Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Syd to Vancouver via SFO - why does Qantas sell such daft itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

We are in Vancouver waiting for relatives coming from Australia on Qantas via San Francisco. Minimum connect time 1 hr45 - Qantas connection 1hr50. Needless to say they missed their connection. Spent about 2 hours in an immigration queue.

Why does Qantas sell an itinerary it cannot honour? Why does it not help people in the queue ffs? Whole situation is crazy. Airport has a minimum connection time it cannot honour.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did Qantas put you on the next flight after you missed the connection? If it did, then you are no worse off than if the MCT was higher - however could not have got the earlier flight if all had gone as expected

1:45 is assumedly a connection time that generally works

In this case immigration took a long while

If concerned with connecitons, why not book a non-stop flight?
moondog, BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:02 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Being put on a later flight is fine so long as you don’t mind what ever seats are left over at no notice (thinking centre down the back).

MST (min sensible time) as opposed to (official) MCT should be factored in. For me, a > three hour connection is needed if US immigration has to be done. I have experienced 2 hr immigration queues at LAX, SFO and JFK. The immigration line up guards didn’t give a rats about people pleading short connections and those lined up were in no mood to tolerate those wanting to jump the queues.

Yes, IMHO, 1:45 is unrealistic MCT.
nancypants, fairhsa and Blackcloud like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:18 pm

No one has to book the minimum connection , if not happy with the risks

The airline is prepared to accept the risk and seems unlikely that the airline would allow it when it commonly wouldn't work due to the work invoved in rebooking

Looking at the flight times, the QF flight is scheduled to arrive at 14:00

There is a WS flight at 15:50, a UA flight at 16:10 and then AC at 16:50; the next optios is 19:10 and 19:30

Given the choice between getting away at 15:50 an arriving at 18:09 or waiting until 19:10 ( to allow 3 hours ) , I would take the gamble.

If I wasn't happy with the risks, I would just book the non stop flight - Given that there was an opportunity to avoid immigration in the USA, I would have taken that - USA is a lousy place to connect imo

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 11, 2019 at 9:25 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did Qantas put you on the next flight after you missed the connection? If it did, then you are no worse off than if the MCT was higher - however could not have got the earlier flight if all had gone as expected

1:45 is assumedly a connection time that generally works

In this case immigration took a long while

If concerned with connecitons, why not book a non-stop flight?
Yes, on a flight 3 hours later in a LOWER travel class than booked. My 80 year old mother was so stressed when she finally arrived. We'd paid business class for her to make it easier - the routing was determined by the fact her other son was with her so it was deemed better to go through USA with company than direct alone. (not my call, I would have made a different one). But at the end of the days, selling something unachievable is stupid. I looked at the average immigration wait times wile we were waiting to find out what was going on.... 56 minutes with a max of over 100 minutes! so 1 hr 50 connection is just crazy.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Surely the airlines don’t have anything to gain from selling a connection that is unachievable? The fact they’re willing to sell it suggests to me that statistically it’s manageable at least 51% of the time

whether it’s sensible especially for someone less geared for the stresses of travel is another question entirely and one that has been posed above
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Yes, on a flight 3 hours later in a LOWER travel class than booked. My 80 year old mother was so stressed when she finally arrived. We'd paid business class for her to make it easier - the routing was determined by the fact her other son was with her so it was deemed better to go through USA with company than direct alone. (not my call, I would have made a different one). But at the end of the days, selling something unachievable is stupid. I looked at the average immigration wait times wile we were waiting to find out what was going on.... 56 minutes with a max of over 100 minutes! so 1 hr 50 connection is just crazy.
It is not unachievable - you were just unable to manage it that specific instance

you could have chosen to book a longer connection time if you had wished to do so

If it was unachievable , the airline would not offer it due to spending time every day dealing with it
wrp96, BearX220, levelnine and 2 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:47 am

Yes, on a flight 3 hours later in a LOWER travel class than booked. My 80 year old mother was so stressed when she finally arrived. We'd paid business class for her to make it easier
I would argue that SFO arrival and connection is far more stressful than J v Y on an A320 for 2 hours.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Whoever thought meeting up to connect in the US for a 2 hour flight is preferable over the non-stop is really the one at fault here.

(Also how athletic is the passenger, I bet it also didn’t help they needed to wait for assistance or were slower than the average pax walking to immigration)
Old May 12, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I am guessing US citizens might be able to manage the connection a bit easier, as wouldn't take as long in immigration. However, probably also would guess not so many travelling on to YVR. Not possible to have different MCT's based on nationality, but US is certainly one place where it would make sense to do so
deeruck and fairhsa like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nexus is your friend: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus

Those who know the risks book accordingly. But its the first timers who have yet to learn about immigration times and just accept whatever the computer or TA gives them are the ones caught out.

To be balanced, as previously stated, I have enjoyed 2 hour immigration queues at several USA entry points. But a week ago I had no delay at JFK (mid morning arrival from HND) and walked straight up to a pleasant human and was out in the baggage hall in no time at all. Just astounding. Don’t know how those last off the plane fared though.

Last edited by og; May 12, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old May 12, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I dunno. Passengers concerned with en route stress reduction should not book a connection through a US gateway in the first place. We are not set up to process international-to-international passengers like other countries' airports.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I dunno. Passengers concerned with en route stress reduction should not book a connection through a US gateway in the first place. We are not set up to process international-to-international passengers like other countries' airports.
It’d be a lot easier if I to I connections could be airside of immigration.
nancypants and fairhsa like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Why does Qantas sell an itinerary it cannot honour?
But at the end of the days, selling something unachievable is stupid.
Originally Posted by nancypants
Surely the airlines don’t have anything to gain from selling a connection that is unachievable?
In fact, they have much to lose by selling a connection that's unachievable - it inevitably costs money because of the need to reaccommodate etc. So airlines have a real incentive not to sell a connection that is unrealistically short. It's likely that at the published MCT, most passengers will make it most of the time. I'll bet that the OP's accusations that QF "cannot" honour the connection and that it is "unachievable" are based on nothing more than that one isolated anecdote. But all that that anecdote shows is that it didn't work for that passenger that day - it doesn't even mean that other passengers didn't make it that day, let alone show what happens on other days.

That is not to downplay the stress that a missed connection can cause an individual, particularly if they're not experienced or relaxed travellers, or for other reasons might get stressed about a mishap when travelling. For them, there is always one clear number one piece of advice: don't book a short connection. The airline does not guarantee that you will make a connection at MCT, or even at MCT+3 hours or MCT+6 hours. But it is inevitable that the closer you get to MCT, the more likely it is that something will go wrong.
og, trooper and nancypants like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by og
It’d be a lot easier if I to I connections could be airside of immigration.
Exactly, but no US arrival airport is set up like this -- such volume is too low to warrant the dedicated infrastructure -- which is why the experience is best avoided.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.