Wiki Posts
Search

Food offering in F & J the same?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
Food offering in F & J the same?!

I flew SIN-LHR a few days ago in F, and swiped a menu from the J cabin as well. I was surprised to see that they were almost identical. The main courses were the same, as were the desserts. Is this normal practice on QF or a short term thing? Seemed odd to me!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
no... been around for some time... I first noticed it in june... 2 family members flew same route ex Australia to hkg in June of this year...

first class had the canaps and entrees (this was a supper service so no entree in business) but the main courses were the same... one of the business class main courses was listed as a 'light meal' in the First menu.

first class had an additional couple of light meals including the steak sandwich.

one difference was that my menu extolled the virtues of our free range, hand fed, vegetarian chickens... described on the menu as 'barossa valley chicken with preserved lemon' whereas by the time the poor hens had made it back to the business class cabin they were simply listed as plain old 'chicken with preserved lemon'.

I did wonder, briefly, whether they had separate birds for the different classes... (and something about pecking orders )

desserts were the same in both classes... although while the cheeses were merely hand selected by the calendar company in business class, they had risen to the exulted rank of being hand selected by Will stud... maitre fromager (no less) of the calendar cheese company in First.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Nov 5, 2011 at 8:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:40 am

I have a habit of requesting menus from all the cabin classes while traveling. You'll be surprised to see some of the main courses in First appearing in PE as well.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Most airlines have been doing this for years (sharing meal components between classes). AA has had heated components of J/F meals the same for 15+ years now, for example -- so they can be heated together in the same oven. Originally the portion size and garnish varied, but now they are often the same. Even SQ does this for some components (and not just salt and pepper). QF is a bit more honest by describing the same dishes the same way on the various menus but really the practice is not any more prevalent at QF than other airlines, from my experience.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
On another note, what's with Qantas chicken domestically? I just flew five sectors in Business Class and it was an odd creation of white and dark meat seemingly melded together with the skin on it. On every segment. Seemed really artificial, and the salad portions are served in those high bowls making it almost impossible to cut anything with a knife...very poorly designed in my opinion.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
On another note, what's with Qantas chicken domestically? I just flew five sectors in Business Class and it was an odd creation of white and dark meat seemingly melded together with the skin on it. On every segment. Seemed really artificial, and the salad portions are served in those high bowls making it almost impossible to cut anything with a knife...very poorly designed in my opinion.
hehe... much of this could equally apply to domestic check-in as well as chick-en
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Reminds me of a classic statement by the late Sir Reg Ansett when he was upset with the flight attendants. Something about "old boilers". Of course we have moved on from that rather stupid attitude.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: their are many of them
This is no surprise ..... the same meal choices in different cabins is one of the worst best kept secrets of the airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.