Wiki Posts
Search

Linked Reservation Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Linked Reservation Protection

I have a ticket DFW-LAX-SYD on AA/QF booked via AA (with AA flight numbers). My final destination is CBR, but I booked that as a separate ticket (QF flight number, booked via Qantas.com) with a 3 1/2 hour layover in SYD. QF say they have linked the two reservations. Does that give me any protection should I misconnect in SYD, or is it just a convenience thing?

Cheers!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

2 reservations will always stay as 2 reservations. Linking just provides information about one to the other. It helps make it easier for thee staff to do baggage tags all the way to destination but provides no protections
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Zach1213
I have a ticket DFW-LAX-SYD on AA/QF booked via AA (with AA flight numbers). My final destination is CBR, but I booked that as a separate ticket (QF flight number, booked via Qantas.com) with a 3 1/2 hour layover in SYD. QF say they have linked the two reservations. Does that give me any protection should I misconnect in SYD, or is it just a convenience thing?

Cheers!
QF can protect you, but in this case they would not be required to.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
QF can protect you, but in this case they would not be required to.
Yes in all likelihood, given the number of SYD-CBR flights, they would allow OP to transfer to a later flight if LAX-SYD ran late, but not to be relied on. Less likely to accommodate if there was a misconnect at LAX due from the DFW-LAX flight.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF sells flex fares for precisely this purpose, hopefully that is what you bought. Otherwise it is up to the discretion of staff how they handle a misconnect, the linking provides no protection but as stated gives information. If you are still EXP that helps considerably but being on the AA codeshare means QF gets less revenue and thus even less incentive to assist. Flex fares vary but are often less than $100 more which makes the flexibility a bargain for situations like this. Worst case you lose the value of your bought ticket and get to buy full Y fare CBR-SYD, but your connection time is sufficient for 95% of the time.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
As someone who has actually worked there, done the job, and handled the situation (albeit about 15 years ago, but I still maintain contact with those who are still there), the unpublished policy is that if you misconnect due to the late arrival of an inbound INT flight, QF will put you on the next flight, regardless of availability in the booked class (must be same cabin though).

Only available at the INT Domestic check-in though, the staff there have a HUGE amount of latitude, they can basically do what they want. Once you get over to the domestic terminal, the staff there have far less lee-way.

Dave
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
While I understand the limits to contractual agreements on two separate tickets, would any modern airline company be willing to handle the social media noise where a CHECKED-IN passenger on a connecting ticket is not accommodated?

In the example above - taken the other way around - AA has a well known (and stated ?) position that delayed arrivals WILL have connecting flights adjusted as needed (and possible).

With no check-in and no checked through baggage - I agree - you are likely on your own.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
While I understand the limits to contractual agreements on two separate tickets, would any modern airline company be willing to handle the social media noise where a CHECKED-IN passenger on a connecting ticket is not accommodated?

In the example above - taken the other way around - AA has a well known (and stated ?) position that delayed arrivals WILL have connecting flights adjusted as needed (and possible).

With no check-in and no checked through baggage - I agree - you are likely on your own.
A single ticket with connections provides protection if the inbound flight is late.

Separate tickets do not formally provide protection (AA's published policy is an exception). You are not connecting between flights, but on two separate itineraries that happen to end/start at the same airport, whether you are checked in for the first flight of the second ticket or not.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wandering_fred

Happy wandering

Fred
Between different airlines... I'd say there wouldn't be too much media interest. Maybe not too much media interest if you missed a connecting flight on the same airline (separate ticket) if the inbound delay was outside the airline's control.

But if the delay was down to the airline, I think any passenger would have a reasonable case to complain.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having seen on one of the UK Airport type series a passenger having exactly the situation of 2 bookings on same carrier with a delay causing the passenger to miss the 2nd flight and then having to go off and pay to get on a later one, would not see it to be something that the Media would be up in arms about; those watching were simply educated on the situation of 2 bookings
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Having seen on one of the UK Airport type series a passenger having exactly the situation of 2 bookings on same carrier with a delay causing the passenger to miss the 2nd flight and then having to go off and pay to get on a later one, would not see it to be something that the Media would be up in arms about; those watching were simply educated on the situation of 2 bookings
but those programs don't necessarily explain what your rights or options might be. They are designed to be interesting.

If a flights is delayed, solely due to circumstances within the airline's control, I'd say you have a pretty good right to be protected on the next fligh.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
As is often the case, one can go on and on with the legal arguments, I think thadocta's advice is pertinent though. QF's international transfer staff seem to have a great degree of latitude.

To share a personal story, a few years ago my partner came off a late DL flight from LAX-SYD with a separate award ticket to MEL on QF which was missed. Fully expecting some consequences (i.e. to buy a new ticket), he was rebooked onto a later MEL flight by QF with no fuss. Maybe being WP helped, but was appreciated although not expected.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Thanks, all, for confirming what I thought - no protections. Based on all of my experiences in SYD, the 3.5 hours felt comfortable to me, so I'll be sticking with that and hoping LAX-SYD is on-time.

All of your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
As someone who has actually worked there, done the job, and handled the situation (albeit about 15 years ago, but I still maintain contact with those who are still there), the unpublished policy is that if you misconnect due to the late arrival of an inbound INT flight, QF will put you on the next flight, regardless of availability in the booked class (must be same cabin though).

Only available at the INT Domestic check-in though, the staff there have a HUGE amount of latitude, they can basically do what they want. Once you get over to the domestic terminal, the staff there have far less lee-way.

Dave
Purely from a passenger perspective, agree that the staff at the SYD Connections desk seem to do whatever's necessary to get you on your way again.

Dave: in the OP's situation, where they've deliberately booked an onward flight 3.5hrs later: would the check-in staff also look to bring the OP forward if there's availability? I've certainly found this possible when connecting onto SYD-MEL (with the greater frequency) when there's been availability and I've asked, but that's always been on the one Itinerary ... would it be likely on separate tickets?

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by BD1959
Purely from a passenger perspective, agree that the staff at the SYD Connections desk seem to do whatever's necessary to get you on your way again.

Dave: in the OP's situation, where they've deliberately booked an onward flight 3.5hrs later: would the check-in staff also look to bring the OP forward if there's availability? I've certainly found this possible when connecting onto SYD-MEL (with the greater frequency) when there's been availability and I've asked, but that's always been on the one Itinerary ... would it be likely on separate tickets?

Regards,

BD
IME yes even on a Red eDeal fare.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.