Search

Power on Qantas Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:29 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by AAFFAustin
Although there site also states the following:

"Qantas upgrades Boeing 747-400 experience
Enjoy a state-of-the-art cabin environment and an exceptional customer experience on our refitted Qantas Boeing 747-400 aircraft, which is aligned with our flagship A380 offering.
The Aircraft

The B747-400 Reconfiguration Program includes the complete fit out of the aircraft interior including new seats and new cabin configurations. The newly-configured aircraft are fitted with 364 seats: 58 Business, 36 Premium Economy and 270 Economy. The seats in all three cabins have won awards for their design and comfort, including the 2009 Australian International Design Award for the Economy seat.

There are now nine Boeing 747-400 aircraft operating on selected B747 routes including Brisbane-Los Angeles, Sydney-Dallas, Sydney-Santiago, Sydney-Los Angeles- New York, and Brisbane -Singapore. "

If you notice, the 747-400, which we will be on, does not show on the list from DFW - SYD as being one of the 9 upgraded. Only SYD - DFW. C

Guess this is why the rep is stating that there is NO power on our flight. I was hoping they are wrong and wanted a confirmation. I won't be using any laptops. Only phones and Kindles. I guess I will have to start looking for some external power on Amazon.
As serfty has already pointed out, the routes listed are based on their Oz origination points, so in reality the QF blurb applies equally to the return route (which, because of the range, is actually DFW-BNE-SYD).

More importantly, if you're just using phones and kindles, the issue is also whether there are USB ports (assuming a kindle can be USB-powered - I have an iPad so have no idea whether a kindle is USB-based). The USB sockets on board will not charge a device but will power it, so if you're fully charged when you board, you'll be fully charged when you land.

The 747 refurbishments were (I think) primarily aimed at installing the SkyBed Mk II seats in J to make them comparable with the A380. However, I think it also extended to the rest of the plane, including economy. As such, despite the somewhat contradictory information on the QF website (and from QF), I would be very surprised if economy does not have power and USB ports. For the OP, I would proceed on the basis that power and/or USB ports will be available. Obviously, a report back after your flight would be useful!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Headed for 1Mil.
Thanks for the help everyone. I might take the chance that there will be 110v power or USB. Either will work for the kindle. It comes with a 110v to mini USB power charger. As long as there is power, I can charge it.

As for the DFW-SYD direct flight, that is really odd. Here is a part of my itinerary:
carrier Qantas Airways 8
DALLAS FT WORTH
SUN 11AUG 10:15 PM
SYDNEY
MON 12AUG
8:20 AM

This what my E-ticket shows. However, when I had initially put the tickets on hold, it read:

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1136 AUS Austin Aug 11, 2013
07:05 PM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Aug 11, 2013
08:10 PM T N/A

QANTAS AIRWAYS 8 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Aug 11, 2013
10:15 PM BNE Brisbane Aug 13, 2013
05:10 AM X N/A

QANTAS AIRWAYS 8 BNE Brisbane Aug 13, 2013
06:40 AM SYD Sydney Aug 13, 2013
08:20 AM

Very strange that my final E-ticket doesn't mention Brisbane at all. Oh well, I guess we have a 1.5 hour layover. I will call AA and confirm.

I will post my findings in regards to the power when we return on Aug. 20th.
^
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Very strange that my final E-ticket doesn't mention Brisbane at all. Oh well, I guess we have a 1.5 hour layover. I will call AA and confirm. ...
What you have with QF8 is being booked on a "Direct" flight DFW to SYD. That is different from a "Non-Stop" Flight to SYD.

On arrival into BNE, you will disembark and go through "Transit" security, then up to the departures level to await your onward QF8 leg to SYD - with such you need to resubmit to LAG rules.

FWIW, here's E/F's 'view' of the flight: Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Details Search:
Departing on 11/08/13 12:00 AM
Flying QF flight 8

Depart             Arrive             Airline  Equipment  Number  Meal     Time    Miles  Reliability
DFW                BNE                
Terminal:  D       Terminal: INTERNATIO QF       744        8     RM RM RM 15h 55m 8313   78% / 15m
11/08/13 10:15 PM  13/08/13 5:10 AM
BNE                SYD                
Terminal: INT      Terminal:  1 INT     QF       744        8     B B B     1h 40m  465    0% / 172m
13/08/13 6:40 AM   13/08/13 8:20 AM
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Understand.

15h 55m
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:30 pm
tt7

I will post my findings in regards to the power when we return on Aug. 20th.
Perhaps while you're killing time in BNE?

http://www.bne.com.au/shopping-dinin...-while-transit

...... except, of course, if there is no power, all your devices will probably be DOA.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Just confirmed with AA and you guys are correct. We are stopping in BNE for about an hour or so. The agent didn't think we are able to get off the plane, but only to stand and stretch. After that long, it doesn't really matter.

I am in for some torture with this trip.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: QFF
Just confirmed with AA and you guys are correct. We are stopping in BNE for about an hour or so. The agent didn't think we are able to get off the plane, but only to stand and stretch. After that long, it doesn't really matter.

I am in for some torture with this trip.
The agent is wrong. Everyone gets off the plane in BNE and reboard after transit security. Some passengers connect to other flights out of BNE instead of going through to SYD.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Himeno
The agent is wrong. Everyone gets off the plane in BNE and reboard after transit security. Some passengers connect to other flights out of BNE instead of going through to SYD.
... and as previously noted, you need to pass through security again and are subject to LAG restions.

Note that Oz secuity can be less onerous than that of the TSA, you can generally leave your belt and shoes on.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by tt7
The USB sockets on board will not charge a device but will power it, so if you're fully charged when you board, you'll be fully charged when you land.
Is that only on the 744's? I could swear I've plugged my device into the USB port when it was running out of power and removed it sometime later at 100%.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:24 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by serfty
Note that Oz security can be less onerous than that of the TSA, you can generally leave your belt and shoes on.
Not only is it less onerous, they may actually smile or say hello or engage in similar bizarre examples of interpersonal skills ....
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:27 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by vecta
Is that only on the 744's? I could swear I've plugged my device into the USB port when it was running out of power and removed it sometime later at 100%.
You may well be right - I just have a sense that I've been on planes with USB ports, where the port powered but did not charge the device. Perhaps the OP can also report back on this!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:30 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by Himeno
The agent is wrong. Everyone gets off the plane in BNE and reboard after transit security.
Indeed. Times were when you didn't have to - I used to fly BA15/16 BNE-SIN-LHR back in the late 1990s and staying on the plane in SIN was an option - not any longer. In my experience, it's now universal that you have to get off the plane.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tt7
Not only is it less onerous, they may actually smile or say hello or engage in similar bizarre examples of interpersonal skills ....
Clearly you were not in transit at SYD around 0800 today. Surly would be putting it politely.....oh well, QP has its benefits.

TK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.