Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to stop baggage interline for flights on seperate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Interesting then that they tagged my bags onto a Domestic connection with QF on a separate ticket and separate PNR. It's possible.
I guess no big deal for them to tag them, for intl->dom they don't have to get the bags to QF, that's your responsibility, irrespective of ticketing or interlining arrangements.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:33 am

I suppose there's no harm in asking anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Just reporting our experience. QF was happy to interline our bags on different tickets.

QF F checkin in SYD just tagged the bags CPT via JNB (last part on BA). But they were unable to print our BP, as the flight wasn't open for checkin yet.

When we arrived in JNB, the BA checkin people told us the bags were not tagged properly, so they printed new tags.
Thanks for the report.

As a follow-up to this: I am assuming that you had to collect your bags to clear customs in JNB anyway? If so, did you then have to deliver them to BA domestic check-in, or was there a bag drop at the INT terminal?

We have a similar experience coming up next month, but different in this curious way: Initial check-in is on a Swiss business class ticket, but first sector is MEL-PER on QF481, connecting with PER-JNB on SA281. We then have a separate BA Y class ticket for JNB-CPT (4 hrs later). So, even though on separate PNRs and tickets, through different alliances, initial check in will be with QF and the separate ticket is on BA.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

tb
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:25 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by imverge
That is not correct.

AC will not interline bags unless it's all on one ticket. The exception is if it's on a STAR ALLIANCE airline with a valid connection.
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Interesting then that they tagged my bags onto a Domestic connection with QF on a separate ticket and separate PNR. It's possible.
As number_6 had mentioned above, about 2 years ago, AC had instituted a policy of not checking baggage through to non-*A carriers on separate tickets. AC subsequently reversed that decision, so it no longer applies.

As such, AC can (and will) check the baggage through to the carriers it has Interline Agreements with, including QF:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.4.0/Diamond - Reference: Interline Agreements [IET]: AC]
Code:
ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-AC                      
 INTERLINE CARRIER CODES                                        
   AA - AF - AI - AM - AP - AS - AV - AZ - A3 - BA              
   BD - BL - BR - BW - CA - CI - CO - CX - CZ - DL              
   EK - ET - FI - GF - G3 - HA - IB - IR - IY - JJ              
   JK - JL - JM - JO - JP - JQ - JV - KA - KE - KF              
   KL - KQ - KU - KX - LA - LH - LI - LO - LP - LR              
   LX - MA - ME - MH - MK - MS - NH - NW - NZ - OK              
   OS - OU - OZ - PR - PZ - QF - QK - QR - RJ - SA              
   SK - SN - SQ - SU - SV - TA - TG - TK - TN - TP              
   UA - UL - US - VF - VN - VS - WF - XL - YN - 3K              
   4M - 5T - 7F - 9M - 9W
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Old thread, but I just wanted to check if (a) this is still the current policy, and (b) whether anybody's had any luck getting a bag checked through anyway? I'm on an award flight in business from Perth to Melbourne, connecting to United on a separate PNR. It's not the end of the world if I have to pick my bags up and hang around for a couple of hours until United checkin opens, but it'd be nice to avoid it if possible.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mjg59
Old thread, but I just wanted to check if (a) this is still the current policy, and (b) whether anybody's had any luck getting a bag checked through anyway? I'm on an award flight in business from Perth to Melbourne, connecting to United on a separate PNR. It's not the end of the world if I have to pick my bags up and hang around for a couple of hours until United checkin opens, but it'd be nice to avoid it if possible.
a) Yes, still policy.

b) Not me. I had some luck in the months after they introduced it, but I've failed at every attempt since. Like you, I'm always connecting to UA.

On an unrelated question, why go via Melbourne? PER-SYD-US seems easier than PER-MEL-SYD-US
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
a) Yes, still policy.

b) Not me. I had some luck in the months after they introduced it, but I've failed at every attempt since. Like you, I'm always connecting to UA.

On an unrelated question, why go via Melbourne? PER-SYD-US seems easier than PER-MEL-SYD-US
(b) Boo. Oh well, Nando's it is.

I'm spending a weekend in Melbourne on the outbound trip, and it was easier to retrace my steps than deal with booking an open jaw. I've also spent far too much time in the NZ lounge in Sydney recently, so Melbourne offers some variety.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mjg59
I'm spending a weekend in Melbourne on the outbound trip, and it was easier to retrace my steps than deal with booking an open jaw. I've also spent far too much time in the NZ lounge in Sydney recently, so Melbourne offers some variety.
The good news is that the transfer Domestic QF to International UA is much easier at MEL than at SYD - no need to carry your own bags on either a public bus/train or a taxi like in SYD.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P

This is the most anti customer practice that I've ever come across & is the single reason that I no longer fly Qantas. As I posted back in July 2011:

"I’m flying MEL-SYD (QF) (full fare biz return $1,200) and then first class SYD-BKK (TG). I’ve been QFF top tier since 1987 & just recently the new TG Platinum. I’m astounded that I’m expected to collect my bags in SYD & lug them personally onto the QF bus between the domestic & international terminals. QF's SYD interlining policy will terminate my 24 year relationship with them. QF has lost the plot."
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by gaia
"Im flying MEL-SYD (QF) (full fare biz return $1,200) and then first class SYD-BKK (TG). Ive been QFF top tier since 1987 & just recently the new TG Platinum. Im astounded that Im expected to collect my bags in SYD & lug them personally onto the QF bus between the domestic & international terminals. QF's SYD interlining policy will terminate my 24 year relationship with them. QF has lost the plot."
For the good of anyone reading this thread who isn't aware of how the QF bus works, keep in mind that what you've described involves taking your bags through the security check-point in SYD in order to get on the bus, which leaves air-side.

Australia does allow liquids for domestic flights, so you can do this even if you have liquids, but you can't do it if you've got anything sharp, and/or you've got too much luggage to man-handle through the security checkpoint, or what will not fit in the carry-on X-ray machine. I've been through with a 26" bag without any trouble - but I wouldn't want to too anything too much bigger.

The alternative is to catch the public train, public bus, or taxi - all of which you'll need to pay for yourself.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gaia
This is the most anti customer practice that I've ever come across & is the single reason that I no longer fly Qantas. As I posted back in July 2011:

"Im flying MEL-SYD (QF) (full fare biz return $1,200) and then first class SYD-BKK (TG). Ive been QFF top tier since 1987 & just recently the new TG Platinum. Im astounded that Im expected to collect my bags in SYD & lug them personally onto the QF bus between the domestic & international terminals. QF's SYD interlining policy will terminate my 24 year relationship with them. QF has lost the plot."
Why should QF take responsibility for the delivery of bags to Bangkok when QF is not receiving any revenue for it. Book as a through ticket and it will be interlined. If you choose to make 2 separate bookings, then quite reasonable to be treated as such
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Can I check if it would be possible to interline SQ SIN - MEL connecting to QF domestic flight (and vice-versa) on separate tickets?

On Expertflyer I see QF listed on SQ's interline agreement list, however this thread makes me wonder if it is still possible.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by lsed
Can I check if it would be possible to interline SQ SIN - MEL connecting to QF domestic flight (and vice-versa) on separate tickets?

On Expertflyer I see QF listed on SQ's interline agreement list, however this thread makes me wonder if it is still possible.

Thanks for the help!
I don't believe it's an issue but you'd be best off tweeting QF and SQ
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think that whether it's allowed in the SQ->QF direction would technically be a matter of SQ policy. But you'd have to collect and re-check at MEL anyway, so isn't this a bit academic?

In the QF->SQ direction, it'll be QF policy that applies, and I would also be interested in whether there's any update on this issue.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that whether it's allowed in the SQ->QF direction would technically be a matter of SQ policy. But you'd have to collect and re-check at MEL anyway, so isn't this a bit academic?
Personally I've found that for non-QF international arrivals, if the bags are tagged to the final destination, then Qantas won't charge baggage fees for them. (They will however remove the tags and put their own on). I don't know if this is policy or if I've just got lucky, but I've had it happen at least twice now (both times 2 bags, so 1 over the QF domestic limit)

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In the QF->SQ direction, it'll be QF policy that applies, and I would also be interested in whether there's any update on this issue.
No change to what's said earlier in the thread - they will NOT check them through unless it's on the same ticket (which it's not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.