Wiki Posts
Search

MEL-MAN Using Oneworld FF Points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by NM
How about not limiting yourself to MEL-SIN-LHR route. How about MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR or MEL-SYD-BKK-LHR or as willyroo has already suggested a mixed QF/BA via HKG.
Because - in all honesty - I hadn't even thought about it , nor was it mentioned by the very kind QFF CSE

So - thinking about my options - I could go through virtually any SEA port where the two networks connect? (eg HKG, SIN, NRT - though timings may not always be convenient)

BD
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:52 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Ahh, that is why we use FT and not just rely on the CSA's .

Yes, you could use any joint port. But I would be trying to maximise the WT+ component, so that means BA going SYD-BKK-LHR or MEL-SIN-LHR. If you have to go MEL-SIN-HKG-LHR you will need to use CX for the SIN-HKG (or SIN-NRT or a host of other places) and that puts you into the OneWorld Award table and that costs slightly more points.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
"Advise from QF: phone tomorrow and book, as Silver can remake booking for when I really want without penalty. Unfortunately, Mrs BD will still be slugged the 5,000 penalty, then phone back mid October to book the return leg ex LHR on 29 Sep 2005."

Whose points are you using for Mrs BD's flights? Yours or hers?

If using YOUR points for the trouble-and-strifes booking then it will be subject to the same conditions as you, namely no change fee. It is the status of the owner of the points that dictates conditions, not the passenger.

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
You mention you could stretch the points to go J rather than WT+ . I would recommend going J.

137500 for WT+, 220k for J - no brainer if there is J availability.

With QF or BA operating on Aus-SIN/BKK/HKG-LHR/FRA-MAN you open up a wide variety of options.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta

Whose points are you using for Mrs BD's flights? Yours or hers?

If using YOUR points for the trouble-and-strifes booking then it will be subject to the same conditions as you, namely no change fee. It is the status of the owner of the points that dictates conditions, not the passenger.

Dave
Dave, Mrs BD will be using her own points (sans status).

BD
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:30 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by BD1959
Dave, Mrs BD will be using her own points (sans status).

BD
Ahh, yes, there is nothing more perverse than the dreaded SSS (Sans Satstus Spouse).
Old Oct 17, 2004, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys,

Have just spent 45mins getting my flights booked - and as suggested here - the only available routing was via Hong Kong, but there's a slight snag....(isn't there always?..)

The itinery calls not only for HKG, but also SYD on the way out. Apparently SYD, HKG, LHR, MAN, LHR, HKG broke the maximum of 5 transit points on one itinery, so the only way we've been able to book this is SYD-HKG-LHR-MAN-LHR-HKG-MEL which leaves Mrs BD and myself needing to get to SYD for a 10:45am departure.

Superficially this seems to be a no-brainer: book QF129 and get into SYD for 8:50 which also means not having to change terminals in SYD ....but ....

MEL in Sept - the chances of fog have to be pretty high. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 129 is ex MEL, so diversions on incoming EQU wouldn't be a prob - and I guess the chances of a flight being delayed by up to 2hrs are slim?

Do folks think this is allowing enough time - I guess that enough through pax ex MEL would result in the HKG flight itself being delayed?

Advice?

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.