Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF/BA RTW from $A1999 **INCLUDING** taxes with $200 land credit too.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Common guys!!

Who's got some more info? Booking class etc? I can't find anything on the QF or BA sites.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Oddly even now I can't see it on travel.com or bestflights.

Closest new RTW offer they have is this:

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2080
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rosesplus
Common guys!!

Who's got some more info? Booking class etc? I can't find anything on the QF or BA sites.
This looks to be the info you're wanting - http://www.batraveltrade.com/cms/b2b...s/news/ALL.pdf - certainly seems to be the right fare anyway! ^
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh

This looks to be the info you're wanting - http://www.batraveltrade.com/cms/b2b...s/news/ALL.pdf - certainly seems to be the right fare anyway! ^
Not so sure.

You appear to have the found the one I posted from bestflights - 4 stops, tax not included, and no $200 free content.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We all know how insane RTW fees/taxes are, and going up all the time and here is a perfect example.

I booked a ticket to Tel Aviv (via USA both ways) on Friday with LH and paid exactly $2,000 plus $532 extras = $A2,532 and my Amex was debited for that. $532 in taxes etc.

Today Lynn decided she may in fact get time from work to come too, so I went to book hers:

Total: AUD 2,787.32. Exact same dates and flight class as mine.

Same $2,000 base fare, but LH had increased all their fuel surcharges over the weekend.

$787.32 in taxes and fees is a joke on a ticket with just 1 stopover, so grab this one while you can if QF and BA are paying taxes is my advice.

Last edited by ozstamps; Sep 26, 2005 at 8:37 pm Reason: HTML coding
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
thats nearly A$100 per sector - can think of others that are worse
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:50 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
note that the $1999 is an example only that includes taxes. From the original posting:
Originally Posted by ozstamps
... from just $1,999 including taxes.

and prices will vary due to surcharges, fees and taxes.
Its still a great deal though, especially if the $200 gound component is without catches. But obviously the total amount to pay could be significantly more than $1999 if you route creatively with the full complement of stopovers etc.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NM

note that the $1999 is an example only that includes taxes. From the original posting:
Agree, but remember the email came from BA itself not a TA. Therefore anyone booking the exact quoted routing they gave in their email could legally expect the $1,999 to be a set in cement all up figure, with $200 of Hotels etc also included, as per this post from above:

Offer seems really short of hard detail, or a weblink to check data on, and all they say on the tax front is - "Price quoted is based on an itinerary Sydney, Los Angeles, London, Bangkok and Sydney."

Even so, that is probably $400-$500 in taxes right there I'd guess? With the $200 credit, it effectively becomes a ~$A1300 + tax RTW.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:44 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Agree, but remember the email came from BA itself not a TA. Therefore anyone booking the exact quoted routing they gave in their email could legally expect the $1,999 to be a set in cement all up figure, with $200 of Hotels etc also included, as per this post from above:
Yes, I agree. And the example itinerary of SYD-LAX-LHR-BKK-SYD is a pretty basic RTW option. Once could also expect to able to route something like this (with max of 5 being stopovers):
PER-SYD-AKL-LAX-JFK-LHR-anywhere in BA's European network-FRA-SIN-BNE-PER

And I am sure others can come up with even more exotic routings. And that is certainly going to cost more in taxes/charges than their example.

Either way, its a fantastic deal. Would be good to know what booking class is used. Will be even better deal if its in L (same as OneWorld Explorer) as the QF sectors would be upgradable. If booked in N, O or Q, it is not upgradable. And N and Q are non-earning for AA program, while L at least earns 50% towards EQM. BA L fares are worse for AA earning, but at least N, O and Q do earn something (little) except of course for trans-Atlantic to/from USA.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NM - yes I find it strange the more detailed rules are not published either by QF or BA.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:44 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuapekastar

But seeing I don't know, I'm going to have to ask exactly what means.

Five stopovers? (A stopover being >24 hrs at a port)?

Yep.
Thanks for the clarification ozstamps. Better for me to be sure about these things than doing lots of planning using incorrect assumptions as a base. Like you, I would like to see detailed written rules for this fare. You tend to wonder should the terms detailed in the e-mail be read "in conjunction with", or bear any similarity to, regular *ONE* rules, or is this a different beast altogether, with a set of rules all it's own? I suspect the latter, but looks like it'll take a call to BA or QF (or a TA) to find out.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:55 am

I have looked quite hard for a set of rules, or even an online promotion of this deal. Have not found it.

Nothing even listed in Qantas' own Qantas Holiday's Agent site. Nothing on BA's site.

Hmmm. Would really like to know some more about it before I call up BA/Qantas. Hate sounding like I'm just fishing for information and wasting their time!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Oddly even now I can't see it on travel.com or bestflights.

Closest new RTW offer they have is this:

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2080
Hi Oz

I thought I had found a fare for about $1365 last week on bestflights - which was the originator for my post on the QF second seat question (I quoted the price in the thread) - but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I went to the QF booking office in Melb today (Collins Street) - they are offering the deal for $1993 - via LA, the price goes up if you choose other 'stopovers' - JFK was $2099 for example. That fare did include taxes and $200.

Regards

WG
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:27 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
We all know how insane RTW fees/taxes are, and going up all the time and here is a perfect example.

I booked a ticket to Tel Aviv (via USA both ways) on Friday with LH and paid exactly $2,000 plus $532 extras = $A2,532 and my Amex was debited for that. $532 in taxes etc.

Today Lynn decided she may in fact get time from work to come too, so I went to book hers:

Total: AUD 2,787.32. Exact same dates and flight class as mine.

Same $2,000 base fare, but LH had increased all their fuel surcharges over the weekend.

$787.32 in taxes and fees is a joke on a ticket with just 1 stopover, so grab this one while you can if QF and BA are paying taxes is my advice.
Ozstamps, I also booked a flight to Europe on LH via the US today. Just out of curiosity: Did you also have to pay an extra $150 for a "transpacific surcharge" on top of all the taxes and fuel surcharges? I've been to my local Fright Centre and they quoted me only the taxes as something like $480 to Germany. No mention of another $150 for the "transpacific surcharge". That brings my total taxes to around $630 and I'm only flying into Germany (no side trips within Europe and no flights to the Middle East). I think they are ripping me off

If you were not charged this surcharge, may I ask whether you booked directly with LH or with a TA?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Posted by Aus_Mal
I have looked quite hard for a set of rules, or even an online promotion of this deal. Have not found it.

Nothing even listed in Qantas' own Qantas Holiday's Agent site. Nothing on BA's site.

Hmmm. Would really like to know some more about it before I call up BA/Qantas. Hate sounding like I'm just fishing for information and wasting their time!
Agree Aus_Mal. Would be excellent to have a written copy of the rules. But I have searched websites also with no result, and see no alternative other than ringing up QF/BA/TA and getting the rules over the phone (perhaps they could e-mail something on request)? Mind you, if they provide no alternative then I have no guilt or qualms about taking up their time!!

I alluded in an earlier post as to whether this offer fell under the broad umbrella of Oneworld RTW fare rules, or whether it is a discrete offer, operating completely under it's own set of rules. Cannot really plan without that info.

Anyone have an opinion (or better still, does anyone know) about that?

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.