Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Premium Economy (744) vs BA Premium Economy (77W)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, BA, 9W

Hello,

I will be flying Singapore - Sydney in July and have a couple of flight choices. Since the fares are similar, I would like your opinion on which of these is a better Premium Economy product:

British Airways World Traveller Plus on the B777-300ER
or
Qantas Premium Economy on the B747-400 (non-refurbished)

On a related note, it's a shame Qantas' product offering to Singapore has deteriorated so quickly, from state of the art A380's to old generation A333's and B744's. They need to pull up their socks - fast - if they want to compete with SQ.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
QFs PE is generally J- in terms of food and drinks, while BA is Y+ - so food and bev better on QF.
Also I think QFs seats and IFE are newer.

QF has announced it is looking at refurbing A330s, both domestic and international, in 2014, but made no further announcements.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd say that the service is better on QF but in terms of the hard product, the seat is very similar between the QF 747 and the BA 773 (which has the new Premium Economy product). The IFE is much better on the BA 773 than the QF 747.

Personally, having flown both I'd probably go with QF.

If you want to see what the products are like there are some trip reports over in the trip reports forum with photos of both.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
QF Premium Economy seats are the same whether on the old or the refurbished B744. The 3 class B744 (old non-refurbished J and Y) actually has a nice mini PE cabin of 2 rows in front of doors 2L and 2R.
If an older 4 class B744 is used, part of the business cabin might be used as PE - YMMV.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Unless I got my web surfing terribly wrong my exploration for a Y+ ticket SIN-SYD 01 Aug SYD-SIN 14 Nov has QF at more than twice BA's price.

Yes QF's seat and service is probably nicer. That much nicer? YMMV

Closer to the date pricing will likely be different.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 30, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. Clearly, QF is the way to go.

Originally Posted by igel
QF Premium Economy seats are the same whether on the old or the refurbished B744.
Interesting. So is it just the IFE that has been upgraded to A380 standards?

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Unless I got my web surfing terribly wrong my exploration for a Y+ ticket SIN-SYD 01 Aug SYD-SIN 14 Nov has QF at more than twice BA's price
You're right. There is a big price difference on their respective websites. However, on Expedia, the QF option is actually a little cheaper than BA, on my travel dates at least (mid-July to late-September)

My only concern now is QF downgauging the aircraft to an A330-300, which has no premium economy product. In the event this were to happen, would we be upgraded to J, downgraded to Y or be rebooked on BA Y+?
Old May 30, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Personally I would take the SQ early morning departure in Y over the overnight QF or BA Y+ flight. The flight is not long enough to get any rest and the early morning arrival is a killer.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonce
Personally I would take the SQ early morning departure in Y over the overnight QF or BA Y+ flight. The flight is not long enough to get any rest and the early morning arrival is a killer.
I would much prefer a morning flight, but Economy on SQ is going for $1540 a piece, which is daylight robbery! To put this in perspective, my QF Premium Economy flight is $1150.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by ek&sq
Thank you all for your responses. Clearly, QF is the way to go.

Interesting. So is it just the IFE that has been upgraded to A380 standards?

You're right. There is a big price difference on their respective websites. However, on Expedia, the QF option is actually a little cheaper than BA, on my travel dates at least (mid-July to late-September)

My only concern now is QF downgauging the aircraft to an A330-300, which has no premium economy product. In the event this were to happen, would we be upgraded to J, downgraded to Y or be rebooked on BA Y+?
I guess on upgraded aircraft, the IFE will be the upgraded version. At least the flight maps look different so it must be the upgraded version. But whichever version, the PE IFE screens are the same size with the same resolution. But I prefer the older 3-class B744 for the mini PE cabin.

I have had aircraft swops on me before resulting in no PE equipment. So far I have not been switched over to BA even in the days of the QF-BA joint venture. QF either upgraded me to business for free (but then I have status) or swopped me over to another flight eg SIN-SYD swop to SIN-MEL in PE, then MEL-SYD. They called me to discuss alternatives including downgrading to Y with $ compensation but that is a big no-no for me!

Anyway I currently have a swop for a PE SIN-SYD flight in July. QF re-routed me SIN-BNE on QF 51, then BNE-SYD on QF 8, both in PE since QF 8 also has PE. Don't mind that - more status credits and status bonuses. My SIN-SYD-ADL-SIN-SYD is now SIN-BNE-SYD-ADL-SYD-SIN.

To another poster suggesting taking SQ daylight flight - well I have boycotted SQ since 2001 with no regrets!
Old May 30, 2013, 10:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I like to look out the window. I'd choose my aircraft based on seating availability that gave me a clear view. The 777 engine steals the view and manages to be an efficient sun reflector . Of course, the wing on both aircraft is a bit of an issue too.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: Qantas Gold
Until they change the seating, I will never fly BA premium economy again - I put my neck out on a flight LHR to JFK. The BA seats have these dreadful "head rest" cushions and they can't be removed, or manipulated into a different position. The cushion pushed my head forward in a very uncomfortable way and by the time I got to JFK I needed PT to be able to turn my head. On the way back to HTR I paid extra to upgrade to business class.

The qantas seat is very comfortable - although I ironically I have never flown in it long distance because all my upgrade requests have come through, so my only experience of it was on a flight from sydney to melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.