Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Tens of thousands of new international reward seats to be released Friday 24 Feb

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tens of thousands of new international reward seats to be released Friday 24 Feb

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
shootaaa Welcome to FT

Just looking for LAX-SYD restricts you options a lot. QF flys from/to more airports than just LAX & SYD
Folks in the AS ffp have been getting awards today. By phone seem best.

But is disappointment these awards have *also* been released to partners. And for QF freq flyer days out available is determined by status. Being the same OW equivalent status with another OW ffp those frequent flyers/frequent spenders may have better availability than for QF's own frequent flyers.

From what I have read in the last few hours the partner ffp's web site/phone seem a lot better than the QF's web site/phone for getting awards on QF flights.
Thank you Mwenenzi, this is very helpful! I also read posts saying that people calling partner airlines for booking but only got unconfirmed ticket. I guess QF's system cannot handle such demand.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did they release any awards for January 2024?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
I imagine a lot of bookings are speculative and will likely be cancelled on reflection and/or changed plans. This always seems to happen with booking frenzies-“mistake” fares, unicorn space, etc.
Agree will be speculative one way bookings and when people are not able to get a return will cancel the one away.
Originally Posted by skunker
I was able to get 4x J seats on SFO-SYD at the end of July via AA. The return is coming back with no options though. Might need to just stay...
Getting 4xJ (same flight?) a good achievement but getting a return to USA will be harder.
Originally Posted by beachfan
Did they release any awards for January 2024?
USA to AU in January a peak time. AU schools & universities start the new academic year late Jan/early Feb. So those from AU who have gone to USA-Canada for the holiday season will be looking for flights to AU. Many people take 2-3-4 weeks annual leave in January (summer).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 24, 2023 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Agree will be speculative one way bookings and when people are not able to get a return will cancel the one away.
Getting 4xJ (same flight?) a good achievement but getting a return to USA will be harder.
Yes, all 4 J seats were the same flight on QF74. Looking through dates on EF everything else was 0 seats except that one flight. I was looking to leave from LAX, but only SFO had any availability.
I was able to get 4 seats in PE on QF11 for a return a couple weeks later. Night flight in J and day flight in PE shouldn't be too bad.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by shootaaa
Thank you Mwenenzi, this is very helpful! I also read posts saying that people calling partner airlines for booking but only got unconfirmed ticket. I guess QF's system cannot handle such demand.
have called AA to add on a segment from MEL to PER about 5-6 times already. already have LAX to MEL booked and ticketed. tried through chat as well. every single time they told me that the space from MEL to PER and MEL to SYD was coming back as "unconfirmed" and was unable to book. not really sure why...?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by fremontflyer
have called AA to add on a segment from MEL to PER about 5-6 times already. already have LAX to MEL booked and ticketed. tried through chat as well. every single time they told me that the space from MEL to PER and MEL to SYD was coming back as "unconfirmed" and was unable to book. not really sure why...?
I have had the same issue with AA. Based on a discussion in JAL board, QF is restricting married segments in award inventory, i.e., QF will sell you LAX-MEL and MEL-PER separately, or with a layover in MEL longer than 24 hours, but it will not sell LAX-MEL-PER as a simple thru fare. Now you can either buy MEL-PER separately or build a stopover in MEL on the same ticket. When it gets closer to travel date, QF may remove the married segment restriction, then it is possible to add PER flight after a short layover.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:30 pm

When is the next tranche of award seats being released?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by alfrie
I have had the same issue with AA. Based on a discussion in JAL board, QF is restricting married segments in award inventory, i.e., QF will sell you LAX-MEL and MEL-PER separately, or with a layover in MEL longer than 24 hours, but it will not sell LAX-MEL-PER as a simple thru fare. Now you can either buy MEL-PER separately or build a stopover in MEL on the same ticket. When it gets closer to travel date, QF may remove the married segment restriction, then it is possible to add PER flight after a short layover.
it’s really weird tbh; the entire itinerary shows up on the BA website (though I didn’t try to book it) so I’m not really sure why it doesn’t work if I booked it separately
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

USA to AU in January a peak time. AU schools & universities start the new academic year late Jan/early Feb. So those from AU who have gone to USA-Canada for the holiday season will be looking for flights to AU. Many people take 2-3-4 weeks annual leave in January (summer).
was that a “yes” to whether the release was beyond December 2023? I already snagged LAX-Syd in December.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by electriclarry
Nothing on AA.com so far early Friday morning local time in San Francisco. I have been trying for months and the best I found on SFO-SYD in PE/BC and nothing has come up. A few days in the last six months had coach QF sfo FF coach available but the AA web site would not allow them to be booked. I am hedged on AA.

Is QF sending seats PE/BC to American?
they aren’t showing on line. Have to call- even quicker is to use the chat feature on the app- they can now issue tickets.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
it’s really weird tbh; the entire itinerary shows up on the BA website (though I didn’t try to book it) so I’m not really sure why it doesn’t work if I booked it separately
Does it show up in EF as a single award availability?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Was able to grab 2 seats in J LAX -> BNE and back for October by calling AA, hold time was only ~10min or so. Couldn't get a positioning flight from ORD though so will have to pay separately. FWIW, between when I was first looking and tonight availability has severely dried up it seems. Perhaps we'll get some more over the next few months.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I persisted with the QF website for 90 minutes on Friday. After a busy week, it had completely slipped my mind to try searching a few hours prior to the official release time. After dozens of error messages, including one at the payment stage, I secured 1x MEL-LAX, A380 J on December 21st. I'm a very happy camper as it's now the second year in a row that I've gotten lucky with Christmas reward seats. In December just past, I scored an EK F seat MEL-DXB-MUC departing on December 22nd.

QF released pretty good availability on Friday for MEL-LAX between December 19th and 24th, but obviously it all got snapped up very quickly.

I'll need to find a way to get home to Australia in January 2024, but I'm quite flexible with my plans since I can stay with my relatives for however long I need to, so I'll just keep an eye out for reward seats and good cash fare deals over the next 10 months.
Koru Flyer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by alfrie
anyone try to add on segments through AA yesterday or today? or has anyone been able to tag on a connecting domestic flight while booking?

debating whether i should just book the separate QF flights using 10k AA miles; but I'm struggling deciding between a 1 hr 40 min connection versus an 8 hour one from MEL to CNS. anyone with experience connecting on separate QF tickets at MEL international--> domestic? maybe I'll book both and cancel one on the day of departure depending on if i can make the earlier flight or not

i also have VA flight credits. but the VA flight to CNS departs at 8:50am or 4pm-ish and i do not like my chances of making a 50 min int to domestic connection at MEL, even with egate access because I have a checked bag.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:06 am

Angry No luck adding domestic QF flight onto transpacific award

anyone try to add on segments through AA yesterday or today? or has anyone been able to tag on a connecting domestic flight while booking?
I tried today to add on a domestic Australian segment through AA - no luck. It shows available through the BA website, but does not show available through ExpertFlyer. In years of booking travel awards on QF using AA miles, this is the first time I've ever encountered it. A new, unpublished devaluation of AAdvantage Loyalty Points.

Not to mention the devaluation of being unable to find domestic award space on AA to get you to/from your gateway city for the QF flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.