Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The Qantas London Lounge - Opening 2017 [Pre opening discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Qantas London Lounge - Opening 2017 [Pre opening discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:57 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Isochronous
morbidly obese cows
So you have a six pack and can grace the cover of a fitness magazine?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Isochronous
High wages are no guarantee of high service levels. Just look at all the grunting, morbidly obese cows on unionised contracts who can often be found in Australian airports in customer service roles doing their very best to avoid providing a service, let alone a good one!
Nice theory if any of your assumptions held.

For example, performance is not the sole responsibility of the employee. Sure paying people properly is part of the mix to get good service - but so is an employer taking responsibility for effective:

1. Recruitment
2. Training
3. Performance management
4. Leadership

Consider that unions do not set the pay rates for their members

Collective bargaining is a feature of the IR landscape in Australia (as it is in many countries) - a benefit is it avoids the inequality of one employee trying to negotiate from a disadvantaged position (one individual versus the whole corporation).

Crucially, the actual wages and terms and conditions of the workplace contract ("EBA") are ratified independently by the Fair Work Commission.

And how exactly are you going to decide which employees are actually union members (given union membership in the transport industry is estimated at under 23%): on average 3 out of 4 of the people you are maligning wouldn't even be a union member.

Name calling (calling people who belong to unions obese cows) is the default position of those with no actual logical argument and is quite common from the Tory twits of the right wing.

Such behaviour just reveals your own ignorance and a person prone discriminatory prejudice rather than reason.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Why did a thread about a lounge opening in London become IR 1001?
deeruck, stevie, cosmo74 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bensyd
Why did a thread about a lounge opening in London become IR 1001?
Because the (former) colonial mother country was demonstrated to be paying its domestic servants who are going to work in the LHR QF lounge much less than they would have been paid if they worked in, say, the SYD QF lounge. Seems quite a relevant discussion IMO.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
To bring steer this tread back to its purpose... Has anyone heard any updates of when the lounge may be finally opening? Sounds like it's close!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:59 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GTRtripper
To bring steer this tread back to its purpose... Has anyone heard any updates of when the lounge may be finally opening? Sounds like it's close!
I'll be going through T3 on Dec 2nd so hopefully I can swing by and have a look around before I head to the CX F Lounge
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by GTRtripper
Very close.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
I'll be going through T3 on Dec 2nd so hopefully I can swing by and have a look around before I head to the CX F Lounge
Delete 'hopefully'
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Very close.
What are the odds it will be open this coming Saturday?!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by shandy01
I wouldn't place that bet.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:50 am

I will be transiting LHR T3 on Thursday of this week and will report back to you.

I enjoy the QF F Lounge in LAX tremendously. This is my last year of AA EXP status...so it's back to "lower" lounges after this trip. I'll be in the CX F Lounge on Thursday....unless the new QF lounge is open...which is doubtful. But I'll let you know.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:37 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
Delete 'hopefully'
Originally Posted by shandy01
I wouldn't place that bet.
So sometime between Sat 18 Nov and Sat 2nd Dec if I have extrapolated correctly
djsflynn likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Meh
Just walked by and the door opened and had a good look in. I would day at least 3 weeks away.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GiddyKipper638
I'll be flying out of T3 to Vegas in F in January - if the lounge is open at this point will I have access based on my F BA ticket?
Me too let’s hope it’s open.Dont travel that much long haul so for me the lounges are all part of the fun.Hope to do a lounge crawl through all 3 -missing out AA.

I note that Qantas says the access will be ,amongst other entry requirements, as below-

“Passengers travelling in tiered cabins on partner airlines with a QF code”

It doesn’t say all Oneworld First or Business passengers-does it mean the same thing?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Yetak
I note that Qantas says the access will be ,amongst other entry requirements, as below-

“Passengers travelling in tiered cabins on partner airlines with a QF code”

It doesn’t say all Oneworld First or Business passengers-does it mean the same thing?
Where do you read that?

In any case the 'tiered' cabins bit may refer to a partner such as Emirates, not necessarily oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.