Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing all wheelie cases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would rather not have boarding taking another 10 minutes - let people with heavy items wait for baggage reclaim rather than everyone being impacted
You still haven't shared your preference to fly VA or QF - given that VA allows one bag and QF allows two, surely, your'e a VA sort of chap?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:34 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Platy
You still haven't shared your preference to fly VA or QF - given that VA allows one bag and QF allows two, surely, your'e a VA sort of chap?
[mod hat] Please don't go there. It really doesn't advance our collective knowledge about the topic at hand. [/mod hat]
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Please don't go there. It really doesn't advance our collective knowledge about the topic at hand. [/mod hat]
No problem, perhaps my intentions weren't clear - I'm curious about how perception and opinion translates into action, since obviously the airlines are attempting to motivate behavioural changes in their customers - surely that's the real issue (and hopefully deemed within the scope of this thread / board).

Will the crack down motivate any actual change in customer behaviour?

There are broadly two camps of opinion...so:

1) will those who advocate a lenient approach seek to comply with the carry on allowances in the face of threatened checks, or risk that they won't be checked, or change their travel patterns / choices to avoid checking in baggage if they are "caught out"?

2) will those who advocate a strict approach reconsider their travel choices in the event they perceive the airline is not following through, or indeed favour an alternative airline offering a stricter regime (with concomittant faster boarding, less fight for the overheads, etc) for example VA over QF since they generally allow one not two carry ons?

In other words, will folk actually change any of their actual behaviours in the light of the publicised crack down either on a domestic or international front?

FWIW I try to pack one carry on at under 10kg and have a spare bag included in case I need to divert a couple of kilos to a "personal item". I won't be changing that strategy and will tend to favour VA over QF for domestic business travel and SQ over QF for international travel for reasons other than baggage which are OT.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Platy; Dec 10, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Well, picked up a nice Porsche Design satchel/bag today as my second bag for travel on QF domestic as my Rimowa aluminum roll-aboard will be heavier than 7kg so I will dump half the crap into that.

As I'm usually fortunate to snag row 1 on the 737's, I'll be popping BOTH of them up above row 2...
Best to line up first in the non priority queue and get to board before the priority line - yes, it seems to work that way (sigh).
VH-RMD likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Won’t this now reduce the value of the airport terminal? People will be discouraged from shopping in case it tips them over the limit.
LTN Phobia and Platy like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Won’t this now reduce the value of the airport terminal? People will be discouraged from shopping in case it tips them over the limit.
Excellent point. No doubt the international terminal duty free operators will negotiate an exception with QF for the punters if they see revenue dropping off. You can’t expect someone to plan for 2 bottles when weighing bags prior to leaving home. The whole business model of these shops is to attract sales from impulse buying through boredom.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:06 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
IME duty free shopping bags are never weighed and somehow fly under the radar, but again that experience is solely on Int segments. Not sure how this will play out on domestic routes
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I wasn’t sure if this “strictness” was extended to international, but even on domestic there are retailers selling things that would easily end up putting you over the limit.
Platy likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Absolutely woeful reporting of this by the mainstream media - lots of conflating size of bags with weight of bags...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Absolutely woeful reporting of this by the mainstream media - lots of conflating size of bags with weight of bags...
Not surprising given the airlines are also getting the two concepts mixed up.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just checked 3 articles and none suggested anything other than a clamdown on weight
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I just checked 3 articles and none suggested anything other than a clamdown on weight
There are other articles, with quotes by airline representatives that this is a size and weight issue.

If it was really only to do with weight, the argument by airlines that 'passengers support this move' is untennable, given a passenger couldn't tell the difference between a 7kg bag and 8kg bag.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There are other articles, with quotes by airline representatives that this is a size and weight issue.

If it was really only to do with weight, the argument by airlines that 'passengers support this move' is untennable, given a passenger couldn't tell the difference between a 7kg bag and 8kg bag.
The 1st 3 articles in a google search gave me 9 News, West Australian and news.com.au - none suggested size only weight - then going on, the next ( traveller.com.au ) only mentioned weight - and showed that some people do support it and then ausbt also covered weight only

Which major news outlets coming up on a google search are suggesting size as the issue?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The national ABC.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aus BT covers weight and size - pretty much in line with the majority of “sensable changes” covered by this (FT) thread.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-crac...rry-on-baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.