Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Can I check-in online without printing boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Hopefully a very quick question - is it possible to check-in online for QF domestic flights without printing the boarding pass at the time, and then collect it at the airport?

BA and AA allow this, but the Qantas website seems to suggest it is not possible.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95_8GB/30.0.018; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

they would like you to, but i dont print mine 99% of the time.

I just use the kiosk when i get to the airport.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
I get mine from the Qantas Club person as I usually try to get a exit row or first row of Y seat. Never had a drama.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:55 pm

Yeah it's ok - either the kiosk will reprint, or the staff can reprint.

Might be wise warning check-in staff that you've already been checked in though - otherwise confusion occurs when they see you're already checked in.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas have one of the more passenger friendly check-in sysytems.

On one occasion I OLCI'd the day before and selected a reasonable seat, not my preferred, but OK.

The next day, upon arrival at the airport, I was able to select a better seat from a Quickcheck machine.

Later on, around hours before the flight I checked again using lounge Wifi and found one of my preferred seats was available so I OLCI's again, selecting that seat.

I then went to the service desk, told them what I'd done and they printed a new BP for me with the latest seat. ^
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Later on, around hours before the flight I checked again using lounge Wifi and found one of my preferred seats was available so I OLCI's again, selecting that seat.
Doesn't OLCI close 1 hour before the departure time?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by babbyf
Doesn't OLCI close 1 hour before the departure time?
Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't. I did have the check-in web page window open and refreshed every 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 21, 2009 at 6:48 pm
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
And as alluded to by serfty, one advantage of the QF system is that, unlike BA, once you print your boarding pass you retain the ability to change your seat.

Dave
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Hopefully JQ/QF get a mobile app soon like NZ's M-PASS. It allows you to download your boarding passes as soon as you book them.

I dont get why JQ still require you to OLCI, when with NZ's domestic flight you are checking in the second your payment is confirmed. Instead of getting a boarding pass with a stub, at the gate when you scan your barcode you get a gate pass.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Hopefully JQ/QF get a mobile app soon like NZ's M-PASS...
That NZ system looks pretty good to me. I can't really see QF going for that since they have (recently) got the gate BP bar code readers - but then again, someone else has done it so QF may as well follow.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by og
That NZ system looks pretty good to me. I can't really see QF going for that since they have (recently) got the gate BP bar code readers - but then again, someone else has done it so QF may as well follow.
LOL a bit of a case of "Monkey See Monkey do" well JQ is starting to getting called Monkeys in NZ.

Welling Jetconnect is getting AVOID on its new 738, only 2 years after NZ announced AVOD for there 320. So in 2years time you can look froward to getting M-Pass in Aussie. Im guessing they could achieve it by adding receipt printers & some new software for the scanners.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og
Do not forget the RFID chip that I have in my wallet. Just walk to the KC and get in. Go to the gate and out pops a ticket with seat number. Or go to kiosk hold the chip to it and state if I have bags, print out the tag on the bag then drop on conveyor belt. Definitely better than QF OLCI system.
I think NZ is trying to license the system^
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Do not forget the RFID chip that I have in my wallet. Just walk to the KC and get in. Go to the gate and out pops a ticket with seat number. Or go to kiosk hold the chip to it and state if I have bags, print out the tag on the bag then drop on conveyor belt. Definitely better than QF OLCI system.
I think NZ is trying to license the system^
I love it no human contact what so ever, apart from the Xray Check point. Its great no more dealing with lines at 6am in the morning. It still mazes me the amount of people that que up at AKL at the help desk. Surely people aren't connecting to international flights via a domestic flight ex AKL.

For anyone that's never been though AirNZ ques at AKL will know that they dont have a very good record for processing passengers fast. At International they like to check-in all flights at the same counters. Atleast the sign that tell's you what counter is ready for you helps now.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Leumas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95_8GB/30.0.018; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

they would like you to, but i dont print mine 99% of the time.

I just use the kiosk when i get to the airport.

I learned through experience to be careful here - I recently tried to use the kiosk to print a MEL-SYD BP I had already OLCId, but had arrived late at the airport, and flight was already on final call. The Kiosk went through the process but then displayed "your flight is closed for check in. You have been placed on the next available flight, please note catering is not assured on this flight". I went quickly to the gate and found indeed I had been offloaded (even though flight had not 'technically' closed and was still displaying final call). No real drama as they put me back on (sadly in 19B rather than 4C on a 738) but if it had been full, or my seat had been given to a standby pax, I would have been out of luck.

So its OK to use the Kiosk to (re)print the BP, but don't try it very close to the flightdeparture. By the way I've asked at the gate to print the BP even up to 'flight closed' before, and this has been fine- so it only appears to be a risk with the kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.