Weighing all wheelie cases

Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:52 am
  #181  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,548
Originally Posted by Willie12
It is so inconsistent and becoming a joke!
Slows up boarding and then delays the planes.
People remove items to reach 7 kgs and then reinsert them while queuing on the airbridge.
It is nothing more than an exercise in futility.....
I’d speculate that there will be no bag sizing & weighing on late flights (delayed) or those with tight turn arounds. Proving a point on a contentious matter when everyone is “over it” doesn’t help anyone.
og is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:56 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Not being silly but Qantas is generally an expert in inconsistency and this illustrates it perfectly.
Also weighing the wheelies only is another flaw - the over the shoulder bag my travelling partner carried yesterday was 15kg and they just strolled through the boarding pass check.
shillard likes this.
Willie12 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:16 pm
  #183  
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 12R/30L
Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,819
For what it is worth I was not weighed yesterday morning at SYD. Wheelie was within limit but had a laptop case on top of it as well.
When I got onboard the customer service manager did ask if I cam of and international (which I did) but not sure why the question !
Zol is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:37 pm
  #184  
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,780
Originally Posted by Willie12

The international/domestic transfer is flawed too.
Yes how do they deal with people coming off an QF international flight where the hand carry was accepted, and then transferring to a domestic flight where it wouldn't meet the strict rules?
sxc is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:22 am
  #185  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,977
Originally Posted by sxc
Yes how do they deal with people coming off an QF international flight where the hand carry was accepted, and then transferring to a domestic flight where it wouldn't meet the strict rules?
The person can check the bag in. That it may have been incorrectly permitted on an international flight, does not exempt it from the rules on future flights

Today , when I was at Sydney Airport, there were members of staff checking size and weight of bags at the entry to the queue for security - people with non-compliant bags were being informed to check them in

Doing it at security checkpoints seems a great way to handle the issue
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:46 am
  #186  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,548
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
......Doing it at security checkpoints seems a great way to handle the issue
May as well give the Priority entrance guard something constructive to do.

But to be realistic, the rule SHOULD be that if it fits in the x ray scanner then its OK for carry on. And if the bag can be lifted on and off the conveyor with one hand, then its OK. But that is clearly a debatable sensibility.
Flyerholic likes this.
og is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:00 am
  #187  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,977
the x ray scanner does not measure the dimensions of objects going through - the opening size of the scanner is not, to best of my knowledge, set based on the baggage sizer. Even if the conveyor size was reduced such that 2 dimentions were soit on the limit, I think that there would be issues with rate of bag processing at the scanner

If the bag fits in the airline sizer and does not exceed the max weight permitted, then it should be allowed on
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:49 am
  #188  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,415
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

If the bag fits in the airline sizer and does not exceed the max weight permitted, then it should be allowed on
In your opinion.

We have already established that the Qantas approved cabin baggage sold on the Qantas website might possibly exceed the dimensions of the sizer, but remain within the total maximum dimensions of 115/105.

As such sizer does not form part of the contract and cannot be unilaterally imposed by the airline after the contract has been formed.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:15 pm
  #189  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,977
Can you supply details of a court ruling that supports the assertion that the size as imposed by Qantas is not permitted by contract ?

Since the eticket shows a picture of a cabin bag indicating the L , D and H dimentions and states
2 x 7kg 105cm
105cm = 48cm L + 34cm H plus 23cm D

or
1 x 7kg 115cm
115cm = 56cm L + 36cm H plus 23cm D

I have trouble seeing that there is much to suggest that the limits are not based on those


Where is Qantas selling something that is non compliant. The website link indicated

External Size: 55cm x 35cm x 24/26cm (expanded) (includes wheels and handles)

This is compliant where someone is travelling on a QF Jet service and takes only a single item of hand luggage - the limits where someone takes a single item are 56 x 36 x 23 - 55 < 56 and 35 < 36 and 23=23


Would someone really want to try arguing that it is only the total that matters whilst trying to bring on something that is 115 x 1 x 1 ?
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:35 pm
  #190  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,415
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Can you supply details of a court ruling that supports the assertion that the size as imposed by Qantas is not permitted by contract ?

Since the eticket shows a picture of a cabin bag indicating the L , D and H dimentions and states
2 x 7kg 105cm
105cm = 48cm L + 34cm H plus 23cm D

or
1 x 7kg 115cm
115cm = 56cm L + 36cm H plus 23cm D

I have trouble seeing that there is much to suggest that the limits are not based on those


Where is Qantas selling something that is non compliant. The website link indicated

External Size: 55cm x 35cm x 24/26cm (expanded) (includes wheels and handles)

This is compliant where someone is travelling on a QF Jet service and takes only a single item of hand luggage - the limits where someone takes a single item are 56 x 36 x 23 - 55 < 56 and 35 < 36 and 23=23

The 105/115 total dimensions are part of the contract. These are on the website before you purchase your ticket.

The individual dimensions are a guide only. We know this because the Qantas endorsed cabin bags sold on their site as a permitted cabin baggage exceed one of the indivudal maximums.

Examples were provided above and here is another: https://www.qantasstore.com.au/p/qan...aboard/1001037
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
  #191  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,415
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Can you supply details of a court ruling that supports the assertion that the size as imposed by Qantas is not permitted by contract ?

Since the eticket shows a picture of a cabin bag indicating the L , D and H dimentions and states
2 x 7kg 105cm
105cm = 48cm L + 34cm H plus 23cm D

or
1 x 7kg 115cm
115cm = 56cm L + 36cm H plus 23cm D

I have trouble seeing that there is much to suggest that the limits are not based on those


Where is Qantas selling something that is non compliant. The website link indicated

External Size: 55cm x 35cm x 24/26cm (expanded) (includes wheels and handles)

This is compliant where someone is travelling on a QF Jet service and takes only a single item of hand luggage - the limits where someone takes a single item are 56 x 36 x 23 - 55 < 56 and 35 < 36 and 23=23

The 105/115 total sum of the dimensions are part of the contract. These are on the website before you purchase your ticket.

The individual dimensions are a guide only. We know this because the Qantas endorsed cabin bags sold on their site as a permitted cabin baggage exceed one of the indivudal maximums.

Examples were provided above and here is another: https://www.qantasstore.com.au/p/qan...aboard/1001037
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:43 pm
  #192  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,977
Unlike the one referenced in post 173, there is nothing that indicates that it is allowed by Qantas

The one that was within limits stated
In Australia all our airlines adhere to either a 105cm or 115cm (total size) domestic carry-on bag size limit.

Regard;less , this is simply a shop
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:59 pm
  #193  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,415
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Unlike the one referenced in post 173, there is nothing that indicates that it is allowed by Qantas

The one that was within limits stated
In Australia all our airlines adhere to either a 105cm or 115cm (total size) domestic carry-on bag size limit.

Regard;less , this is simply a shop
We are in agreement at the 195/115 total dimensions.

We we do not agree that the individual dimensions stated on the website are in fact maximums, but are instead suggestions as to how the total 105/115 can be reached.

The important ant difference is that if the sizer is based on the maximums stated on the website, then Qantas would incorrectly be requiring bags to be checked in that the passenger may not wish to.

As the baggage information is onnthe website before ticket purchase. And the passenger can buy the qantas approved cabin bag before ticket purchase, the sizer at the airport is irrelevant.

You say say there is ‘no indication’ that the bags sold on the website are allowed by Qantas? This is an impossible conclusion to draw. The bag is sold by Qantas, to its own passengers, with a qantas name and branding, and listed as a ‘wheelaboard’.

Any person coming across all that information would reasonably assume (and ‘reasonably is the giveaway here) that the bag is permitted in the cabin. Otherwise why would they sell them?
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:28 pm
  #194  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,977
Some bags sold on site indicate that they are compliant with Qantas regulations - others have no such statement
a retail store does not create any requirement by any airline to accept the bag

The site states
2 x 7kg 105cm
105cm = 48cm L + 34cm H plus 23cm D


it doesnt say e.g. 48 x 34 x 23

it states 105cm and then states
105cm equals 48 x 34 x 23

not sure how much more explicit it needs to be
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:00 pm
  #195  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,415
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Some bags sold on site indicate that they are compliant with Qantas regulations - others have no such statement
a retail store does not create any requirement by any airline to accept the bag

The site states
2 x 7kg 105cm
105cm = 48cm L + 34cm H plus 23cm D


it doesnt say e.g. 48 x 34 x 23

it states 105cm and then states
105cm equals 48 x 34 x 23

not sure how much more explicit it needs to be
Nor does it say ‘maximum’ 48+34+23, which the airline would state if indeed that was the case.

And they know that because they sell bags which play around with those various dimensions.

It’s not just a retail store though is it? It’s a qantas store, selling a qantas item, with a qantas brand. For all intents and purposes it ‘is’ qantas.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.