Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Upgrade Request

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Points Upgrade Request

I'm booked in Economy for SFO-SYD on a Classic Reward Seat later in the year.

Unfortunately there were no Premium Economy Classic Reward seats available at the time of booking but I've done requested an upgrade with points on the Qantas website.

Does anyone know how likely it is to be confirmed or when it would be confirmed?

Also do Qantas offer a "Bid for Upgrade" with cash for intl flights?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Upgrades are first prioritised on the basis of status. I’m uncertain whether OW status is treated equal to QF status, but I’d speculate that QF status comes first. I also believe that the date you enter the upgrade lottery queue helps. Fare subclass is also a factor IIRC.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcupp95
...Also do Qantas offer a "Bid for Upgrade" with cash for intl flights?
Anything showing on https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html
No idea if reward seats are eligible.
QF will fly with empty seats having denied upgrades.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
…..
No idea if reward seats are eligible…..
I was under the impression that “bid now upgrades” only applied to cash fares (not awards), but for my award flights (domestic) this week QF is very keen for me to bid for an upgrade (multiple flights).
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:17 pm

Hello everyoneI have a J ticket on QF11 from SYD to LAX, how much could they ask me to upgrade to F?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingo86
Hello everyone I have a J ticket on QF11 from SYD to LAX, how much could they ask me to upgrade to F?
Paid J issued by QF? The full retail fare difference? A lot
Look here-->Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before getting too excited about upgrading, make sure the 380 is operating the flight rather than the 789. There is a substantial block of time upcoming when IIRC it’s only 789s on the route.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Paid J issued by QF? The full retail fare difference? A lot
Look here-->Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html

Thx. it's a paid J issued by AA unfortunately in the booking I have a J SIN-SYD QF82 and then SYD-LAX operated by QF but sold as AA7374. it seems I cant upgrade
I was maybe hoping to have some chance at the counter last minute, but it doesnt seem the case
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingo86
Thx. it's a paid J issued by AA unfortunately in the booking I have a J SIN-SYD QF82 and then SYD-LAX operated by QF but sold as AA7374. it seems I cant upgrade
I was maybe hoping to have some chance at the counter last minute, but it doesn't seem the case
QF have got rid of most service counters. Check in agents do not deal with money.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Unlike other airlines, I have not seen QF offer airport paid upgrades. Just a fare difference and change fee, if you can find someone to do it. Between points upgrades, email cash bid upgrades, demand, and smaller cabins they have pretty much gained all discretionary revenue well before the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA
Qantas Upgrades

can anyone answer this ?

i am qantas gold i applied for an upgrade i am now sitting on the plane in economy. i have received no update and the qantas app is still showing as upgrade requested. does qantas just ignore some of these upgrade requests ?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That you requested an upgrade does not mean that one will be granted. That you are sat in orginal booking class is simply that the upgrade request didn't clear

If the upgrade had cleared, then you would have been notified

It could simply be that no upgrades were granted for that flight or that there were multiple requests and there were more people higher in the queue than number of upgrades being granted
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As Dave writes, QF runs the upgrades in order of status CL, P1, P, G, S etc. So probably that if there were any upgrades they went to people with higher status. QF does not just ignore requests, also QF may decide even if seats are free to not offer an upgrade - such as catering, people cancelled too close to flight time, or just that QF feels that they should encourage people to pay. The plane type and route of course also plays into it. If you have a request we can look into it and provide a overal thought on what your chances might be. But most time sthey are gobbled up by platinums. The only silver lining to the QF upgrades is that paid (bids) come after FF requests.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qantas Upgrades

Originally Posted by TruffleHunter
Can anyone answer this ?

I am Qantas gold I applied for an upgrade I am now sitting on the plane in economy. I have received no update and the Qantas app is still showing as upgrade requested. Does Qantas just ignore some of these upgrade requests ?
As your post was ~18hrs ago how did it work out?
Did "I am now sitting on the plane in economy" mean you were physically in the aircraft or just have an economy seat on the QF app?
Domestic or international flight?
Applied for upgrade on app and/or website MMB upgrade button?
QF will fly with unoccupied PE/Bus class seats.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
QANTAS Points Upgrades

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
As Dave writes, QF runs the upgrades in order of status CL, P1, P, G, S etc. ... The only silver lining to the QF upgrades is that paid (bids) come after FF requests.
I have QF94 booked in L on Aug 24 and QF is offering an upgrade to PE for 60,000 pts and to Business for 90,000 pts.
1. Are these amounts fixed or do they vary with time?

I plan to change this flight to October 22 and either to QF22 (DFW-MEL) or QF4 (JFK-SYD).
2. Is there any way to know the approximate points cost for an upgrade to PE or Business on either of these routes?
3. Is there any way to predict the likelihood of an upgrade being made available on either of these routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.