Qantas - status and seating

Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Qantas - status and seating

Hi folks

First flight with Qantas coming up and Iím trying to select seats.

My OW status is Emerald and this is reflected in my booking, but I cannot book a seat. All are either blocked or trying to charge me.

Looking at ExpertFlyer the seat maps donít match (same seat is available on Qantas but taken on EF, and vice versa)

Any advice on how to resolve this, save spending a couple of hours on the phone to Qantas?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I have a number of avios bookings on QF. As GGL/OWE, Iíve had no issue choosing seats with my FF number in the booking.
On QF domestics Iím unable to book row 4 or 5 (front rows of economy) and I have to pay for overwing exit seats. I can book row 4 and 5 on trans-Tasman flights. Having flown in row 4 MEL-AKL, itís the row to get.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Class of travel? Route?
Overwing exit seats are not free, no matter what status.
Row 4 & 5 on B737 are for those with high QF status.
At T-80 more seats can become available for selection, including rows 4 & 5.
Yes: on B737 row 4 is the one to aim for.
QF-->Seat selection
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VFC Gold
Row 4 and 5 become available for o/w emeralds from -80 hours (they are held for their own platinum one (like GGL) customers until then. Good to set a reminder to go in then and pick them before they go.
nancypants and andrewr1985 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've never had an issue either. As others say, some more rows may become available at t-80, or sometimes at t-24
andrewr1985 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Apologies - first post was very vague.

This is LHR - SIN in PE, A380
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If the cabin is near to full, you can’t select seats.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:07 am

I'm also experiencing the same issue as OP. When I attach my OW emerald to the booking, I'm unable to select any seat without it charging. At first, it shows the available seats as $0, but when I go to confirm, it recalculates and tries to charge me for the seats. I've swapped the FF number to my Qantas bronze and I'm allowed to select seats for free, albeit with a smaller selection compared to OW emerald.
I thought OW emeralds get a better selection of free seats than Qantas bronze.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Glitch maybe or clear cookies log out and in again? It's certainly true that as Emerald you do tend to get further up the cabin (but not all available seats) than say QF silver card holder (I'm emerald and wife QF Silver) so we see this a lot. Seats such as emergency exits etc though are chargeable.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From OW subforum OWE seating benefits on QF

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Reviving this threat - One world Emerald, having to fly QF to BNE as NZ is full!
Can't see any decent seats on QF142 leaving July 17th - should I be able to see at least some premium seating?

Apologies, I cannot understand any of the abbreviations here (CL?) WP1 (platinum one QF?)
What premium seating are you hoping for?
Exit row seats have a fee, no what QF or or other OW airline status the passenger has.

Look at T-80 (3 days plus 8 hrs) and T-24 as more QF seat allocations become available.
But keep looking during this time, as people shift around, change flights, what ever.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Heya

Currently can only see seats in second Economy cabin of the A330, nothing in the first 10 rows of Economy. Using NZ as a comparison this is hard to believe -(in that they are ALL taken) as even on short notice bookings NZ still has not to bad availability in the NZ FF zones.

Was not sure if I can see exactly what a QF platinum / Plat 1 would see. The forum talks about row 4/5 on 737 TT but the answers seem highly variable on what a OWE can see vs. QF Plat
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Did not want to waste hours at the QF call centre so contacted Qatar via their online chat, added number within 2 minutes and opened up seat select.
for those interested, this is the seat map after that discussion - wide open in first cabin. Curious if a QF platinum would see more?

new seat map post OWE update.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
Hi folks

First flight with Qantas coming up and Iím trying to select seats.

My OW status is Emerald and this is reflected in my booking, but I cannot book a seat. All are either blocked or trying to charge me.

Looking at ExpertFlyer the seat maps donít match (same seat is available on Qantas but taken on EF, and vice versa)

Any advice on how to resolve this, save spending a couple of hours on the phone to Qantas?
Many will remain blocked until closer to departure nearer the front and Qantas, being what are (mean!) will also charge for emergency exit seats regardless of status.

Glad QR sorted it for you ..I doubt QF would have ..quickly!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Hello and I apologise if I should be able to find the answer for myself. I am a refugee from the BA board...

My husband and I are lucky enough to be travelling First LHR-SIN and vice versa on QF 1 and 2. We want to sit together but even as Emeralds (BA Gold and BA GGL) there seem to be very few seats available. I had two questions:

First, Am I right that for couples who might want to chat to each other are F and K better than F and A?

Secondly can one sit on the divan and perhaps even eat there together (like on the old BA First) if I cannot get seats adjacent.

I am sorry to trouble you with newbie questions and would be most grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:16 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hsmall
Hello and I apologise if I should be able to find the answer for myself. I am a refugee from the BA board...

My husband and I are lucky enough to be travelling First LHR-SIN and vice versa on QF 1 and 2. We want to sit together but even as Emeralds (BA Gold and BA GGL) there seem to be very few seats available. I had two questions:

First, Am I right that for couples who might want to chat to each other are F and K better than F and A?

Secondly can one sit on the divan and perhaps even eat there together (like on the old BA First) if I cannot get seats adjacent.

I am sorry to trouble you with newbie questions and would be most grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks!
When travelling as a couple we always take 1/2A or 1/2K. I don't really believe you can travel together in a manner that you can talk easily in QF F because of how the seats are oriented.

You can definitely dual dual as shown in the photo on this page https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...ses/first.html.

FYI F does not have status based seating. You should be able to select any seat in the cabin.
hsmall likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.