Search

Linked Reservation Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
IME yes even on a Red eDeal fare.^
Interesting. I'll have to remember that if I end up in SYD a bit earlier than scheduled.

Part of the reason I booked the flight I did, aside from 3.5 hours being, in my experience, a fair layover, is that I have not been on the Dash 8 in quite a while, and I wanted to grab a seat on one. But there are two SYD-CBR flights ahead of my scheduled flight, one of which also being a Dash 8, so if I just feel like getting to CBR, I'll at least ask.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by thadocta
As someone who has actually worked there, done the job, and handled the situation (albeit about 15 years ago, but I still maintain contact with those who are still there), the unpublished policy is that if you misconnect due to the late arrival of an inbound INT flight, QF will put you on the next flight, regardless of availability in the booked class (must be same cabin though).

Only available at the INT Domestic check-in though, the staff there have a HUGE amount of latitude, they can basically do what they want. Once you get over to the domestic terminal, the staff there have far less lee-way.

Dave
Agreed - the OP will be fine.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Zach1213
Interesting. I'll have to remember that if I end up in SYD a bit earlier than scheduled.

Part of the reason I booked the flight I did, aside from 3.5 hours being, in my experience, a fair layover, is that I have not been on the Dash 8 in quite a while, and I wanted to grab a seat on one. But there are two SYD-CBR flights ahead of my scheduled flight, one of which also being a Dash 8, so if I just feel like getting to CBR, I'll at least ask.
Good luck with that. I hate the DHC-8 Q400 due to their unreliability. Out of 6 sectors SYD-CBR only 2 have met OTP while 2 cancelled and 2 delayed due to mechanicals.
I actually preferred the 20+ year old 737-400, flying them domestically in NZ and Trans Tasman, they were not the most reliable either. At least they are out of QF service now.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze

IMHO, you won't have much spare time even if your inbound comes bit earlier. Don't forget that you have to clear immigration and customs, get checked for your domestic and then make the transfer from international terminal to the domestic. All that takes significant amount of time at SYD.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbroucek
IMHO, you won't have much spare time even if your inbound comes bit earlier. Don't forget that you have to clear immigration and customs, get checked for your domestic and then make the transfer from international terminal to the domestic. All that takes significant amount of time at SYD.
Oh it certainly does, I'm aware. Luckily I'm seated so that I am quick off the inbound LAX-SYD, and I have US Global Entry that I can use if the immigration line is too long (I'm a stamp junkie so I'll always choose to wait a bit for the entry stamp if possible, but if the line is terribly long, as can be the case at SYD in the mornings, I'll hop over to SmartGate).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Oh it certainly does, I'm aware. Luckily I'm seated so that I am quick off the inbound LAX-SYD, and I have US Global Entry that I can use if the immigration line is too long (I'm a stamp junkie so I'll always choose to wait a bit for the entry stamp if possible, but if the line is terribly long, as can be the case at SYD in the mornings, I'll hop over to SmartGate).
You are still facing sometimes incredibly long customs queue and at least 20 minutes of transfer between terminals... Last time I transferred through SYD in the morning, my J class, priority tagged luggage took 20 minutes to appear on the belt (after I reached the belt!) and then I spent another 25 minutes in priority customs queue... Then I just missed transfer bus, so another 20 minutes of wait...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thought I would give a follow up on how this worked in reality as I'm in Sydney awaiting my last leg to Canberra.

My DFW-LAX flight hit a long 3.5 hour maintenance delay, and I knew I would miss QF12. Called AA who were able to switch me to QF108, which I made with plenty of time to grab a shower and drink in the new lounge at LAX. Also while in Dallas, I called QF and they switched me from the 0930 SYD-CBR to the 1125 at no charge (was not a flex ticket).

We left LAX late but wasn't too worried as I only had carryon, thus avoiding baggage claim and recheck. However we diverted to BNE due to weather and got to SYD about 4 hours late, touching down exactly at 1125 (when my CBR flight was departing).

Immigration (SmartGate) and customs took less than 10 minutes, and the transfer desk near the bus to domestic terminal got me on to the 1430 departure to CBR which will board soon.

A mess, but it all worked out. However, I was told my status absolutely helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.