Points Upgrade Request

Old Jul 31, 2023, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF have a table for points upgrade -->https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...ds/tables.html

Points upgrade Economy L to business
  • LAX-MEL 7921 miles Zone 8 ---> 98,100 pts
  • DFW-MEL 8992 miles Zone 9 ---> 109,900 pts
  • JFK-SYD 9950 miles Zone 10 ---> 130,800 pts (but goes via AKL. Need NZeTA for that. Guess QF will charge for the direct distance)

Not the same as QF bid upgrade https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html
Master thread-->Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 31, 2023 at 7:32 pm Reason: had incorrect base fare
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrobin
1. Are these amounts fixed or do they vary with time?
As above they are fixed and as per the table - only variable ones are "bid now" which are $$$ and come after points upgrades

As international upgrades no longer come from FF inventory they are up to yield management to work out how many seats they think they may have unsold as the flight gets within days of departure and then to allocate according to status windows - and they may decide to fly with seats empty. Having highest status and picking a route that is empty (good luck!) are your best bets. It is not like North America, QF basically want and expect people to pay for the cabin they would like to travel in, and a paid upgrades (FF or $) is simply a nice to have, rather than any recognition of status/loyalty.

KF
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:09 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Flying Club
Hi everyone, I hope you knowledgeable frequent fliers can help me please.

I have booked my family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) flying LHR-SIN-SYD in economy and have requested points upgrades to either PE or Business. I am QF platinum and the rest of my family are Bronze.

Qantas says that I need to have the required amount of points in my account before requesting an upgrade. If we are successful in getting an upgrade, will Qantas take all of the points from me? Or will they take points from each person in our booking? I have transferred points to each person in my family in case that is the case.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Patto17962
Hi everyone, I hope you knowledgeable frequent fliers can help me please.

I have booked my family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) flying LHR-SIN-SYD in economy and have requested points upgrades to either PE or Business. I am QF platinum and the rest of my family are Bronze.

Qantas says that I need to have the required amount of points in my account before requesting an upgrade. If we are successful in getting an upgrade, will Qantas take all of the points from me? Or will they take points from each person in our booking? I have transferred points to each person in my family in case that is the case.

Many thanks.
If all pax are on one booking and you requested it, the points come from you. If you are multiple people on one PNR, you have just reduced your chances considerably, though you are Plat, so perhaps you're the highest and there are multiple seats offered.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by globalwanderer84
If all pax are on one booking and you requested it, the points come from you. If you are multiple people on one PNR, you have just reduced your chances considerably, though you are Plat, so perhaps you're the highest and there are multiple seats offered.
Thanks Globalwanderer, that's very helpful.

I realise that all 4 of us being on the same PNR reduces our chances, but if we don't get it we still want to sit together. If I split the booking then I can still select seats nice and early, but my wife can't (Bronze) so there's a risk we would end up with poor seats, away from each other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.