Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Perth international Qantas club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I can't see why it would stay as a Qantas lounge if Qantas has no flights; would be probably quietest Qantas lounge in the network

if the space was taken over by a OW carrier, then Jetstar passengers would not have lounge access rights anyway. What is it with calling Jetstar passengers "bogans"?
Comment relates more to the destination than the airline. Terminology was used in the article I read, and based on what I witnessed boarding the JQ flight a couple of weeks ago while waiting for QF77 more than a bit appropriate.

Bali would be one of the few holiday destinations I know where hi vis workwear is deemed appropriate poolside attire.

As for the lounge, QF would be short sighted to close it.... So on form they probably will
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat_4D

As for the lounge, QF would be short sighted to close it.... So on form they probably will
Why would QF be short sighted to close a lounge where there is no flights?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:24 am

Why would QF be short sighted to close a lounge where there is no flights?
As population grows, tourism education and exports between Perth and China continue to grow and demand shifts Joyce would be a special kind of idiot not to relook at these decisions
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by seat_4D
As population grows, tourism education and exports between Perth and China continue to grow and demand shifts Joyce would be a special kind of idiot not to relook at these decisions
If Qantas has no flights from an airport , why on earth would it maintain a lounge? for use for advertising how quiet its lounges can be?

If at some point in the future QF was to re-introduce flights, it could then rent space or make use of another airline's lounge
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:20 am

If Qantas has no flights from an airport , why on earth would it maintain a lounge? for use for advertising how quiet its lounges can be?

If at some point in the future QF was to re-introduce flights, it could then rent space or make use of another airline's lounge
1) the lounge is not that quiet, in fact I find generally the MEL Intl J lounge to be quieter

2) pound for pound there are as many QP / SG / WP members in Perth as Eastern ports, as evidenced by Dom morning patronage

3) Qantas (parent) have not stopped servicing PER, just taken red tails out for Orange much to the disgust of the average punter

4) For the national carrier not to maintain a lounge in PER would be foolish and short sighted, if not directly for the pax and partner airline they have shovelled clientele to (eg CX)

5) a man as smart as you would understand creating space for a lounge in a terminal like PER is far more difficult than maintaining what you have already

6) the aviation market of today is no more representative of tomorrow than it is of yesterday and irrespective of today's plan to shut the lounge leaving CX for example high and dry, and by extension their QF FF members would be the very definition of cutting off ones nose to spite their face
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:26 am

If there are no Qantas Airways flights operating from the international terminal, it would make no sense whatsoever imo to maintain running a lounge there for the zero passengers a day that will be on Qantas flights

If the average punter is disgusted with using JQ, then why are they using it? the airport has various other airlines operating there

How busy the domestic lounge is is irrelevent; I was referring to it not making sense to run lounges at terminals where there is no flight operating

If it was to close, perhaps CX would be happy to take it and use it as a CX lounge
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
If it was to close, perhaps CX would be happy to take it and use it as a CX lounge
Dave you have provided the perfect explanation of why QF will never close the international lounge in PER. Besides they might make more $$ in renting the lounge access to CX on an individual flyer basis.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:11 pm

it would make no sense whatsoever imo
That is your opinion and you are welcome to it, but it does not make you right....
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Considering that TG, SA and I 'think' NZ all send you to the QF lounge it would almost make more sense for SQ to take that space over (I think they have plans to build a new lounge in PER anyway) and then someone new like EY move into the teeny-tiny SQ lounge space.

Who knows, at the moment I'm sure QF are still receiving an income from having other airlines use their lounge for now
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:24 pm

Look objectively at the issue at hand:

1) Qantas as a "group" have decided that they will service PER in the immediate future with Jetstar and not Qantas fleet and staff. Right decision, or wrong, that is the call they have made.

2) Qantas as a "group" have not stated anywhere I have read that it is not a decision that will not be reviewed in the future.

3) It takes far less effort to add (of for that matter cancel) a service than it does to add a lounge

4) A large number of QF FF members with CL WP1, WP, SG and QC status will have a choice to make - fly JQ and get lounge access, or in the absence of lounge access fly another carrier.

JQ loyalty take up from QF Elites and QP members would be rseriously comprimised if the lounge access was removed to DPS and SIN (for example) with VA, SQ, Air Aisa, Garuda etc all competing for that share of revenue.

VA / SQ / Garuda all full service carriers at a somewhat comparable cost to JQ to SIN / DPS. If you take away the two perks (J check in and lounge access) then there is limited incentive to fly JQ

If the JQ strategy fails out of PER, then the Qantas "group" suffers. Sometimes an investment is strategic in the absence of "simple" logic

To take the lounge away from Qantas control would therefore be short sighted and foolish.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

When QF pulled out of the Gold Coast they turned the QP into a Jetstar Lounge. Same in NZ - are they still there? Maybe they'll try that on in PER to retain the space and sell day passes to JQ pax.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

When QF pulled out of the Gold Coast they turned the QP into a Jetstar Lounge. Same in NZ - are they still there? Maybe they'll try that on in PER to retain the space and sell day passes to JQ pax.
Exactly and what I posted earlier.
I doubt the QP will remain in PER International it will cost too much to operate with legacy QF costs regardless of the income they get from other airlines.
Taking the NZ experience IMO they will seek an external provider and basically transfer the QP to them, furnishings, contracts and all.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Exactly and what I posted earlier.
I doubt the QP will remain in PER International it will cost too much to operate with legacy QF costs regardless of the income they get from other airlines.
Taking the NZ experience IMO they will seek an external provider and basically transfer the QP to them, furnishings, contracts and all.
That is what I would expect. I cannot see QF deciding to maintain a Qantas Lounge where Qantas is no more. Is there any location where has a lounge which has no QF services?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:44 pm

And now it is flying there again and reopened. However if QF abandon the lounge and space in PER there is no where else to open a lounge in the future of equal scale and size.

The issue in the main is PER Intl is a junk airport, and the lick of paint and couple of check in counters being built currently is barely enough to change that.

Qantas will do what they decide to do, and on current form that is likely to be a lounge closure, but for reasons i have indicated elsewhere that would be a foolish, short sighted decision with potentially far greater costs savings achieved.

Real example - say I want to fly Y to SIN and my choice is about to be JQ116 leaving at 0730 or SQ224 leaving at 0630 and am WP/SG/QP.

Give me a lounge to have breakfast and a coffee and a comfortable place to sit for the hour and a half before boarding in an otherwise terrible terminal and I will probably suffer through on JQ at $299. Take that lounge away and the far superior product is SQ and at around $360 I am on that one!

If no one flys a Qantas group airline out of PER international, then the strategy fails. Fact. Jetstar are more expensive than Air Asia / Tiger whatever and nowhere near as good as SQ / VA / Garuda they (Qantas) are leaving themselves exposed if they walk this path.

Secondly, QF77/78 is still slated to operate peak periods (to that end is available in some dates in July that I randomly selected).

Add the 2 together, and closing the lounge would be a disaster
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

When QF stopped flying internationally from CNS (having shifted them all to JQ) the QF lounge remained only for a short period before becoming a contract lounge.

As for QF lounges in NZ, there is only AKL international terminal and WLG international terminal. All the QF domestic lounges (unsure for CHC?) switched to contract and then subsequently closed. JQ (and DJ when it was still around) pax were not enough to keep the lounges viable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.