Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:19 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I loathe Maccas, will only go there on special "Hangover" days, but I should have done the same thing both before and after QF24.

My experience here, following a wonderful flight with Finnair from CDG to BKK, then on to the most lacklustre J flight I've ever taken.
We don't eat it either which made the situation all the more shocking.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Speaking of catering, I just cannot understand how QF think that a bowl of soup is a good idea for food on a one-way J flight costing AUD 796 (MEL-SYD) departing at 2pm, which means quite a few people won't have had lunch due to travelling to the airport?

The alternative was a cardboard box with a small quantity of cheese. Not much to it either.

If it were $400 I'd find it quite understandable. But for $796 I'd have thought you could reasonably expect a proper meal.

In addition they seem to run out of choices by Row 2 most of the time on domestic J. It's starting to get a little annoying.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Speaking of catering, I just cannot understand how QF think that a bowl of soup is a good idea for food on a one-way J flight costing AUD 796 (MEL-SYD) departing at 2pm, which means quite a few people won't have had lunch due to travelling to the airport?

The alternative was a cardboard box with a small quantity of cheese. Not much to it either.

If it were $400 I'd find it quite understandable. But for $796 I'd have thought you could reasonably expect a proper meal.

In addition they seem to run out of choices by Row 2 most of the time on domestic J. It's starting to get a little annoying.
There is the J lounge though if you're absolutely running to make the 2pm flight you may not have time.

If the soup is as good as the soup and sourdough I was served on a J MEL-SYD flight in April, then I'd be quite happy actually.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
There is the J lounge though if you're absolutely running to make the 2pm flight you may not have time.
Thankfully, I tend to normally end up on a "proper lunch" flight with decent meals, and I also normally have enough time to eat in the lounge if I am peckish. However, I am thinking of those who are on a tighter schedule than me and the fact that most airlines would provide a much more substantial meal than a soup and a slice of bread when a ticket costs AUD 796 for a one-way flight over just an hour in duration.

In fact I regularly fly domestic F on JAL and you get a fair bit of food on a 45-min flight, normally costing around AUD 220 one-way, so it feels very "under-catered" on QF. I'm pretty sure the QF domestic J catering used to be a bit more substantial than just a soup or a cardboard box of cheese even outside the meal time, e.g. giving you a proper, filling salad etc.

Has the domestic catering downgrade happened recently as well, but I hadn't noticed because most of my normal flying schedule falls on lunch time?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

If the soup is as good as the soup and sourdough I was served on a J MEL-SYD flight in April, then I'd be quite happy actually.
I've always enjoyed the soup when it's been served - I've always been able to eat it, so I feel better fed than when I'm served something that I can't stomach at all.

I think it's a great thing to serve, easy and fast for the FAs to do so it makes for more efficient service than some stupid dish that they have to fiddle around with.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:31 pm
mfl

Programs: Miles & More, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Oh, you've never been in J on QF24 from Bangkok to Sydney then...
its been a little while, but I still cringe thinking about the breakfast on Singapore-Sydney in J. - 1st time ever I had then take the coffee away I couldn't swallow it.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering if anyone has the latest (in the last month or so) information on the status of J catering on QF22 (NRT-SYD)? I'm wondering if they have improved it since I flew it last.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:58 am

Odd that they would downgrade dinner in J on this route.

A lot of business travellers come straight from the office and will not have had a chance to get dinner before the flight.

Last edited by Offshore171; Sep 15, 2014 at 2:34 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Offshore171
Odd that they would downgrade diner in J on this route.

A lot of business travellers come straight from the office and will not have had a chance to get dinner before the flight.
They likely expect people to spend time in the lounge and eat there.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Himeno
Speaking of which, I found the Sakura lounge vastly better than the QF lounge at NRT. Food not in great abundance anywhere though.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klymen
Speaking of which, I found the Sakura lounge vastly better than the QF lounge at NRT. Food not in great abundance anywhere though.
If I'm on JL or even JQ I don't need to eat much at the lounge because they serve enough food on board, particularly on JL.

There isn't enough food at the QF lounge at NRT to make a meal of it, so I think the catering downgrade on QF J is particularly bad. A lot of QF J passengers would not be aware of JL Sakura lounge etc so they probably head out to the QF lounge to find that there isn't much food, and then find there isn't much food on board either (unless they have changed it recently).

There is a fair bit of food at JL F lounge although it's not to everyone's liking. There is usually Japanese curry, with various smaller dishes around.

However, there are lots of cheap and OK food on the 4th floor of NRT T2 before security and if I feel that I would be hungry, I go up there and grab something to eat.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
I guess the proviso is whether they have left enough time.

You used to be able to say "I'll just get dinner on the flight home". That meant you could leave the office, jump on the Narita Express and cut it fine with the flight.

But if the meal has been downrated, you're probably going to have to get a beer and snack off the trolley ladies on the train!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I really think Qantas and any other airline that cuts benefits or services in the business class cabin is shooting themselves in the foot. The purpose of business class is that it provides benefits, comfort and services which you don't get in economy.

If you cut those benefits, then people vote with their feet and travel on other airlines or they say to themselves "%$^*-it, the last time I flew I was hungry the whole way, I think I'll just do this by video conference this time" or they think "why am I paying 3 times the economy price for this?" then end up just going economy.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Anyway, on the basis of this thread and the lack of food, I've bzzzzzztt Qantas for the upcoming Sydney-Tokyo RTW segment and am going on JAL.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:34 am

Another J passenger on the QF22 had to make a beeline for McDonald's on arrival: LINK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.