Wiki Posts
Search

Status Credit bonus promotion advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Status Credit bonus promotion advice

Currently i'm 570 SC away from hitting Platinum and am looking to try hit this before my SC resets after 30th Jun... not to mention the impending SC earning doom from July.

Not going to make the current 50% SC promotion, ends 4th April, what are the chances of another one becoming available before 30th June? I'm thinking that with the new earning changes, would they even bother?

I am looking to fly SFO-SYD-SFO to see the family and willing to hold out booking if there is potential of another promo. The 50% will get me alot closer, topping off with a first class run from SFO-DFW-SFO or SFO-JFK-SFO, this should do it.

Should I bury the dream of Platinum?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by pwacher

Thanks,
Patrick
No,

Got 2 days to spare in the USA?
Just book SFO -> LAX -> ORD -> MIA -> SJU in First on AA for like 800 bucks, thats 360SC each way. Mileage Runs they are your friend

-Nick
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by nickcirc
Mileage Runs they are your friend
Until July.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Currently i'm 570 SC away from hitting Platinum and am looking to try hit this before my SC resets after 30th Jun... not to mention the impending SC earning doom from July.

Not going to make the current 50% SC promotion, ends 4th April, what are the chances of another one becoming available before 30th June? I'm thinking that with the new earning changes, would they even bother?

I am looking to fly SFO-SYD-SFO to see the family and willing to hold out booking if there is potential of another promo. The 50% will get me alot closer, topping off with a first class run from SFO-DFW-SFO or SFO-JFK-SFO, this should do it.

Thanks,
Patrick
How long have you been platinum? QFF sometimes gives double SC offers near the end of a membership year to help platinums renew.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Himeno
Until July.
Just because there is a devaluation in earning rates, doesn't mean SC runs may not be worthwhile in some circumstances.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
How long have you been platinum? QFF sometimes gives double SC offers near the end of a membership year to help platinums renew.
This seems contrary to the implied aim of the latest SC devaluation process. Ie get rid of marginal high status FFers. Or in "UA speak" - the over-entitled.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by og
This seems contrary to the implied aim of the latest SC devaluation process. Ie get rid of marginal high status FFers. Or in "UA speak" - the over-entitled.
Since when has QFF been logical?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Not Platinum as yet, need 570 SC's to get there. Going to see if there are any decent First routes on AA within the US and will keep my eye out for any QF promos.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

The double SC offers are to retain status, not qualify for the first time. So I wouldn't hold out hope for that.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not Platinum as yet, need 570 SC's to get there. Going to see if there are any decent First routes on AA within the US and will keep my eye out for any QF promos.
Most important thing to consider 1st; what tangible benefits would you get if you attain platinum and really how much are they worth? Once you have that then make sure that you don't waste more than that in trying to get a pretty card
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Just remember that QF SC specials are for QF coded flights only. Not ow airlines, partners or even Jetstar coded flights.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

570 SC (830) is along way from 1400. Gold is 700. Is platinum worth the money? http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...ivileges#jump1 QF Gold will get AA lounge access for USA domestic flights. The equivalent AA status does not.

If living in the USA living is permanent or medium to long term the AA FFP may be better for you. Better earn/burn and no surcharges on awards, except on BA flights. Look at post 330 here

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 29, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate (connection dropped out)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Since when has QFF been logical?
Were they ever?

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
570 SC (830) is along way from 1400. Gold is 700. Is platinum worth the money? http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...ivileges#jump1 QF Gold will get AA lounge access for USA domestic flights. The equivalent AA status does not.

If living in the USA living is permanent or medium to long term the AA FFP may be better for you. Better earn/burn and no surcharges on awards, except on BA flights. Look at post 330 here
Remember that AA no longer has soft landings. As a result QF WP earns two years of USA lounge access - for (I assume) 4~ in year one. That's the one feature I thought about quite a while before I made up my mind. I may yet but am waiting for a couple of requests to be answered. PER as a home base makes things "somewhat" complicated with QF.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
In this climate since the changes, how poorly QF is doing in many customers eyes' and media reports etc I am wondering how long till QF target certain levels with such promotions to "sugar the medicine" as it were.

It will be interesting to see how they respond, if at all, in the short-medium term. It may well be that they watch for travel patterns and reduced bookings over the next 6-9-12 months for P1's, WP's and higher yielding golds etc and push some incentive our way. We'll see. Very unlikely I will retain P1 with the new rules, though I have it through Aug 2015 currently in the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.