Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF reducing capacity

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:00 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF reducing capacity

Predominantly China, HKG and SIN with flight frequency reduced and aircraft downgrades until May.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...o-coronavirus/
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas announced the net profit impact of Coronavirus estimated at $100-$150 million for FY20 which was reduced by lower fuel prices.

With that there will be temporary reductions to flights across domestic Australia, Asia and the Tasman in response to the drop in demand with no changes to other parts of the networks.

Summary of the cuts:

- 2% Australian Domestic

- 5% Trans Tasman

- 16% Qantas International Asian Services

- 14% Jetstar services to/from/intra Asia

The group will add to savings by using Leave Balances and Freezing recruitment as well as bringing forward planned maintenance.

A summary of Qantas Mainline changes to/from Asia:
  • Sydney-Shanghai (the airline’s sole route to mainland China) – will remain suspended
  • Sydney-Hong Kong – reduced from 14 return flights per week to 7 [Bye Bye QF127/QF128]
  • Brisbane-Hong Kong – reduced from 7 return flights per week to 4 [QF97/QF98 - down to 4 or 5 times per week]
  • Melbourne-Hong Kong – reduced from 7 return flights per week to 5 [QF29/QF30 - Monday and Wednesday take the hit]
  • Melbourne-Singapore – flights to be operated by Boeing 787s instead of larger Airbus 380s (approx. 250 less seats per flight) [QF35/QF36 - F takes a hit]
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:37 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I thought the reduced capacity would be immediate, but it seems QF35 is downgraded from 29 March onwards.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:56 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
How the mighty have fallen. SYD-HKG was a 380 then sometimes a 747, then a 333, down to a 789 and now a 332. And the 332 is now relegated to overnight with a very (un)attractive 0500 arrival. Grrr.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
is being rebooked due to capacity reduction a basis for full refund?

i have a trip i no longer wish to travel ex HKG but QF is not waiving cancellation charge for now
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
is being rebooked due to capacity reduction a basis for full refund?

i have a trip i no longer wish to travel ex HKG but QF is not waiving cancellation charge for now
I reckon QF will avoid refunds as far as possible. The flight cancellations still allow for flights to/from HKG - it’s just that you’ll fly ~ 12 hours earlier or later than originally planned.

But, I have had a refund of award points for a (IIRC) 15 min schedule change SYD-LDH a few years ago. So YMMV.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by og
I reckon QF will avoid refunds as far as possible. The flight cancellations still allow for flights to/from HKG - it’s just that you’ll fly ~ 12 hours earlier or later than originally planned.

But, I have had a refund of award points for a (IIRC) 15 min schedule change SYD-LDH a few years ago. So YMMV.
just as an update, QF refunded my full itinery without charge without questions... it was QF98 they moved me to a flight 1 day later. i think protocol is as long as flught was cancelled by QF (and not a "delay") that was enough to trigger refund request.

this worked well because i didnt want to travel anymore due to virus but they were adament HK was not covered by waivier... thx to capacity reduction i got out of jail free...

if i DO want to travel, i can book exact same itinery 15pct cheaper (even this was booked half a year ago during sale) and.if i do so now.i get double SC also (which is less relavent cuz this ia family trip on economy)

word of advice - wait till weekday daytime when Premium phone agent is working... i avoided calling on weekend cuz its staffed by work experience donkeys and.u cant get anything done on weekends. my Platinum status may have helped
og likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:05 am

I was hoping for a cancellation of QF128 on 21 March. Doesn’t look like it’s happening.

Will cancel anyway, but would liked to have saved $600.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:19 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by teddyflyer
I was hoping for a cancellation of QF128 on 21 March. Doesn’t look like it’s happening.

Will cancel anyway, but would liked to have saved $600.
I would wait. We might see more waivers. There’s no advantage to cancelling now vs closer to departure.
fakecd likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I would wait. We might see more waivers. There’s no advantage to cancelling now vs closer to departure.
agreed

more nations are doing entry ban at short notice and wouldn't be surprise if contagion gets to Australia sooner or later meaning wavier will be likely.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: QF WP, QF LTG, PC Plat, FlyingBlue
My QF117 was cancelled and rebooked on QF127 12 hours earlier. Now I have 19 hour transit in HKG waiting for the AY connecting flight. Crazy.

Not sure if I should venture out of the airport and spend the day downtown or just do a lounge crawl (with a reduced number of lounges to visit now).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by biba
My QF117 was cancelled and rebooked on QF127 12 hours earlier. Now I have 19 hour transit in HKG waiting for the AY connecting flight. Crazy.

Not sure if I should venture out of the airport and spend the day downtown or just do a lounge crawl (with a reduced number of lounges to visit now).
u mean instead of arriving at 5:00am on QF117 for a AY102 that departs at 10:45am, you are now arriving on QF127 at 4pm? if so get a hotel

But if so u are in more joy and fun, cuz I think AY102/101 combo is cancelled for March.
https://www.finnair.com/hk-en/flight...travel-updates

meaning you may actually find AY rebooked you to midnight flight departing HK therefore arriving on QF127 reduces your layover... and check the dates carefully!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:55 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biba

Interesting comment. My QF127 was cancelled and I was rebooked on QF117. The connecting AY100 is OK and that means 19 hr connection. The daytime AY flight was cancelled .
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:34 am

One advantage is I get $3000 back sooner. But, yes, was planning to hold out.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:50 am

I thought the reduced capacity would be immediate, but it seems QF35 is downgraded from 29 March onwards.
I hope so. Flying the Saturday and returning on the 12th. As a Y flyer I booked that flight to avoid 787 on other airlines. I will continue to avoid 787 as long as possible.
og likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.