FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Power on Qantas Flights?
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:29 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by AAFFAustin
Although there site also states the following:

"Qantas upgrades Boeing 747-400 experience
Enjoy a state-of-the-art cabin environment and an exceptional customer experience on our refitted Qantas Boeing 747-400 aircraft, which is aligned with our flagship A380 offering.
The Aircraft

The B747-400 Reconfiguration Program includes the complete fit out of the aircraft interior including new seats and new cabin configurations. The newly-configured aircraft are fitted with 364 seats: 58 Business, 36 Premium Economy and 270 Economy. The seats in all three cabins have won awards for their design and comfort, including the 2009 Australian International Design Award for the Economy seat.

There are now nine Boeing 747-400 aircraft operating on selected B747 routes including Brisbane-Los Angeles, Sydney-Dallas, Sydney-Santiago, Sydney-Los Angeles- New York, and Brisbane -Singapore. "

If you notice, the 747-400, which we will be on, does not show on the list from DFW - SYD as being one of the 9 upgraded. Only SYD - DFW. C

Guess this is why the rep is stating that there is NO power on our flight. I was hoping they are wrong and wanted a confirmation. I won't be using any laptops. Only phones and Kindles. I guess I will have to start looking for some external power on Amazon.
As serfty has already pointed out, the routes listed are based on their Oz origination points, so in reality the QF blurb applies equally to the return route (which, because of the range, is actually DFW-BNE-SYD).

More importantly, if you're just using phones and kindles, the issue is also whether there are USB ports (assuming a kindle can be USB-powered - I have an iPad so have no idea whether a kindle is USB-based). The USB sockets on board will not charge a device but will power it, so if you're fully charged when you board, you'll be fully charged when you land.

The 747 refurbishments were (I think) primarily aimed at installing the SkyBed Mk II seats in J to make them comparable with the A380. However, I think it also extended to the rest of the plane, including economy. As such, despite the somewhat contradictory information on the QF website (and from QF), I would be very surprised if economy does not have power and USB ports. For the OP, I would proceed on the basis that power and/or USB ports will be available. Obviously, a report back after your flight would be useful!