FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   MEL-MAN Using Oneworld FF Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/340588-mel-man-using-oneworld-ff-points.html)

BD1959 Jul 26, 2004 4:46 pm

MEL-MAN Using Oneworld FF Points

My first post, so be gentle with me!!!

I'm looking to fly MEL-MAN-MEL in Sept 05 using QANTAS FF Points - or a combination of points and tickets.

Basically, my wife is insistent that we don't spend 22 hrs stuck on an economy plank (this after we recently flew QF MEL-BME-MEL with our knees sticking into the rear of the seat in front).

I've spoken to QF FF centre about options and got a very confused CSE. She initially told me I couldn't use QF FF points to "buy" WT+ seats on BA - but then changed her story and told me that I could for 137,500 points (the QF FF website is no help at all when trying to work out redemptions on WT+) as opposed to 110,000 for the trip in WT.

Business Class is an option, but at 220,000 each it'd basically wipe us out of points. Unfortunately, using Oneworld it looks like being a two-stop flight in either direction. Also - due to the lack of WTP seats per BA flight I guess I'm going to have to lock in pretty soon into this September (I'm told international FF redemptions open 355days in advance).

CX's website has the Asia Miles calculator on it. It offers QF MEL-LHR-MEL at 110,000 for Economy (same as QANTAS), 145,000 for Business and 210,000 first class. Why is Business only 31% higher than economy when booked through Asia Miles, but 100% when booked with QF themselves??

- Is this a solution? Can I convert QANTAS FF points to Asia Miles and then redeem at a 70% discount?

Any advise would be appreciated,

BD1959

Dave Noble Jul 26, 2004 5:40 pm

"I've spoken to QF FF centre about options and got a very confused CSE. She initially told me I couldn't use QF FF points to "buy" WT+ seats on BA - but then changed her story and told me that I could for 137,500 points (the QF FF website is no help at all when trying to work out redemptions on WT+) as opposed to 110,000 for the trip in WT."

The website does state that WT+ is available at 25% surcharge on the regular economy redemption; how much more help should they provide?. Instead of 110k for Y, it is 137.5k for WT+

"Unfortunately, using Oneworld it looks like being a two-stop flight in either direction."

Unless you drive to LHR :)

"CX's website has the Asia Miles calculator on it. It offers QF MEL-LHR-MEL at 110,000 for Economy (same as QANTAS), 145,000 for Business and 210,000 first class. Why is Business only 31% higher than economy when booked through Asia Miles, but 100% when booked with QF themselves??"

Different FF schemes charge differing amounts. AA , for example charges about 80k, 120k, 160k for Y/J/F to Australia

"Can I convert QANTAS FF points to Asia Miles and then redeem at a 70% discount?"

No.

As far as advice goes, I would recommend the WT+ option meself.

Dave

number_6 Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm

The reason that Asiamiles requires fewer miles is because Asiamiles are worth more than most other plans -- they are harder to earn (a secondary reason is that generally QF awards cost more than the other OW FF plans -- but that is because QF is stingy and has enough of a monopoly to get away with it). The corollary to this discrepancy is that the airlines actively seek to prevent converting miles between FF plans, so it is no surprise that you can't engage in a bit of arbitrage.
You don't say when you are flying to MAN, but if in spring 2005 you could take the new CX HKG-MAN service (scheduled to start March 2005 but it hasn't been announced yet). You could go MEL-HKG and then HKG-MAN (the latter is a through flight, stopping at either DME or MUC depending on the day of the week). Or take the rumored Backpacker Express service SYD-MAN (it should have regulatory approval by then), however that is definitely not OW, and might give new meaning to "back of the bus". Wonder if they'll have seats, or just sell "standing room only" flights.

BD1959 Jul 26, 2004 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The website does state that WT+ is available at 25% surcharge on the regular economy redemption; how much more help should they provide?. Instead of 110k for Y, it is 137.5k for WT+

"Unfortunately, using Oneworld it looks like being a two-stop flight in either direction."

Dave

David,

Thanks for the reply. I've double-checked the QF Points Chart page (you konw, the one QANTAS state is for use when redeeming points on partner airlines) it clearly states

"^ The number of points needed for an Award flight on British Airways World Traveller is 25% higher than the number needed for an Economy Award flight on Qantas."

It does NOT say the number need in WT+ is 25% higher. Yes, personally I would expect their site to be clearer (but that's just me!) .

As for driving MAN-LHR: yeah, right!! Done that lately? With check-in stipulated for 2hrs prior to boarding and allowing for transfers from Car Hire to T4 - you're looking at hitting the M25 carpark just at peak hour for a late evening departure. I realise you put a smiley next to the line, but pleeeeease!!

BD1959

BD1959 Jul 26, 2004 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
You don't say when you are flying to MAN, but if in spring 2005 you could take the new CX HKG-MAN service (scheduled to start March 2005 but it hasn't been announced yet). You could go MEL-HKG and then HKG-MAN (the latter is a through flight, stopping at either DME or MUC depending on the day of the week). Or take the rumored Backpacker Express service SYD-MAN (it should have regulatory approval by then), however that is definitely not OW, and might give new meaning to "back of the bus". Wonder if they'll have seats, or just sell "standing room only" flights.

Thanks Number_6. I'm looking to fly Sept 2005 (hence the need to get my options sorted ready to book ASAP after the booking period opens). CX looks like a possibility - certain would beat transitting T4-T1 at LHR. ANy idea when these flights will be officially announced?

BD1959

number_6 Jul 26, 2004 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
Any idea when these flights will be officially announced?

Probably december 2004, but who knows? Service is likely to be either 2x or 4x a week (depends on plane deliveries as CX is short on capacity now). But QF had ORD-MEL service in the schedule (and tickets sold) until the week prior to starting the service (twice) and never did fly any planes on that route. CX does have a thriving cargo business at MAN with staff working there (used to also have HKG-AMS-MAN pax service, so the rumored return is credible, esp. as CX can't get slots/gates for LHR).

Dave Noble Jul 26, 2004 9:42 pm

"It does NOT say the number need in WT+ is 25% higher. Yes, personally I would expect their site to be clearer (but that's just me!) . "

Good point. I hadn't noticed the error on the website. It should say that World Traveller Plus is 25% extra in cost

"As for driving MAN-LHR: yeah, right!! Done that lately? With check-in stipulated for 2hrs prior to boarding and allowing for transfers from Car Hire to T4 - you're looking at hitting the M25 carpark just at peak hour for a late evening departure. I realise you put a smiley next to the line, but pleeeeease!!"

Well, obviously I wasnt being serious :) Driving from Manchester to London when you can fly it for free as part of your award would be pretty insane.

I do think that the WT+ award is the best value one to go for ( though not as good when WPs got WT+ upgrade from WT for free until this year )

Dave

BD1959 Jul 26, 2004 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

I do think that the WT+ award is the best value one to go for ( though not as good when WPs got WT+ upgrade from WT for free until this year )

Dave

Thanks for the advise on best value - can you expand "WP" for me? As I said above, this is my first post and I've noticed the use of a lot of acronyms I'm not yet used to. Is there a thread anywhere to explain WP, SC etc etc?

BD1959

NM Jul 26, 2004 11:38 pm

Thanks for the advise on best value - can you expand "WP" for me? As I said above, this is my first post and I've noticed the use of a lot of acronyms I'm not yet used to. Is there a thread anywhere to explain WP, SC etc etc?

BD1959

Best way to understand will be to read this hitorical thread.

Edited to add this thread as well.

og Jul 27, 2004 6:32 am

NMs spelling of historical is consistent with the state of mind of the BNE FT participants after the event. Maybe his name should be changed to "top shelf".

Can strongly recommend the WT+ option.

pds Jul 27, 2004 1:27 pm

M6 toll road london to manchester

maybe slightly off topic, but there is a brilliant new m6 toll road the whole way round birmingham - makes the whole journey a gazillion times better !!!

NM Jul 27, 2004 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by og
NMs spelling of historical is consistent with the state of mind of the BNE FT participants after the event. Maybe his name should be changed to "top shelf".

:D . My typing has never been my strongest attribute! At least it was not described as a histerical thread :p .

Cheers NM

BD1959 Sep 27, 2004 9:42 pm

Back on thread again.....

Spoke with the QFF Centre this morning - I'm ready to book BA WT+ September next year for m'self and Mrs BD.

Firstly, bookings only open to 15 Sep.
Secondly, only availablility for MEL-SIN, nothing SIN-LHR.
Thirdly, cannot tell if 16 Sep will be any different tomorrow because BA have not yet released them.

Advise from QF: phone tomorrow and book, as Silver can remake booking for when I really want without penalty. Unfortunately, Mrs BD will still be slugged the 5,000 penalty, then phone back mid October to book the return leg ex LHR on 29 Sep 2005.

My question: why is this so difficult? I appreciate there's a 355 booking limit, but do these alliance partners REALLY not talk with each other except just dumping availability into each others systems? Also, given the small WT+ Cabin, are we really wise to wait until mid October to try and book our dates and given the lack of availablity already for 15 Sep would we really stand any chance of getting a booking with points?

Does anyone know how much of the WT+ cabin BA make available to partner FF schemes?

BD1959

willyroo Sep 27, 2004 11:06 pm

Firstly, bookings only open to 15 Sep.
Secondly, only availablility for MEL-SIN, nothing SIN-LHR.

You could also try WT+ HKG-LHR - I've had no problems with availability on that route. It does mean an aircraft change, and QF WHY to HKG. But WHY for 8 hours or so is bearable - and it might just get you the seats you need.

Another alternative is CX in WHY - I think they're starting a HKG-MAN direct...

NM Sep 28, 2004 12:08 am

How about not limiting yourself to MEL-SIN-LHR route. How about MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR or MEL-SYD-BKK-LHR or as willyroo has already suggested a mixed QF/BA via HKG.