Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas vs V Australia business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, AS
Thank you all for the input!

To answer a few questions/comments, yes, I did heavily consider both CX and AZ because I definitely agree their J product is superior to both QF and VA. The pricing was pretty close, but they added an additional stopover and, more importantly, I had to consider where the elite-qualifying miles would be going. I don't think I'll be doing too much Star Alliance flying in the next year, so AZ didn't seem like the smartest option. If I were to fly QF, I could get AA codeshare flights and do a $200 Plat challenge and get instant status for next year. I'm currently only 1k away from DL Plat, and flying DL/VA would not only ensure I hit that, but also give me over 25K rollover MQMs.

Ultimately, my routing is SEA-LAX-BNE-LAX-SEA via AS and VA (DL coded both ways). I'm not thrilled with the seat config, but the flights are looking kind of empty right now so maybe I'll get lucky and have two seats to myself. I checked for the DL LAX-SYD flight, but I couldn't justify the extra few grand it priced out at and the flight times showing we're that great (my company uses a third party booking system that can be quite cumbersome). Since I'll be in paid J, I'll get the 50% MQM bonus, plus my 100% mileage bonus for being gold. I also received a targeted DL offer earlier this year (when I was FO) that gets me 75% mileage bonus on all DL flights, which I believe will be valid here. So, around 60K miles total. Yes, they are SkyPesos, but I have pretty good luck with using mine for int'l J travel!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You gladden the hearts of airline marketers world-wide. Ultimately your decision came down to FF plan, and not product quality or even convenience. Score 1 for ths FF plans, they really hook you.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by number_6
You gladden the hearts of airline marketers world-wide. Ultimately your decision came down to FF plan, and not product quality or even convenience. Score 1 for ths FF plans, they really hook you.
Indeed. It is a sorry event when FF earning is rated more important that the actual purchase being made

They hook some , some get unhooked and some never end up down that path
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I am surprised you didnt route SEA-LAX-SYD-BNE then so you could get the extra SYD-BNE sector and miles. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.