Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Making a RTW reward booking on Qantas.com result error

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Hello there,

I attempted to input my Round-the-World (RTW) flight details (14 flights, <=5 stopovers, others are transfer under 24hrs) into the multi-city booking page. It permits the input of six or more flights, but it generates an error when more than six flights are submitted.

Therefore, I've chosen to contact a booking agent for assistance. Interestingly, the availability displayed on the website does not align with what the agent's terminal shows, especially regarding the availability of most Cathay Pacific (CX) and Japan Airlines (JL) flights, which are not visible to the agent.

Experflyer also does not display reward seats for Cathay Pacific (CX) and Japan Airlines (JL). Could someone kindly provide guidance on where I can access the same availability that the Qantas (QF) agent sees? This will help me adjust my itinerary accordingly. Alternatively, I'd appreciate any advice on how to successfully book a Round-the-World (RTW) trip with 14 flights.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly what type of "Round-the-World (RTW)" ticket are you trying to get? Award with QF ff points, Oneworld Global (cash) or what ever?
Class of travel? Fare booking class/letter?
All have different rules

OP's other threads in the last few days

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 27, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by elmoufoken
Hello there,

I attempted to input my Round-the-World (RTW) flight details (14 flights, <=5 stopovers, others are transfer under 24hrs) into the multi-city booking page. It permits the input of six or more flights, but it generates an error when more than six flights are submitted.

Therefore, I've chosen to contact a booking agent for assistance. Interestingly, the availability displayed on the website does not align with what the agent's terminal shows, especially regarding the availability of most Cathay Pacific (CX) and Japan Airlines (JL) flights, which are not visible to the agent.

Experflyer also does not display reward seats for Cathay Pacific (CX) and Japan Airlines (JL). Could someone kindly provide guidance on where I can access the same availability that the Qantas (QF) agent sees? This will help me adjust my itinerary accordingly. Alternatively, I'd appreciate any advice on how to successfully book a Round-the-World (RTW) trip with 14 flights.

14 flights will have to be done via the call centre - what the agent see is live availability, what the website shows is (unfortunately, not). I've heard using AA or BA is a pretty good tool to display those carriers availability. Or even directly with the carrier themselves, but then either of these doesnt guarantee the same inventory has been released to QF.

Also, you are not booking a RTW if you are using points - you are booking a oneworld classic flight reward. A key difference is the latter doesnt require you to go 'round the world'.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:16 am
Original Poster

I want to clarify something about the classic flight reward, specifically the one that requires 132,400 points for an economy class ticket with a maximum of 35,000 miles.

It's quite interesting that the JL CX flight classic reward seats are visible and bookable on the qantas.com website, with many availabilities shown. However, when checking on the terminal, there don't seem to be any available seats. Additionally, many QF international reward seats for the third quarter of next year are also displayed as available and bookable on the website, but there is no X or U registered on the terminal for the second quarter and onwards.

Is it possible for me to begin the itinerary by making bookings for the JL/CX flights that are visible and bookable on their website, and then later get in touch with the call center to add terminal-visible flights that might be scheduled between or after those initial booked flights?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to clarify something about the classic flight reward, specifically the one that requires 132,400 points for an economy class ticket with a maximum of 35,000 miles.
Presumably the "Qantas Classic Flight Reward" --Zone 10 19,201 - 35,000 return miles, 132400 QF points
Asking a QF phone agent about a "Round the world award" will confuse them as no such award exits.
AFF thread--> https://www.australianfrequentflyer....e-thread.8228/
From AFF some phone agents totally mess up these awards (can be complicated)..

https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/frequen....html#oneworld
The oneworld Classic Flight Reward table is based on return flights, unlike the Qantas Classic Flight Reward table.

The oneworld Classic Flight Reward table only applies when your Reward Itinerary includes travel on at least two oneworld Member Airlines other than Qantas, and does not include any travel on any airline that is not a oneworld Member Airline. Qantas flights operated by Jetstar Airlines (JQ, 3K or GK)^^ cannot be included in oneworld Classic Flight Rewards.

Other conditions apply to oneworld Classic Flight Rewards.
globalwanderer84 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 4:59 pm

It's quite interesting that the JL CX flight classic reward seats are visible and bookable on the qantas.com website, with many availabilities shown. However, when checking on the terminal, there don't seem to be any available seats. Additionally, many QF international reward seats for the third quarter of next year are also displayed as available and bookable on the website, but there is no X or U registered on the terminal for the second quarter and onwards.

Is it possible for me to begin the itinerary by making bookings for the JL/CX flights that are visible and bookable on their website, and then later get in touch with the call center to add terminal-visible flights that might be scheduled between or after those initial booked flights?
What is this 'terminal' you keep talking about? If the QF CC can't see the inventory, then there is none that has been released to QF. As I've stated before: CX availability on CX site and JL availability on JL site does not equate to that same availability being released to QF and hence able to be seen by any QF booking channel.

What also might be complicating things is that partner availability on the website is not live, while the call centre is. Its a known problem of booking partner airlines depending on how often refreshed availability is made to QF.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Last edited by globalwanderer84; Oct 2, 2023 at 4:59 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Oct 2, 2023, 8:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by globalwanderer84

What also might be complicating things is that partner availability on the website is not live, while the call centre is. It’s a known problem of booking partner airlines depending on how often refreshed availability is made to QF.
Yes. Another complication is appearance of abundant “phantom availability” which is availability that appears but doesn’t succeed in being booked/ ticketed. Some partners are notorious for this e.g. MH. Phoning an agent doesn’t help - they just say “not available”.
globalwanderer84 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
What is this 'terminal' you keep talking about? If the QF CC can't see the inventory, then there is none that has been released to QF. As I've stated before: CX availability on CX site and JL availability on JL site does not equate to that same availability being released to QF and hence able to be seen by any QF booking channel.

What also might be complicating things is that partner availability on the website is not live, while the call centre is. Its a known problem of booking partner airlines depending on how often refreshed availability is made to QF.
This is a known problem.

Overseas call agents can’t see or book flights to add them to existing bookings. The availability is real, but they aren’t trained to find and add it.

If you ask the agent to start a new booking they will be able to see it, but can’t then add it to the existing booking. There is no known workaround, other than multiple calls to find the agent that knows how to do it. This can take multiple calls… as in four, five or more.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This is a known problem.

Overseas call agents can’t see or book flights to add them to existing bookings. The availability is real, but they aren’t trained to find and add it.

If you ask the agent to start a new booking they will be able to see it, but can’t then add it to the existing booking. There is no known workaround, other than multiple calls to find the agent that knows how to do it. This can take multiple calls… as in four, five or more.
Possibly, but you have no way to confirm availability. As I stated multiple times, just because partner inventory has been released to the prime carrier does not mean that inventory is released to all partners.

I don't believe there is user error here because the first thing an agent does is to search the inventory in isolation of everything else - essentially starting a new booking. In this very first search, if it is not there, it really is not there. An agent can't go hunting for inventory. The only time where your argument may be correct is where there is married segment rules at play and the punter is trying to search only one of the two legs rather than the whole route.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Possibly, but you have no way to confirm availability. As I stated multiple times, just because partner inventory has been released to the prime carrier does not mean that inventory is released to all partners.

I don't believe there is user error here because the first thing an agent does is to search the inventory in isolation of everything else - essentially starting a new booking. In this very first search, if it is not there, it really is not there. An agent can't go hunting for inventory. The only time where your argument may be correct is where there is married segment rules at play and the punter is trying to search only one of the two legs rather than the whole route.
Easy to confirm availability because if you ask the agent to make a completely new booking they can see the flights and put them in a PNR.

Alternatively, on line we can see the availability and go right through to the payment page.

If you then ask the agent to put those flights into an existing booking, they cannot ‘see’ them. Often the agent will tell you to book them yourself as a new booking and they will add them to the existing booking, but of course that defeats the purpose of a through award price.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Easy to confirm availability because if you ask the agent to make a completely new booking they can see the flights and put them in a PNR.

Alternatively, on line we can see the availability and go right through to the payment page.

If you then ask the agent to put those flights into an existing booking, they cannot ‘see’ them. Often the agent will tell you to book them yourself as a new booking and they will add them to the existing booking, but of course that defeats the purpose of a through award price.
Yes, in that scenario you are correct, but I don't believe that is what the OP is stating as the inventory can't be searched at all - even as a standalone PNR - and is comparing to the website availability, which we all know is old data.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How does married segments fit into this. I have had some instance where I have seen individual flights but they could not be combined, or combinations that could not be separated. Could be operator error but it was HBA team? (Sorry I forget the exact combination other than it was JL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.