Search

Help me hit Platinum!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Help me hit Platinum!

Hi everyone

I am currently Gold and am approximately 360 status credits shy of qualifying for Platinum this year. I have about four weeks left to do it. Sounds like a lot, I know, but I think it's do-able!

I am based in MEL. Ideally I'd like to qualify with one round trip but with minimal time zone change. I will shell out for J class (but obviously I still want to optimise the status credit haul for the outlay).

If you were me, what would you book?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
For a single return to earn 360 SC's you will need to book a flight that is 7,001-8,400 miles in business.

MEL-DXB is 7231 miles
MEL-LAX is 7921 miles
Both would earn 180 SC's each way in business.

Both destinations are around $8800 return.

A possibly cheaper option would be several nested business flights. MEL-SYD-CBR return with CBR-SYD-PER return nested for example. I haven't done a SC count or cost for these.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MEL-AKL in business class r/t which each earn 160 SCs for $1341 and can be done on the QF codeshare on the EK service , so a decent A380 run
Add a MEL-AKL r/t with 1 direction in 1st class should be an extra $600 and accrue 200 SCs

$3282 plus 2 days travelling will get the required SCs.

I would really be asking whether Platinum status is worth the cost in getting status plus the time involved

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 23, 2014 at 3:38 am
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Trans-tasman is probably cheapest and fairly quick way. Especially in the (very frequent) business class sales ex-NZ, and even moreso when CNS/ADL/CBR are included in the sale.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Other option (prior to July 1) is MH. You probably could travel MEL-KUL-HKG return for around $2800, and net 400 status credits. Or to BKK or CGK will get the 360.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Other option (prior to July 1) is MH. You probably could travel MEL-KUL-HKG return for around $2800, and net 400 status credits. Or to BKK or CGK will get the 360.
You're looking at closer to ~AUD5,300 for those flights if you're looking to book between now and 30 June.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would really be asking whether Platinum status is worth the cost in getting status plus the time involved
Well, yes, of course it is implicit in my question that this objective is not based on purely rational considerations!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by eminere
You're looking at closer to ~AUD5,300 for those flights if you're looking to book between now and 30 June.
I just picked a couple of dates at random, it definitely came up as 2800 earlier this afternoon, but I see now that those fares aren't coming up any more, once you click on the days of travel.

The other cheap, but PITA way of getting them on MH is to do some cheap domestic runs within Malaysia (but of course you have to get there first). But PEN-JHB return for ~ $700 with 160 SC's.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Staying domestic, MEL-OOL fares in J cn get 160 SC's (MEL-SYD-OOL). The sale fare just ended was juicy for this at about $499 but at $670ish it's not bad.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
EDIT: which David Noble has already alluded to: Also do fly MEL to AKL in F, EK metal but ensure you do it with a QF flight number, $1240 per one way, I think I saw the fare, or it could be SYD to AKL.
Stay one night and then turn around and come back.
No passport stamps, and most likely the Australian Customs Officer will look at you with disdain, unless of course, MOST likely you will be using Smartgate, in which case, your ony human (Australian Customs) contact will be when they collect your incoming passenger card off you.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Staying domestic, MEL-OOL fares in J cn get 160 SC's (MEL-SYD-OOL). The sale fare just ended was juicy for this at about $499 but at $670ish it's not bad.
160 SC's is return though, so that $1340 for 160.

Another I just learnt through AFF is PER-SIN return on J $999 during July - for 160 SC's, but obviously have to get to PER first.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Yes sorry, I had factored the return SC's.
I'd also thought of the QF code on EK F MEL-AKL fare that has been going for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.