Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:19 am

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Sep 28, 2005 at 2:27 am Reason: Wanted to delete post...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Anyone seen them offering the same from the UK ?!? Would jump on such a fare if it were available from here. Too much to ask I guess...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Anyone seen them offering the same from the UK ?!? Would jump on such a fare if it were available from here. Too much to ask I guess...
There is a fare not that much worse from the UK. for an extra GBP144, the World Discovery fare starts at GBP1000 and allows 4 stopovers

Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Denpasar, Mumbai, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Honolulu, Nadi, Los Angeles, New York, Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Cairns or Darwin.

A maximum of 1 stopover in Australia and 1 in New Zealand permitted.

For even more options, the World Discovery Plus starts at GBP1160 and allows 7 stopovers around the world with a maximum of 3 in australia and 3 in New Zealand

These fares are booked in M class for the lowest fares and can also be booked in H class for a slight supplement ( v useful for those collecting FF miles for a Lack of Challenge ) . Travel is permitted on BA/QF/AO flights plus codeshare services and has a max mileage allowance of 29,000 miles though can be increased to 35,000 for a supplement

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:09 pm

Thanks a lot for that Dave, very good to know indeed.

But its funny cos when I had looked at such fares earlier in the year, I was advised that the only fares at such prices were ones via Asia, not ones that could in any way be classed as RTWs/that allowed you to go via US too.

But I see these allow you to go through LAX and NYC (and Hawaii ! ^ ).

Nice mile and SC earners too !

Ta again.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Sep 27, 2005 at 5:21 pm
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:26 pm

Thanks a lot for that Dave, very good to know indeed.

But its funny cos when I had looked at such fares only last year, I was advised that the only fares at such prices were ones via Asia, not ones that could in any way be classed as RTWs/that allowed to go in via US too.

But I see these allow you to go through LAX and NYC.

Nice mile and SC earners too !

Ta again.
V odd. I have used these fares and they have been around for several years. Obviously the price will depend on the season of travel. When I last checked the fare basis was (M|H)(L|J|K|H)DIS2 for the World Discovery Plus depending on whether it was a M or H class booking and the season. It does ( or did , it may have changed I spose ) allow travel either EH/AP , AP/AP or EH/EH depending on your preference

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:40 pm

Maybe, as you say, it was time of year. I may have been quoted the same fare type, but in the £2,300+ range due to lack of availability in lower fare classes. (I was not as well versed then in all things QF, but due to this Forum am vastly better informed/literate now ! ^ )

Hey, I have paid over £1,000 for a Dreamtime Plus fare, that is just a London-Oz return with stops and a couple of internal flights thrown in. Again due to season.

Ta again Dave, will see if I can find dates that suit me in the price range you showed.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Sep 27, 2005 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:58 pm

Maybe, as you say, it was time of year. I may have been quoted the same fare type, but in the £2,300+ range due to lack of availability in lower fare classes. (I was not as well versed then in all things QF, but due to this Forum am vastly better informed/literate now ! ^ )

Hey, I have paid over £1,000 for a Dreamtime Plus fare, that is just a London-Oz return with stops and a couple of internal flights thrown in. Again due to season.

Ta again Dave, will see if I can find dates that suit me in the price range you showed.
The Dreamtime Plus can be used in that manner ; you don't have to fly around the world. I just checked and it is currently a listed fare basis with the H class version approximately GBP90 more than the M class. In high season the fare is around GBP1250 plus taxes , in low season around GBP850 plus taxes

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Rang QF re this, and first the Res agent found it after much searching (and some good-natured grumbling about BA "always doing this to them"), and transferred me to QF Hols who also found it after much searching and proceeded to tell me NZ was excluded as a destination, which cruelled me very quickly as it is one of two places I have to be on this trip.

So to be sure, I rang BA, who confirmed it. The lady at BA knew immediately the fare I was talking about and was very knowledgable about it. It's quite restrictive (she said it has no relationship with any normal OW RTW fare), and she said it would be booked in Q class. Also said it didn't have to be RTW, could be sort of "out-and-back" via different routes eg. Sth Africa/Asia.

So could be a very useful fare, but not for me (unless maybe I do NZ as a separate, prior trip). And sorry, I forgot to ask if there was anywhere I could access the rules myself. Perhaps if you have a good relationship with your TA they would provide you a copy of the rules?

Anyway, appears BA (1300 362 675) certainly know this fare well, and can answer anyone's questions.

Regards
Chris.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sydfly

Ozstamps, I also booked a flight to Europe on LH via the US today. Just out of curiosity: Did you also have to pay an extra $150 for a "transpacific surcharge" on top of all the taxes and fuel surcharges? I've been to my local Fright Centre and they quoted me only the taxes as something like $480 to Germany.

No mention of another $150 for the "transpacific surcharge". That brings my total taxes to around $630 and I'm only flying into Germany (no side trips within Europe and no flights to the Middle East). I think they are ripping me off

If you were not charged this surcharge, may I ask whether you booked directly with LH or with a TA?
I got that cra*p too from LH - AFTER they'd quoted me $532 for "all taxes and extras" on top of the $2,000 fare. Gave therm my Amex last Friday and said "so total charge is going to be $2,532, correct?" and they agreed.

Monday I phoned to get ticket number and agent said not issued yet as "they had forgot to add $150 transpac surcharge". I asked why I was not told, and they did not rightly know.

I said they at was entirely their problem, not mine, and I was paying the quoted $2,532 and that was that. They called MEL-SYD-MEL- then me to say they'd wear it.

Lynn's quote received Monday for identical route was $2,787.32. i.e.

$787.32 in taxes and fees on a fairly simple ticket with 1 stop

FWIW I phoned Best Flights on this ticket, and their price was $1,905 plus taxes. But, they charge 4% to use Amex = $1,905 plus $787 = $2692 x 4% = $A2,800.

i.e. higher than booking via LH direct who accept Amex at no fee. Also as LH make bookings, all upgrades I can do direct with them and not need to fluff about with Best Flights.

And LH were able to waive the $150 for me, and Best flights would certainly not have been able to. I always book direct with carrier if price is similar. I am $150 ahead on this one. for that reason!

Last edited by ozstamps; Sep 27, 2005 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:26 am

technical changes to make it more correct!

I did some investigation to try and find some more details on this deal.

I even have a set of Rules for what is supposedly the offer.

The offer (assuming I have the right one!) isn't a RTW. It is an Aus-Europe return fare.

Fares are in Q class.
Some snippets.

Flights must be on QF/BA/AO/BD/EI/AY/IB
4 Stopovers permitted. 2 in each direction.
6 transfers permitted.
Non-refundable. Ticket does not appear to be flexible.

----

Found what I believe to be the Routings list. This routing list is from SYD to LHR. :

QTE F/B BK FARE EFF EXP TKT AP MIN/MAX RTG
1 - QLALL1Y Q R 1494.00 - - 11OC ?? -/ - AP01

QF SYDLON.EH MPM 13220 V-ATPCO
QTE F/B BK FARE EFF EXP TKT AP MIN/MAX RTG
2 - QLALL1Y Q R 1494.00 - - 11OC ?? -/ - EH01

*** USE OF YY NLX TYPE FARES SYD-LON NOT PERMITTED ON QF ***

AP01 /VIA THE ATLANTIC AND PACIFIC/
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-BJS/BKK/BOM/HKG
/JNB/SHA/SIN/TYO-BA/QF-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM
/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-
LON
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-LAX-BA/QF-LAX/
NYC/SFO-BA/QF-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/
BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-LON
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-LAX-ATL/BOS/CHI
/DEN/DFW/DTT/HOU/MIA/NYC/SFO/WAS-BA-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-
FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY
/BA/EI/IB/QF-LON
BETWEEN ATL AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN BOS AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN CHI AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DEN AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DFW AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DTT AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN HOU AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND MIA SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND NYC SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND SFO SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND WAS SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
EH01 /WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-BJS/BKK/BOM/HKG
/JNB/SHA/SIN/TYO-BA/QF-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM
/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-
LON
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-LAX-BA/QF-LAX/
NYC/SFO-BA/QF-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/
BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-LON
SYD-AO/BA/QF-BNE/CNS/DRW/MEL/PER-AO/BA/QF-LAX-ATL/BOS/CHI
/DEN/DFW/DTT/HOU/MIA/NYC/SFO/WAS-BA-LON-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-
FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY/BA/EI/IB/QF-FRA/HEL/PAR/ROM/ZRH-AY
/BA/EI/IB/QF-LON
BETWEEN ATL AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN BOS AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN CHI AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DEN AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DFW AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN DTT AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN HOU AND LAX SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND MIA SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND NYC SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND SFO SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED
BETWEEN LAX AND WAS SURFACE SECTOR REQUIRED

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Sep 28, 2005 at 3:39 am
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Aus_Mal, well hunted! May well be the same offer, though a few things don't quite gel with what the BA person said to me (and with the e-mail offer) - eg 4 stopovers cf. 5, use of carriers other than QF/BA, RTW vs not-RTW). The BA person did say the ticket was nonflexible, nonrefundable, which matches nicely. Would be much easier if the airlines just made these T&C's easily available to Joe Public (include a link to them with the offer)...sigh

Cheers
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Aus_Mal, well hunted! May well be the same offer, though a few things don't quite gel with what the BA person said to me (and with the e-mail offer) - eg 4 stopovers cf. 5, use of carriers other than QF/BA, RTW vs not-RTW). The BA person did say the ticket was nonflexible, nonrefundable, which matches nicely. Would be much easier if the airlines just made these T&C's easily available to Joe Public (include a link to them with the offer)...sigh

Cheers
5 stopovers in my fare. 2 each way to Europe. 1 in Europe. 2 on the way back.
Not sure about the carrier's bit. Think sometimes you have to use non QF/BA to get to the locations available.
My fare also must be booked and ticketted by 11 Oct.

Co-incidence? Hmmm. Fare looks about right too ($1494 + tax would be around $2K).
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I did some investigation to try and find some more details on this deal.

I even have a set of Rules for what is supposedly the offer.

The offer (assuming I have the right one!) isn't a RTW. It is an Aus-Europe return fare.

Fares are in Q class.
:

Hi guys

I went into the QF booking office in MEL today and can confirm that the detailed fare rules above are not the same ones I was given.

Without all the details, the fare was booked in O class (certainly for BA, and they thought for QF as well).

The QF fare was valid until 26 February (blackout dates over Christmas), while the BA fare was valid through the end of April.

Both fares were quite restrictive and allowed the gateways in the states of only LAX or JFK. No others. (I wanted to go ex TPA).

Coming back the stop-overs were also quite restrictive, allowing NRT/BKK/SIN plus a couple of others - but not BOM etc as mentioned above: JNB was also an option.

I have seen the fare rules on bestflights.com allowing AY/EI in Europe, but I just wanted to go to BUD. The agent is getting back to me with a detailed costing 'cause I wanted to add some domestic flights in the US as well (which amazingly worked out cheaper on the the QF system than the best available fare on AA.com! And of course the advantage that I can buy them now.)

Regards

WG
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:57 am

Excess complexity and confusion thanks to a wonderfully advertised offer.

Thanks BA. Next time, please give us something better to work from rather than having to chase our own tails...

Even QF/BA staff probably can't decide what the correct offer is!

Think I'm getting to the bottom of things:

From the Qantas Agent's site:
http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/index/index
"Effective immediately low and shoulder season fare levels have been reduced and stopover allowance increased to 2 in each direction on the Australia to UK/Europe Limited Duration Sale Fare (Q*ALL1Y). "

Maybe the person I was speaking to thought that was the special fare?!

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Sep 28, 2005 at 4:05 am
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Both the QF and BA promos were on photocopied sheets. The BA clearly stating $1999 (taking up about 1/2 the page).

The difference with these fares was the $200 land credit. The agent I sat down with didn't even know of the fare offer (even though the QF one was in the window). She was amazed at the low cost incl. taxes. She was even more amazed at the BA deal being valid for an extra two months.

Anyways - she said b/c of the $200 credit - it was treated as a 'package' deal (not sure if she mentioned the fare was similar to an IT component - I might have imagined that).

Regards

WG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.