Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Has all non-Kiwi international service been removed from the schedule? I just looked for SYD-SFO in March 2021 cash fares and Qantas' website shows only AA codeshare flights.
Any QF 2021 long haul timetable, or lack thereof, means nothing in these times. QF have stated the A380's will be parked for ~3 years and will use other aircraft on long hauls.

26 Jun 2020 abc.net.au Link---> Coronavirus could keep international travel off the agenda until mid-next year, according to Qantas — this is what we know
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by nsx
Has all non-Kiwi international service been removed from the schedule? I just looked for SYD-SFO in March 2021 cash fares and Qantas' website shows only AA codeshare flights.
I ​​​​think so, yes. I searched for PER-LHR, PER-SIN and MEL-SIN in March and found nothing.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Another reminder to stay on topic. No general border closure / vaccine etc. discussion in this thread or the Qantas forum in general. [/mod hat]
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Originally Posted by nsx
Any QF 2021 long haul timetable, or lack thereof, means nothing in these times. QF have stated the A380's will be parked for ~3 years and will use other aircraft on long hauls.

26 Jun 2020 abc.net.au Link---> Coronavirus could keep international travel off the agenda until mid-next year, according to Qantas — this is what we know
When Covid-19 ends not all AU<---->USA/Canada routes will be reinstated. Will take years to get back to the same as 2019 flights.
Another indication of reduced flights AU<----->USA from QF close trans Pacific partner AA----> American Airlines cancels Sydney, Auckland flights to mid-2021
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When Covid-19 ends not all AU<---->USA/Canada routes will be reinstated. Will take years to get back to the same as 2019 flights.
Another indication of reduced flights AU<----->USA from QF close trans Pacific partner AA----> American Airlines cancels Sydney, Auckland flights to mid-2021
Last month I was so thrilled to find business class seats on QF from California in February and March 2021, using Alaska miles. Now they are looking like a new kind of phantom inventory.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by nsx
I booked AKL-SYD-SFO a few weeks ago on QF using AA miles for travel in mid March 2021. I logged onto AA.com today and the reservation still looked OK, but I'm guessing it's probably just a matter of time until it goes poof.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it very likely that some time between now and March , that it will be cancelled. I also think that it will not be actually cancelled until such time that Qantas is certain not to operate - it has said that it is unlikly to run flights until mid 2021, but there is always a chance that countries will take action to bring the risks under control and it will restart sooner
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I booked AKL-SYD-SFO a few weeks ago on QF using AA miles for travel in mid March 2021. I logged onto AA.com today and the reservation still looked OK, but I'm guessing it's probably just a matter of time until it goes poof.
Likewise my booking Syd_NYC is still showing on my Frequent Flyer App but QF11 A380 ehich isn't going to happen, however on the Qantas website same flights are Codeshared in March. I have had 3 other flights cancelled and am now the recipient of 2 Vouchers and 1 Refund which I am waiting for still. So far this looks promising.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:09 pm
Suspended

I think the talk of restart of QF Int flights is rubbish. I expect there to be plenty of international flights operating without any silly restrictions way before Christmas. No airline can afford to miss the 10 weeks of Australian school holidays.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
I think the talk of restart of QF Int flights is rubbish. I expect there to be plenty of international flights operating without any silly restrictions way before Christmas. No airline can afford to miss the 10 weeks of Australian school holidays.
But where do you put all these people into quarantine upon their return to Oz (assuming the current quarantine system applies)?
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:04 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
However, as long as Oz citizens/permanent residents are banned from leaving Oz until who knows when (unless granted an exemption), then QF has no need for international passenger flights.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless things change dramatically - then with (a) Australians not being able to leave , (b) non Australians being permitted to enter and (c) those that do come in have to spend $3000 and spend 2 weeks in quarantine, where are the passengers to actually fly?

I think it likely that holidays in christmas time will be being taken locally and not internationally ( except maybe NZ if special exemptions exist there )

Given the state of the world and that it is reasonably well contained here, I hope that no more silly risks are taken in relation to the spread of the virus
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by DC9
However, as long as Oz citizens/permanent residents are banned from leaving Oz until who knows when (unless granted an exemption), then QF has no need for international passenger flights.
So far Qantas has cancelled 4 of my flights and refunds or vouchers are replacing them however my March 18 to New York is still sitting there. Interesting to note it is Codeshared with Cathay via Hong Kong now which suits me fine.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:04 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Freespirit1
So far Qantas has cancelled 4 of my flights and refunds or vouchers are replacing them however my March 18 to New York is still sitting there. Interesting to note it is Codeshared with Cathay via Hong Kong now which suits me fine.
I understand that QF flight cancellations are progressively being rolled-out. Not really sure where they are up to now. However, in July, a CSO told me that they were currently in the process of cancelling all international flights up until the end of October.

Not sure what CX is doing with cancellations.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please read post 33

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Another reminder to stay on topic. No general border closure / vaccine etc. discussion in this thread or the Qantas forum in general. [/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.