Wiki Posts
Search

Duplicate booking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Duplicate booking

When I log in to my QFF account, I appear to have two bookings for travel in July / August.

I'm actually travelling:

BNE-SYD
SYD-SIN
SIN-LHR
LHR-ABZ

in July and returning in August

My flights are all ticketed by British Airways, but because they don't operate their FF programme in Australia, I've added my QFF number.

I just logged in to my QFF account. I clicked on View your Bookings instead of View your Summary. I wasn't surprised to see my BA booking because at some time, they must talk to each other. What I was surprised to see was a separate booking with a completely different booking number for all the same flights. The only difference is that where I'm flying domestically in Australia, the original booking shows the BA codeshare flight numbers. The "new" booking number shows QF flight numbers for my flights on Qantas. I've paid to select seats on some of my flights, and these are the same on both booking numbers.

Should I be worried about that second booking number? I haven't flown much, and I don't know much about how the airlines work. I've seen multiple thread on Flyertalk about people being "no shows" which cancels their booking. I can really only check in for one of the flights, but would not checking in for the other cause the remainder of my flights to be cancelled?

If I have to ring someone, would it be BA or Qantas?

Last edited by weegraeme; Jun 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm Reason: Clarified flight / return dates
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: QF QP
Completely normal.
One will have you QF booking reference and one will be the BA reference.
I think this comes about because QF and BA use different systems and the duplicate allows both systems to have the information.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: QF WP
Completely normal. Have the same thing showing in mine right now where I am ticketed with QF and JL SYD-NRT-LHR and back but the NRT-LHR legs are on BA metal.

If you need to call someone call the airline it was ticketed with or the TA that booked it.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airvan00
Completely normal.
I think this comes about because QF and BA use different systems and the duplicate allows both systems to have the information.
Ok. Thanks for that. This was one of those occasions where what little knowledge I do have of airlines was too much for my own good, but not enough to know what was happening. :-)

Originally Posted by djpjapan
Completely normal. Have the same thing showing in mine right now where I am ticketed with QF and JL SYD-NRT-LHR and back but the NRT-LHR legs are on BA metal.

If you need to call someone call the airline it was ticketed with or the TA that booked it.
Thank you also. I thought it would be BA, but on the other hand, it appeared to me that Qantas had created some sort of problem. Now that I know it's normal, I'm mighty happy again.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Airvan00
Completely normal.
There is only 1 image when doing the opposite (booking QF issued ticket with BA sectors, and the clone is from QF to BA); so this is an anomaly in how BA propagates the PNR to QF which doesn't occur QF to BA. I hate to say it but one time that QF has superior IT system to BA, and this problem is BA's doing. In any case it is normal unless you somehow modify the shadow booking instead of the main one
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
There is only 1 image when doing the opposite (booking QF issued ticket with BA sectors, and the clone is from QF to BA); so this is an anomaly in how BA propagates the PNR to QF which doesn't occur QF to BA. I hate to say it but one time that QF has superior IT system to BA, and this problem is BA's doing. In any case it is normal unless you somehow modify the shadow booking instead of the main one
False information.

2 Amadeus carriers on a single PNR will generate an additional 'ghost' PNR for the 'slave' booking. It does not matter QF to BA or BA to QF or any combination for that matter. Some 'ghost' entries are just harder to find.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF WP
Mine is a case of it the other way too. Initially only showed the QF/JL booking in QFF. But it wouldn't let me select seats on the JL flight numbers on the BA metal so I went to the BA site and plugged in the 'ghost' ref no, entered my FF # and selected the seats. Then the ghost entries starting showing in QFF with the BA flight numbers
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Yep, happens to me all the time. One of the numbers usually works better than the other for "manage my booking stuff" .
BTW, I think we had our summer in ABZ last week.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:18 am
Original Poster

The other day, I logged in to manage my bookings using the Qantas website. It looked like it would allow me to select seats on the QF flights, even though they're BA ticketed. I didn't make any changes though. I was worried that I'd cause a problem with my booking. Am I likely to?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:30 am

No. Go ahead and pick your seats now. (although BA doesn't usually let economy travellers choose their seats until just before - 24 hrs? Can't remember. -the departure time).

Then after a while you could try looking your booking up on the BA website to see that your changes have been registered.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: QF QP
Not sure what would happen in your case, but I have done the reverse with no adverse consequences. Using the duplicate PNR from the QF MMB, I was able to go to the BA website and select seats on the BA MMB.
( the only way to find out is give it a try )
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:45 am

+1
I always get muddled as to which ref# is which, but trial and error will lead to the right one with no adverse consequences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.