FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Akarana Lounge (AKL Domestic) closing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1350588-akarana-lounge-akl-domestic-closing.html)

reubee May 28, 2012 4:08 am

Akarana Lounge (AKL Domestic) closing

Never used it but it looks like the Akarana Lounge, the JQ lounge at AKL domestic is closing down after two years. http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/what-we...akarana-lounge

The Ākarana Lounge will be closing on the 15th June 2012. Customers may still purchase access to the Lounge for any flight departing up to and including the 15th June 2012.

If you have already purchased access to the Lounge for a flight departing from the 16th June 2012, Jetstar will contact you to arrange a refund of the entry price. Jetstar apologises for any inconvenience caused.

With the closure of the Lounge, Jetstar customers can look forward to a larger, re-invigorated departure gate that will provide greater standards of comfort.
Although in a wonderful example of how not to run a website, the old page is still available via links named ... http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/what-we...ana-lounge-old

DownUnderFlyer May 28, 2012 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Jetstar (Post 18652896)
With the closure of the Lounge, Jetstar customers can look forward to a larger, re-invigorated departure gate that will provide greater standards of comfort.

They must be joking.

SJohnC May 28, 2012 5:32 am

Fabulous. Another way to make a 2 hour delay all the more miserable.

Dave Noble May 28, 2012 6:04 am

I assume that too few Jetstar passengers were prepared to pay for lounge access and so the space is going to be used to extend the general waiting area for all

Platinum A332 May 28, 2012 6:07 am

It seems the QF Group is giving up on the NZ corporate market. AKL-LAX axed and now this in AKL. At a time when any decent airline would be mopping up the NZ market after the crappy Airpoints changes.

A sign of the times in Mascot, I guess.

Dave Noble May 28, 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332 (Post 18653118)
It seems the QF Group is giving up on the NZ corporate market. AKL-LAX axed and now this in AKL. At a time when any decent airline would be mopping up the NZ market after the crappy Airpoints changes.

A sign of the times in Mascot, I guess.

I think it is simply a sign of the passengers. If people were paying for the product and it was making decent margin, I doubt that they would be removing it

david870mdg May 28, 2012 7:28 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 18652937)
They must be joking.

Another jetstar bonus / "enhancement"?

DJ / NZ ?

david870mdg May 28, 2012 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18653109)
I assume that too few Jetstar passengers were prepared to pay for lounge access and so the space is going to be used to extend the general waiting area for all

With the lack of (assumed) revenue / people paying from the lounge, maybe they will introduce "priority waiting area" as an incentive to make more $$.

Blackcloud May 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18653123)
I think it is simply a sign of the passengers. If people were paying for the product and it was making decent margin, I doubt that they would be removing it

Another reason to dump JQ:td:
On the weekends it was pretty dead.
However on the weekday peak flights it was busy at least 40-60 depending upon which bank of flights you were waiting for.
It was a decent price, they also had revenue from food and beverage sales to people outside the lounge.
Oh WP and CL were allowed 2 guests into the lounge.
IIRC the WLG Corporate Box (the old QP) has also closed so there are a serious lack of lounges in NZ with airside services lacking, except the new CHC domestic terminal.

cavemanzk Jun 1, 2012 2:39 am

But will it really be Jetstar that gets the floor space in the longer term? a very minor upgrade would link the two airside area & the current lounge location would be perfect for that extra air bridge NZ needs

N860CR Jun 11, 2012 6:09 am

Damn it was cheap. $10 kiwi for an open bar, sweet as bro. Surprised it didn't work :p

thadocta Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am

Originally Posted by N860CR (Post 18735111)
Damn it was cheap. $10 kiwi for an open bar, sweet as bro. Surprised it didn't work :p

Maybe that's why it didn't work!

Dave

Blackcloud Jun 11, 2012 4:04 pm

I just remembered that NZ is now the holder of the sole preferred domestic airline for "Whole of Government" travel.
This will impact JQ business travel, judging by the number of suits I have seen on JQ flights to and from WLG.
I guess this was one of the reasons they closed, and also AIAL desire to integrate both sides of the domestic terminal as part of the $26m patch up.

Thai-Kiwi Jul 15, 2012 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 18738745)
I just remembered that NZ is now the holder of the sole preferred domestic airline for "Whole of Government" travel.
This will impact JQ business travel, judging by the number of suits I have seen on JQ flights to and from WLG.
I guess this was one of the reasons they closed, and also AIAL desire to integrate both sides of the domestic terminal as part of the $26m patch up.

Hmmmm, 'we' used to have to take the 'best fare of the day' irrespective of airline. This caused some with self-fund KORU or QC memberships to worry about the selected carrier. However, delays on JQ have caused some issues in the past......and maybe we too are with NZ. Maybe BFOTD was in DJ/QF era. I forget how much has changed over the past 10 years!!