Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Akarana Lounge (AKL Domestic) closing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton

Never used it but it looks like the Akarana Lounge, the JQ lounge at AKL domestic is closing down after two years. http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/what-we...akarana-lounge

The Ākarana Lounge will be closing on the 15th June 2012. Customers may still purchase access to the Lounge for any flight departing up to and including the 15th June 2012.

If you have already purchased access to the Lounge for a flight departing from the 16th June 2012, Jetstar will contact you to arrange a refund of the entry price. Jetstar apologises for any inconvenience caused.

With the closure of the Lounge, Jetstar customers can look forward to a larger, re-invigorated departure gate that will provide greater standards of comfort.
Although in a wonderful example of how not to run a website, the old page is still available via links named ... http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/what-we...ana-lounge-old
Old May 28, 2012, 4:37 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jetstar
With the closure of the Lounge, Jetstar customers can look forward to a larger, re-invigorated departure gate that will provide greater standards of comfort.
They must be joking.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: QF SG, SPG Gold, BA Blue, VS Red
Fabulous. Another way to make a 2 hour delay all the more miserable.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I assume that too few Jetstar passengers were prepared to pay for lounge access and so the space is going to be used to extend the general waiting area for all
Old May 28, 2012, 6:07 am

It seems the QF Group is giving up on the NZ corporate market. AKL-LAX axed and now this in AKL. At a time when any decent airline would be mopping up the NZ market after the crappy Airpoints changes.

A sign of the times in Mascot, I guess.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
It seems the QF Group is giving up on the NZ corporate market. AKL-LAX axed and now this in AKL. At a time when any decent airline would be mopping up the NZ market after the crappy Airpoints changes.

A sign of the times in Mascot, I guess.
I think it is simply a sign of the passengers. If people were paying for the product and it was making decent margin, I doubt that they would be removing it
Old May 28, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
They must be joking.
Another jetstar bonus / "enhancement"?

DJ / NZ ?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I assume that too few Jetstar passengers were prepared to pay for lounge access and so the space is going to be used to extend the general waiting area for all
With the lack of (assumed) revenue / people paying from the lounge, maybe they will introduce "priority waiting area" as an incentive to make more $$.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think it is simply a sign of the passengers. If people were paying for the product and it was making decent margin, I doubt that they would be removing it
Another reason to dump JQ
On the weekends it was pretty dead.
However on the weekday peak flights it was busy at least 40-60 depending upon which bank of flights you were waiting for.
It was a decent price, they also had revenue from food and beverage sales to people outside the lounge.
Oh WP and CL were allowed 2 guests into the lounge.
IIRC the WLG Corporate Box (the old QP) has also closed so there are a serious lack of lounges in NZ with airside services lacking, except the new CHC domestic terminal.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ Koru
But will it really be Jetstar that gets the floor space in the longer term? a very minor upgrade would link the two airside area & the current lounge location would be perfect for that extra air bridge NZ needs
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: QP WP, DJ Platinum
Damn it was cheap. $10 kiwi for an open bar, sweet as bro. Surprised it didn't work
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by N860CR
Damn it was cheap. $10 kiwi for an open bar, sweet as bro. Surprised it didn't work
Maybe that's why it didn't work!

Dave
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I just remembered that NZ is now the holder of the sole preferred domestic airline for "Whole of Government" travel.
This will impact JQ business travel, judging by the number of suits I have seen on JQ flights to and from WLG.
I guess this was one of the reasons they closed, and also AIAL desire to integrate both sides of the domestic terminal as part of the $26m patch up.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I just remembered that NZ is now the holder of the sole preferred domestic airline for "Whole of Government" travel.
This will impact JQ business travel, judging by the number of suits I have seen on JQ flights to and from WLG.
I guess this was one of the reasons they closed, and also AIAL desire to integrate both sides of the domestic terminal as part of the $26m patch up.
Hmmmm, 'we' used to have to take the 'best fare of the day' irrespective of airline. This caused some with self-fund KORU or QC memberships to worry about the selected carrier. However, delays on JQ have caused some issues in the past......and maybe we too are with NZ. Maybe BFOTD was in DJ/QF era. I forget how much has changed over the past 10 years!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.