Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Seats in F on A380

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Help with Seats in F on A380

I much prefer the A side to the K side for the reasons mentioned above. On my last trip in the F cabin I was in 1K and the passenger in 2F had placed her small carry on above 2K. 2K got on a did a massive dummy spit and I ended up offering the space above my seat for 2F's belongings.
Another reason to avoid the F/K side IMHO.
I have once sat in 5F (very late gate upgrade) and had a great flight but that was overnight and if possible I would always pick a window.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Really though, I'd take 1F over anything in lower cabins - and so would anyone else here
Somehow I just don't think that you would.

There is no 1F on a QF A380.

Last edited by GriseldaPugh; Feb 5, 2014 at 3:28 pm Reason: Added the A in 380!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
3A for me.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by enzian
Thanks again. Got 2A and 3A. We are very excited----it has been 15 years since we last visited Australia. I intended to book in J, but only F seats showed up as available, so I grabbed those. I had no idea how awesome F class is until I read some reviews after booking. We will definitely appreciate the extra comfort for sleeping, since it is an overnight flight. Hopefully we will arrive rested and ready to hit the ground running.
Great choices.

I've been in 2A a few times and it's awesome. You are going to love the excitement of visiting Australia in such comfort - it makes me look forward to the flight itself instead of the dreaded "ugh, 14 hours" thought in Y. Don't be too disappointed at the LAX lounge - it all gets better onboard. Please try the steak sandwich!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Yes, this should be a great start to out trip. Last time I flew to Australia, 15 years ago, it was in Economy. Travel companion and I had center (me) and aisle (him) seats. The guy in the window seat kept ringing for drinks, which they kept serving him. Then after we were asleep he wanted to get up. Instead of asking to be let out, he tried to climb out by standing on the armrests. He lurched and fell in my friend's lap! I was not looking forward to another trip like that, so am really happy we scored these seats.

When do they serve the steak sandwich? We won't want to eat after boarding, as the flight departs at 22:20, time for sleep, maybe after a glass of wine. What meals do they serve in the last half of the flight? There must be more than breakfast before landing.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by enzian
When do they serve the steak sandwich? We won't want to eat after boarding, as the flight departs at 22:20, time for sleep, maybe after a glass of wine. What meals do they serve in the last half of the flight? There must be more than breakfast before landing.
In F you can pretty much each at any time. They serve dinner after takeoff and while you may want to sleep, you might want to stay awake and nibble on something (else you'll wake up super early Australian time and about 5 hours before landing).

Check airliners.net or trip reports for the latest menus. They are extensive - the steak sandwich comes from the Bistro menu, while 'fuller' mains are included on the dinner menu. Don't 'maybe' a glass of wine - have some! And the champagne is good stuff.

They do serve breakfast before landing, but it's listed in the menu. I had 2 breakfasts on my trip (because I was super hungry) - never hurts to ask. Enjoy.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
OK, you have convinced me! We will stay up and have something to eat, and 2-3 glasses of wine! Maybe then we can sleep for 10 hours.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GriseldaPugh
Somehow I just don't think that you would.

There is no 1F on a QF A380.
OK too many recent flights in narrowbodies lately !!

5F then. I know it exists because I've been in it On the QF 380, in F I have the BP stub to prove it !!!!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Personally I would choose the A side, as the middle seats cannot exit their seat onto the A side only the K side, so traffic is much quieter on the A side, would keep clear of 1A as it is just infront of the loo and have noticed a bit noisy, so would choose 2 and3 A or 3A and 4 A. All seats in F are good plenty of space.^
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by BA5E
Personally I would choose the A side, as the middle seats cannot exit their seat onto the A side only the K side, so traffic is much quieter on the A side, would keep clear of 1A as it is just infront of the loo and have noticed a bit noisy, so would choose 2 and3 A or 3A and 4 A. All seats in F are good plenty of space.^

re the loo noise. I've been in 1A/K a few times (luckily ) and honestly the loo is fairly quiet (though more foot traffic on the K side, as endlessly noted - specially at start/end of flight for pj changers/freshen up and after meal times) but I found the to/from to the closets right there to be much more annoying. Only on a few flights, but that has bugged me more than the loo.

everyone's mileage is different,of course (you know, status bonuses and stuff )
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:36 am

re the loo noise. I've been in 1A/K a few times (luckily ) and honestly the loo is fairly quiet (though more foot traffic on the K side, as endlessly noted - specially at start/end of flight for pj changers/freshen up and after meal times) but I found the to/from to the closets right there to be much more annoying. Only on a few flights, but that has bugged me more than the loo.

everyone's mileage is different,of course (you know, status bonuses and stuff )
My boss does nothing but moan about 1A and 1K. If it is not the curtain swishing it is the cupboard being opened and closed constantly. Fortunately I have managed to keep him away from there on 23 occasions.....as for the other two - he just keeps going on and on. :roll eyes:

(He always says that there is no discernible difference on foot traffic between A and K... but he is probably in a stupor)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by GriseldaPugh
My boss does nothing but moan about 1A and 1K. If it is not the curtain swishing it is the cupboard being opened and closed constantly. Fortunately I have managed to keep him away from there on 23 occasions.....as for the other two - he just keeps going on and on. :roll eyes:

(He always says that there is no discernible difference on foot traffic between A and K... but he is probably in a stupor)
WOW #firstclassworldproblems anyone?

sorry but yeah. That's why they have the noise reducing headphones and stuff.

Next time he complains about 1A you can suggest 68E may be an option
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

I think it's reasonable to expect close to perfection if you are paying ten (or more) times the price of the economy seat. You should get what you pay for!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by og
I think it's reasonable to expect close to perfection if you are paying ten (or more) times the price of the economy seat. You should get what you pay for!
Sure, but I guess I feel like I pay for the seat (ok I upgrade into it ), the soft product like catering and service delivery, but I don't pay for (and QF can't be responsible for, by large) the actions of other passengers passing by, going to the lav or opening the closet etc.

This is just an opinion and not intended as a fame or anything of the sort, but to me it's like the screaming baby thing. You can't control that. the FA's can't control that. Now, I would argue the design of the suite or location can have an impact - now would(does?) the EK F suite (or SQ) enclosed provide more noise protection - you'd think so, but again that's also what the headsets are for.

I posted earlier I noticed the noise from closets more than the loo etc so I' not denying it can be an irritant, but I'm sure the actual disruption over the course of a 14 hour flight would be minimal, and I doubt the noise would wake the majority f sleepers. Though if someone wants to open the closet and bang stuff around, or the overhead over 2A for that matter, or whatever.... well.. ot much you can do except ask (or hope for!) some consideration.

I know I am very conscious when in any cabin, but specially F, and I'm getting up to get stuff out of overhead, or go to the lav or whatever to do it as quietly as possible. Sadly not everyone is so considerate.

Luckily the person in question has only had to be subjected to the dreaded row 1 seats on about 10% of sectors, so that's a good thing.

My mileage varies. If I was in 12J I'd jump to 1K withut a peep

Here's the takeaway point from this fairly trivial diversion in the thread - it still suggests 3A is the best seat in the house
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:45 pm

You don't know the half of it. Very difficult man to work for. I pity you poor people at the Flyertalk Qantas AGM who will have to put up with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.