Wiki Posts
Search

Advice re DIY connection in MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I prefer the VA lounge at both locations. The VA lounge at Melbourne is before security , so do need to clear security after leaving the lounge....
The VA lounge is a nightmare as it can take a very long time to get to the departure gate, as I found out to my delight the last time I flew VA (and missed the flight -- and VA is an even bigger nightmare, even on a flex ticket, when that happens ... a different world from QF. I found the VA lounge inferior, even their much touted and new coffee barista service is no better than what QF has been doing for years. At least they finally have decent coffee, but to suggest that VA offers a better experience or service is a bit misleading. In my experience, admittedly on 3 or 4 VA flights, it was inferior. They do have some good looking staff though.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
You could book the 10a flight and be 95% sure you'd be fine. Indeed if you are out of customs by 8 (flight may well arrive early) you can go to QF check-in/transfer and ask to go on an earlier flight and it's likely they could do that too.

You could also try to check-in for the 2 flights in SIN, have them tag you to SYD so QF "knows" you are making that connection, even if it is on seperate tickets.

If it were me I'd prob book 9:30 or 10, then work towards an earlier flight on arrival. QF are pretty good about getting people on earlier flights if there's space and it's not a totally restricted ticket (and status helps too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.