Wiki Posts
Search

Help with NZ flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Traval
Flying in to Wellington is not a big issue.
Count me in the camp that says that if you're really starting in Blenheim, you may well be better off flying to WLG than CHC, particularly if you do the very quick flight over to BHE from WLG. However, this will depend in part on where you're thinking of going and the car rental requirements.

If collecting Avios is important for you, then don't forget that your husband (if he's the only BA Silver between you) will collect a great deal more Avios flying on BA flight numbers than on QF flight numbers because of the different status bonus awarded by BA on BA-coded flights and QF-coded flights.

Also, I wouldn't let the following should sway you too much, because the LHR-DXB sector is, if anything, even for sleep than the SIN-SYD sector as LHR-DXB is an even shorter flight. The QF flights from LHR to DXB are currently scheduled to depart at 2130 and 2230, so your body will be wanting sleep during the first sector - so there's a good argument for making the first sector the long one so that you can get some decent sleep when your body is wanting to sleep. If you fly LHR-DXB leaving at that time, you might get 2-3 hours sleep on the first sector and then be woken up when your body thinks it's 3 am - and this is very painful.
Originally Posted by og
Flying QF/EK LHR-DXB-SYD in Biz should be a far better way of getting sleep than BA's LHR-SIN-SYD option. The short SIN-SYD flight is dreadful for sleep as the most you can hope to get is 3 hrs given cabin service disruptions at each end of the flight.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Another easy airline option is SQ LHR-SIN-CHC. Easy connection at SIN and SIN-CHC is long enough to get a decent sleep.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now when I put in a date at the end of October it is coming up 08.45 QF 45 sydney to Christchurch.Also the return looks better---leave Christchurch 14.45 arrive Sydney 14.50 and now QF1 is leaving at 17.05.This would be great if I can believe it.

Flying in to Wellington is not a big issue.We could overnight there and pick up our car which may go free with Apex on the ferry.
Those times will be for daylight saving in Aust - NZ. Probably determined by the landing slot - time at LHR. Note that NZ & Aust do not change to daylight saving at the same day. Best to check Dec times.

A lot of car rental company's do not allow cars to be taken on the ferry. Most (all?) have depots at both terminals. The day ferry trip is good as posted above.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

A lot of car rental company's do not allow cars to be taken on the ferry. Most (all?) have depots at both terminals. The day ferry trip is good as posted above.
I agree , I think all car hire bookings prohibit that taking of the car on the ferry. Hertz say " It is not permitted to take your Hertz car on the ferry."
http://www.hertz.co.nz/rentacar/prod...0New%20Zealand

Note also you will need to book the ferry in advance as this is peak travelling time and is normally fully booked.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Those times will be for daylight saving in Aust - NZ. Probably determined by the landing slot - time at LHR. Note that NZ & Aust do not change to daylight saving at the same day. Best to check Dec times.
The difference in start and end dates for daylight savings between Australia & NZ is only a matter of a few weeks, i.e. only impacts during transition in spring and autumn with no impact summer and winter. That is, unless travelling via parts of Australia that do not have daylight saving (e.g. BNE).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

---leave Christchurch 14.45 arrive Sydney 14.50 ..
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The difference in start and end dates for daylight savings between Australia & NZ is only a matter of a few weeks, i.e. only impacts during transition in spring and autumn with no impact summer and winter.
Agreed. That's why looking Oct may be in the transition zone. Looking at the 16 Jan 2012 QF timetable QF046 CHC 14:30 SYD 15:55:- arrives 1:25 after it departs plus 2:00 hr time difference = 3:25 flight time. Been on that flight numerous times, but not since its been a B737. QF046 is a valid connection to QF001.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The difference in start and end dates for daylight savings between Australia & NZ is only a matter of a few weeks, i.e. only impacts during transition in spring and autumn with no impact summer and winter. That is, unless travelling via parts of Australia that do not have daylight saving (e.g. BNE).
FWIW, given the OP's travel date of "end of 2013" and the availability now of some northern winter 2013/4 schedules (with that season starting on Sunday 27 October 2013):-
  • SYD/MEL: daylight saving starts on Sunday 6 October 2013 at 0200
  • CHC/WLG: daylight saving starts on Sunday 29 September 2013 at 0200
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:43 pm

Wellington Blenheim

I live in Wellington and have done both the flight to blenheim as well as the ferry. The flight is on a tiny plane and only flies if the weather is ok. It is like being on a sightseeing flight and is well worth while. I would arrange transport at the other end before you go - maybe the car rental company would pick you up. I would fly one way and ferry the other way. Be aware that if we get one of our very infrequent fogs or the wind is high that the plane won't go while the ferry probably will. The weather has to be really really bad for the ferry to not go.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
rental cars do not cross over on the interislander - you leave one on the mainland and pick up another on the off shore islands when you get to Picton
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by adampenrith
rental cars do not cross over on the interislander - you leave one on the mainland and pick up another on the off shore islands when you get to Picton
You can but it needs to be pre-arranged, pay a very high fee and you also have to pay the additional cost for the ferry.
It may be too much of a hassle but depending on baggage it culd be worth it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
You can but it needs to be pre-arranged, pay a very high fee and you also have to pay the additional cost for the ferry.
It may be too much of a hassle but depending on baggage it culd be worth it.
Last year we rented a car with Apex for 28 days from CHC-AKL. For hires longer than 10 days, a one-way ferry ticket is included free of charge for the car - you just pay the foot passenger price for the driver/passengers, which you arrange with Apex. Was certainly an easy option for us - we were limited to one particular sailing but I think there are more choices these days.

Agree with catsongea - the flight from Wellington to Picton is great although a bit weather-dependent! If too windy to take-off/land at Picton, they sometimes use Blenheim and take passengers to/from Picton by minibus.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[OT]
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Eregg:
The mainland is Te Wai Pounamu (South island) :-:.
Here is the definitive internet source as proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Island

And more from that pig island dairy company www.fonterrafoodservices.com/brand.php?id=3 History:- New Zealand icon brand Mainland was established in Dunedin in 1955 -- its first product a 10 pound can of natural cheese.

Am sure my fellow mainlander Kiwi Flyer will back that up ^
[/OT]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 12, 2012 at 2:40 am
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, Our actual travel dates are not in the system yet as we are hoping to travel out around 12th/13th December and return around 8th January 2014.
This will be our third visit and we are concentrating mainly on the lower half of south island apart from Blenheim for the wine and Kaikoura for whale watch. We had to cut short our last visit.We were in Wanaka on NY's eve last December when we heard that my husband's father had died suddenly in UK and we had to return.Hence we have 'unfinished business' in the country.
We have used Apex for our car rental and taken the car on the ferry,last time at no cost for the vehicule.We were hoping to not have to take the ferry next time and just focus on the south but I am having to be very open to suggestions here.
Flying with Singapore would be great but we wouldn't get the Avios or tier points we are hoping for.There is a Cathay Pacific flight into Auckland but again I am not sure about the points.In theory we should get them as they are One World but I am not 100% sure about this.We could then just get a NZ flight down to Nelson and a return from Christchurch. Our itinerary is such that we really need to fly out of Christchurch but could be flexible as to where we fly in .
I can't actually book anything anyway until late January when the return flights show up so I have time to research.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by marquees
Agree with catsongea - the flight from Wellington to Picton is great although a bit weather-dependent! If too windy to take-off/land at Picton, they sometimes use Blenheim and take passengers to/from Picton by minibus.
Air NZ doesn't fly to Picton, only Blenheim. There are local airlines (Sounds Air, air2there) which fly to Picton (airport is at Koromiko, about halfway between Picton and Blenheim).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
The flights WLG to Picton are flown by small planes. Last time I flew the luggage limit was only 15kg. Excess luggage is $3 a kilo and is not guaranteed to be available. This luggage restriction may not be very helpful coming off a long haul flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.