Qantas-Emirates alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you...that is interesting!!!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Stolen from the BA board: http://m.arabianbusiness.com/emirate...ce-503849.html

FWIW, this ties up with info from one contact who suggested contrary to QF announcements that bookings post end of March had fallen off a cliff. Personally I think QF are playing a dangerous game.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And just wait until Garuda and Turkish Airlines who enter the fray on the Kangaroo Route next year!

(Turkish Airlines plan to serve Sydney from Istanbul next year, and within 3 years will do the route direct and non-stop, and so should become the first airline to perform direct, non-stop service between Europe [Atatürk airport is just about in Europe!] and Australia. QF and EK (together with EY and VA) will have prepared the Australian public for the long first leg followed by a shorter second leg. And with Turkish's greater coverage and higher frequencies around Europe than Emirates, the one-stop trip to Europe becomes even more attractive on TK).
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Competition

Hopefully the extra competition will help to keep prices dowN!!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And just wait until Garuda and Turkish Airlines who enter the fray on the Kangaroo Route next year!

(Turkish Airlines plan to serve Sydney from Istanbul next year, and within 3 years will do the route direct and non-stop, and so should become the first airline to perform direct, non-stop service between Europe [Atatürk airport is just about in Europe!] and Australia. QF and EK (together with EY and VA) will have prepared the Australian public for the long first leg followed by a shorter second leg. And with Turkish's greater coverage and higher frequencies around Europe than Emirates, the one-stop trip to Europe becomes even more attractive on TK).
With Garuda's reputation (deserved or not), I can't see them pinching much of the Kangaroo route.

But Turkish - interesting; hadn't heard that. Was scoping out a SYD or MEL - IST trip only last night!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
I have an LHR-AKL (one-way) trip coming up and i'm booked into EK (EK metal and EK code) on Business Class.

Wondering where best to direct the points. I'm Silver with Qantas and have about 50k miles, and have no status or miles with Skywards.

If I could get QFF status credits flying EK it'd be a no brainer, but obviously (and unfortunately) that's not part of their alliance agreement.

But given that i'm New Zealand based, and unlikely to fly EK much in the future (which makes achieving Gold status with them highly unlikely) i'm thinking it might be best to credit the miles to QFF.

Thoughts? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: EK Silver, CX Gold, SQ Silver, EY Gold
I am in a similar position in that I am NZ based and fly frequently in and out of Dxb. I am currently a Skywards Silver member but realize that the majority of my flights will now be with Qantas. I have opted to join the Qantas FF program and become a Qantas Club member which allows me access the lounges I need.

I'd also be interested in others thoughts ?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Petsar68
... I am currently a Skywards Silver member but realize that the majority of my flights will now be with Qantas. I have opted to join the Qantas FF program and become a Qantas Club member which allows me access the lounges I need.

I'd also be interested in others thoughts ?
Why ?
If you get a higher EK status would not that get you lounges access ?
You can join the QF club and not use the QF ffp
QF ffp has very high points cost for awards with large cash copay fees and poor costly upgrade options
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:16 pm

http://m.smh.com.au/business/emirate...605-2npb3.html
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:26 pm

I was previously Skywards Gold but am unlikely to make Gold in the future. Currently Silver does allow me access to the EK lounge in Dxb but not in Australia or NZ. My flights will now be on Qantas so I figured that its only a matter of time before I become Skywards Blue as flying with Qantas doesn't allow me to obtain Skywards Tier Miles.

I opted to switch across in the knowledge that in the long run I stand to gain more out of the Qantas FF and by joining the QC I have at least got lounge access.

That's my thinking but I am willing to be corrected as I have no issues with Emirates or their FF program.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

I booked a flight from Sydney to London with Emirates and I'm a Qantas FF. However, my plane ticket says EK. Does that mean I won't get to accrue FF points on this flight?

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ates/global/en
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stan13
I booked a flight from Sydney to London with Emirates and I'm a Qantas FF. However, my plane ticket says EK. Does that mean I won't get to accrue FF points on this flight?

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ates/global/en
You earn QF points on an EK flight number SYD-LHR/LGW, but not SC's

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...rline/emirates
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Just an FYI

I have just redeemed a DXB-PER economy flight on EK.
Cost 36,000 points plus AED140 in taxes (about AUD42). No fuel surcharges.

Seems quite reasonable to me.
Did it on the qantas web site. One added wrinkle is that you receive an email from Qantas Dubai asking you to print, complete and sign, scan and return an authorisation for the AED140 credit card transaction. Apart from that, everything was eay.

Just for interest I looked at a DXB-MEL redemption flying QF – 48,000 points plus AED1400+ in taxes and surcharges

(I also redeemed a 1st class DXB-PER flight – for Mrs pandaperth, the birthday girl. That cost 108,000 points plus the same AED140 in taxes.)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
A question on baggage interlining

We will be flying:
On 1st ticket: BUD-xLHR-DXB (BA and QF)
On 2nd tickets: DXB-PER (EK) (Mrs pandaperth and I have separate tickets for this flight – she in F and me in Y)

Will we be able to check our bags all the way through from Budapest to Perth?

If not, at Budapest will we be able to check in just to London (the BA flight)
and then in London check in for LHR-DXB and DXB-PER (Qantas and Emirates flights – on separate tickets) – with our bags going straight through to Perth

The reason I’m asking is that we will have plenty of time at LHR (we will be going in to London – so we can retrieve our bags, store them and get them back later); whereas we only have a short time in Dubai, and Mrs pandaperth will want to spend that time in the EK 1st lounge rather than pass through immigration, retrieve bags, pass through customs, check in for DXB-PER flight, pass though immigration in the opposite direction, then security and end up spending 5 minutes in the lounge
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
BA won't interline if on separate tickets and not oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.