Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The Qantas London Lounge - Opening 2017 [Pre opening discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Qantas London Lounge - Opening 2017 [Pre opening discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:39 am

Just spoke to a Qantas rep and he mentioned official opening on 28.11 and a soft opening before that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I think they are looking forward to having fewer people in the CX lounge - it does get busy in the evenings when there's QF, CX and BA flights leaving.
Yes, it will be better in the CX business section when the QP members are made to use the QF facility rather than CX's.

Personally I have no intention of using the Qantas lounge to any meaningful extent if it can be avoided.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:33 pm

Yes, only a matter of days now...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by serfty
Yes, it will be better in the CX business section when the QP members are made to use the QF facility rather than CX's.

Personally I have no intention of using the Qantas lounge to any meaningful extent if it can be avoided.
As a frequent CX lounge user, I think the new QF lounges are actually good quality. And the outport J lounges are better than the SYD lounge. You should reserve judgement until it actually opens.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
As a frequent CX lounge user, I think the new QF lounges are actually good quality. And the outport J lounges are better than the SYD lounge. You should reserve judgement until it actually opens.
To be honest I find the "Qantas International Lounges" while better than "Qantas International Business" to be a downgrade on what was previously available at those locations with "Qantas International First Lounges".

This includes the current three at SIN, BNE and HKG, each of which locations had a First lounge (maybe small) with a better F&B. Sadly, AKL soon is to be given the makeover.

I would be surprised if the LHR lounge is any better.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 20, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:25 am

17:30 23rd. 'Soft opening'.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm off to HEL at 6.15pm, might just get 5 mins in the lounge to grab some photos.
moa999 and florens like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I hope it has the pancake machine...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by serfty
To be honest I find the "Qantas International Lounges" while better than "Qantas International Business" to be a downgrade on what was previously available at those locations with "Qantas International First Lounges".

This includes the current three at SIN, BNE and HKG, each of which locations had a First lounge (maybe small) with a better F&B. Sadly, AKL soon is to be given the makeover.

I would be surprised if the LHR lounge is any better.
I've only been to three QF lounges - OOL (LOL, more like), SYD and HKG. Was travelling J with family so was in J lounge. I will leave OOL - although the kids loved the sweets - but SYD was pretty woeful. HKG was great to a point. Not the best for a relaxing solo chill, but with my 12 year old daughter it was a hoot (although I found the open nature of that and the CX Wing not to my liking). If LHR is like HKG but 'enclosed' then it could become my LHR favourite. We shall see... but as a frequent T3 traveller I'm as excited as a virgin on his wedding night...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I hope it has the pancake machine...
It's in the space previously occupied by SAS - and before that Air Canada. Who did indeed have a pancake machine - video of the day the SAS lounge closed here:

Alas, or perhaps for the better, Qantas are refitting it as a Gin Bar.

Amazing to have such a large lounge for just two flights a day.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lorkers
It's in the space previously occupied by SAS - and before that Air Canada. Who did indeed have a pancake machine - video of the day the SAS lounge closed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xge9wDAYRs8

Alas, or perhaps for the better, Qantas are refitting it as a Gin Bar.

Amazing to have such a large lounge for just two flights a day.
Which probably means it will be used as a contract lounge for some other airlines like HKG.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Which probably means it will be used as a contract lounge for some other airlines like HKG.
I feel this would make much sense, especially given the timing of those two flights and the fact that the QF HKG lounge for example is the nominated lounge for several airlines including some non-Oneworld ones.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:20 am

Update: not opening until next week.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Ooo. This means I'll get to check it out early December for breakfast... unless CX remains the better option. Maybe I'll do both.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well the hoarding has come down but there are bits of paper covering the glass on the entrance. I could peer through and saw some staff working, with tables laid up with glassware.
serfty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.