Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with NZ flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Help with NZ flights

We are hoping to fly from London to Christchurch at the end of 2013 in business class.The flights are obviously not in any airline's system yet so I am just putting in random dates as near as possible to December.
We would prefer to fly with BA or Qantas so we can get Avios and tier points.Both airlines seem to have flights arriving at similar times in Sydney--BA at 06.05 and Qantas at 06.10.The only direct flight to Christchurch is with Qantas at 0.715.Is this connection doable?It seems very tight to me.
What happens if the London flight is delayed,are you put on a flight via Auckland? We would quite like to try the A380 though.
Seems our only other option is with Cathay Pacific but they fly in to Auckland which is not ideal.
AirNZ will no longer be flying via Hong Kong and we won't obviously get Avios.We dislike the transit in LAX.
Your thoughts please!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:21 pm

Do a booking on QF and see if they allow the connection - I think they do, I think the limit is an hour. Just make sure you have some clothes in your carry on in case your bag doesnt make it.

My understanding is that they will try to put you on a JQ flight (I think it around an hour later?) first to get you there the same day. Again, I think the bigget worry is your bag, so just prepare.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by VHOEJ
Do a booking on QF and see if they allow the connection - I think they do, I think the limit is an hour. Just make sure you have some clothes in your carry on in case your bag doesnt make it.

My understanding is that they will try to put you on a JQ flight (I think it around an hour later?) first to get you there the same day. Again, I think the bigget worry is your bag, so just prepare.
If the EK Alliance goes ahead I would think that they would try to put you on the EK flight. You would need to do a manual claim for involuntary disruption to get your BA Avios.
Oh the connection should be legal as well. Might struggle to get lounge time though.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Flying QF/EK LHR-DXB-SYD in Biz should be a far better way of getting sleep than BA's LHR-SIN-SYD option. The short SIN-SYD flight is dreadful for sleep as the most you can hope to get is 3 hrs given cabin service disruptions at each end of the flight.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qantas have just about given up on CHC. As a former QF Plat (top tier) I now use Air NZ / Virgin on my trips MEL-CHC
Qantas (also know as Air Sydney) will try to funnel you though SYD
Business class across the Tasman is limited. Restricts your options a lot

After arriving in Australia QF may be able to get you to AKL. Then domestic on Air NZ or Jetstar.
Jetstar New Zealand (Qantas owned) have poor on time performance. Do not rely on them on the return

Another option is LHR-MEL (QF), MEL-WLG (QF leaves about 09:30) and WLG-CHC on Air NZ

Or just use Air NZ / Virgin across the Tasman

But as above Emirates would be the best in business:- LHR-DXB-SYD-CHC.
But if you get BA Avios on a QF codeshare operated by EK is another question (not yet answered).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
As award flights are always difficult in December (especially in J) you could try LHR-DFW-BNE-AKL-CHC. However if you don't like LAX then DFW may not be your cup of tea either.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: QF, MH
This year during the summer QF45 departs at 8:30am. When the clocks are put back in it changes 7:15am. As your planned departure date is during daylight savings time next year I would expect it would depart at 8:30am, although the schedules have not been released that far out. So a 8:30am departure would give you close to 2 hours to make the connection.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traval
...We would prefer to fly with BA or Qantas so we can get Avios and tier points....
Originally Posted by grussellt
As award flights are always difficult in December (especially in J) ...
To me it reads as if Traval is going to pay for the flights
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Qantas (also know as Air Sydney) will try to funnel you though SYD.
That works well for some
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your input.Yes we are coughing up the cash for these flights as we did on our two AirNZ Business Premier flights in the past few years.As we gained a fair few BMI miles from these,we converted them to Avios when they matched our silver status as well.
I don't fly much,just for holidays,but my husband flies pretty regularly on BA up to Manchester and of course does appreciate the lounge especially early morning.He is hoping to fly on a carrier which would give him tier points so he can retain his silver card.
However,at the end of the day,I don't want my luggage to go awol by having too many connections,I don't want to fly Jetstar and we would wish to have lounge access in Christchurch for our return.Actually,we are starting our tour this time in Blenheim but I know we won't get flights there without going through Auckland.Christchurch will do,as we can pick up our car and drive up.
I had thought about Cathay Pacific but I am not sure about the Avios and tier points plus they fly into Auckland so we have then to pay for Air NZ to south island and back.
If it is true about the daylight saving timings then the two hour connection would seem good.We are semi flexible as to dates but probably between 11-13 December.
I guess we could always stay the night in Sydney to catch the QF45 next day but I guess it will be $$$ for business flights on separate ticket.I don't suppose they allow stopovers.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traval
Actually,we are starting our tour this time in Blenheim but I know we won't get flights there without going through Auckland. Christchurch will do,as we can pick up our car and drive up
For a Blenheim start Wellington is a viable option. QF A380 to Melb then a QF B737-800 with bus class to WLG. WLG is small:- thru immigration very quickly. Fly from WLG or take the scenic route by the ferry Or fly to Nelson from WLG.

Agree better to avoid Jetstar

The lounge in CHC is not a Qantas lounge, but a 3rd party lounge used but QF Club, QF Plat & QF business class and also by Emirates. Is very basic and small. Not worth spending any extra $$ just to get access for 30-60 minutes.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 10, 2012 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:02 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks, I'll take a look at that option.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you have an open jaw ticket ?
LHR-MEL-WLG and CHC-SYD-LHR
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Fly to WLG.
You can take the ferry, make sure it is a day voyage.
You can fly to BHE via NZ, Air to There or even Capital Air, it is only 80km!
You can fly fly to Picton, where the ferries go as well on Sounds Air or Capital Air.
Note NZ is a Beech 1900D while the others are single engine very small aircraft.
Flying into Picton is one of the most scenic flights in NZ.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Now when I put in a date at the end of October it is coming up 08.45 QF 45 sydney to Christchurch.Also the return looks better---leave Christchurch 14.45 arrive Sydney 14.50 and now QF1 is leaving at 17.05.This would be great if I can believe it.
Flying in to Wellington is not a big issue.We could overnight there and pick up our car which may go free with Apex on the ferry.
I'll hold out for first option though and keep checking timetables.

Thanks for all your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.