Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Seats in F on A380

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Smile Help with Seats in F on A380

Hi--- just booked award seats in F on the A380 from LAX to SYD. We have never been on an A380 nor flown in F on a long-haul,flight. Trying to figure out what is best for 2 traveling together. The seat maps on Qantas and SeatGuru differ slightly in that the former shows the A seats as singles and the F and K seats as paired. SeatGuru shows them as spaced equally--- A and K as window seats, and F seats in the middle with an aisle down either side.

We hope to sleep at least half the flight, but would like to talk now and then after that. If we choose F and K innthe same row, will we be talking across an aisle as the SeatGuru seems to indicate, or will we have somewhat adjacent seats as the Qantas map indicates?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:05 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There is an aisle between F and K (and also A and F), and both are diagonally angled away from each other.
A seat towards left window, F towards left with aisle entry on right, K angled towards right.
Quite difficult to talk between any two seats.

Personally I would go with two A seats eg 1A 2A, use the ottoman for dining/talking together. A side for less foot traffic.
shansta likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will do that.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by nux
Personally I would go with two A seats eg 1A 2A, use the ottoman for dining/talking together. A side for less foot traffic.
+1
shansta likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Based a whole 1 trip at new year my oh-so-experienced opinion would be: do A seats 2/3 or 3/4 - as others have said, (a little) less traffic through that aisle side, and away from the noise at either end.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A side is the best. Middle to front cabin if possible. QF staff on ID fares seem to infest the back rows - near their mates in the galley.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
+1 for the 2A/3A recommendation. 1A is right by the left lav (well beyond the divider) but 2/3 are the quieter ones and that single aisle is only getting traffic to/from those 5 seats while the right aisle serves the F/K seats so more foot traffic.

realistically most any seat in F on that flight will be fine. I've sat in row 1, 5F(one of the "worse" seats), 3A etc.. they are all very comfy.

As others have said 2 can sit/dine together during the flight.

Enjoy your award flight!!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks again. Got 2A and 3A. We are very excited----it has been 15 years since we last visited Australia. I intended to book in J, but only F seats showed up as available, so I grabbed those. I had no idea how awesome F class is until I read some reviews after booking. We will definitely appreciate the extra comfort for sleeping, since it is an overnight flight. Hopefully we will arrive rested and ready to hit the ground running.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:53 am

My Boss selects in the following order of preference:

4A
3A
2A
5A
1A

He claims greater privacy on the K side. It is also worth noting that 4A and 4K have three windows whilst the others have 2.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:34 am

I also have to agree that the "K" side is much better. The passengers seated in the middle seats actually face the "A" seats. There are privacy dividers, but if they are not raised, it is very open and has an untidy look about it, in my opinion. We enjoyed both sitting on the "K" side, which we thought was very private. People mention foot traffic?? For the small number of passengers in First Class, we never found this an issue. The foot traffic from the Cabin Crew was more annoying (seemed to rock the whole suite structure). Anyway, have a great flight!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ausffm
I also have to agree that the "K" side is much better. The passengers seated in the middle seats actually face the "A" seats. There are privacy dividers, but if they are not raised, it is very open and has an untidy look about it, in my opinion. We enjoyed both sitting on the "K" side, which we thought was very private. People mention foot traffic?? For the small number of passengers in First Class, we never found this an issue. The foot traffic from the Cabin Crew was more annoying (seemed to rock the whole suite structure). Anyway, have a great flight!
Yes the middle seats do face towards the A side, however during takeoff/landing when the dividers are down, all seats face forward anyway, so the middle passengers are in fact closer to the K side. So there is definately a loss of privacy then on the K side.

The cabin crew have always raised the dividers when the seats can be pivoted, such that when the middle seat passengers can pivot towards the A side, the divider is up already, so A retains better privacy in my mind over K.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
Had an F award last year SYD-LAX.
AJ on board and sitting in a K seat.

Just an observation.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

Yes, but AJ is known to show poor judgement in most things...

I guess it is all personal preference. Let's face it.. you're in F on a QF 380 - every seat is a good seat. If you're a fan of Animal Farm, then some seats are "more good" than others (oh that's terrible I know!).

After a number of sectors in F my personal preference is for the A side, but that's just me. There's merit to the K side, but as I say meal time and the like, the K side gets more traffic from crew and pax up and down for the lav. For me, that is more bothersome (thanks Seat Guru!) than the A side.

An additional issue I thought of is that the middle section has no overheads, so the K side bins get used by the F side pax often to share..... the A side pretty much the bin is yours, so if you have more carry on than can fit around your seat (ie: under the 2nd seat) this may also be a slight issue.

Really though, I'd take 1F over anything in lower cabins - and so would anyone else here
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Say for example you were looking at a seatmap for your upcoming QF F A380 flight and you currently have 1A selected and the only other seat taken is 2A, would you move? 1K, 2K and all other seats are still available.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
Say for example you were looking at a seatmap for your upcoming QF F A380 flight and you currently have 1A selected and the only other seat taken is 2A, would you move? 1K, 2K and all other seats are still available.

3A for me. 1A is fine, but it's a bit closer to the lav and closet on that side so some people come and go a bit with a little extra noise.

If you head back to row 5, it's closer to the galley so can get some noise (gossip!) during busier times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.