Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Any Time Access going?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Leumas
Dear drewbles,

Thank you for your valuable feedback dated XX Oct 2010 regarding changes to our Frequent Flyer Program.

The changes we are implementing have been designed after in-depth customer research and surveys. We have listened to our many customers and decided to introduce these changes to further improve your experience when flying Qantas.

From Feburary, you can take more checked luggage. We have also introduced a world leading check-in process, allowing you to maximise your time to relax at our lounges. When you travel, the number of guests you can take into the lounge remains unchanged. As a Platinum member, you also have more award seatings available to you that is not available to other Frequent Flyer members. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions available on www.qantas.com.au.

We are enhancing our offering in flight, particularly in Business and First class. With new deliveries of the A380's in 2011, we will deliver an ever better service in the future.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to your next flight with Qantas.

Yours sincerely,

Some-guy-who-honestly-doesn't-really-give-a-sh*t
^

Now with those skills, could you please draft our letter?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
SI must say the costs saved or additional to QF is probably minimal, but the negative impressions this is generating seems far greater than the positives.
This is not about costs, this is about making you choose, and making you stick that choice.. The same way the switch to Direct Sweep made people choose QF credit cards.

I guess in domestic lounges it may be about reducing overcrowding, but I can speak from experience in international lounges at times where there have been no QF flights operating that accessing the lounge under anytime I have been one of maybe 2 or 3 people in the lounge (and I know on at least one occassion the other people talking about their 4 or 5 hour wait for their QF flight).

I guess as they are starting to introduce "Neil Perry" designed menus into the lounge (BFD) they need to cull the numbers a bit.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:09 pm

Oh I am not liking this one bit.

If there were another oneworld program where I could get OWE at approximately the same spend amount I use to get QF WP, I would probably jump ship.

Admittedly, I don't use the benefit a lot, but it has been very useful when I have used it, e.g. dropped in after arriving off a flight to have a shower, seeing friends off at the airport, etc. Perhaps, to be fair, there is probably a minuscule number of people outside of this forum (and AFF) who use this benefit. That however also supports the argument that if it didn't cost a lot, then why get rid of it.

I wish at least if they were going to take it away could they just say "travel on the same day" rather than "onward travel", i.e. still more flexible than SGs/QPs, WPs can use lounges for departures and arrivals. Or, remove any time access to the J lounge but keep it for the QP.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:11 pm

Dear drewbles,

Thank you for your valuable feedback dated XX Oct 2010 regarding changes to our Frequent Flyer Program.

The changes we are implementing have been designed after in-depth customer research and surveys. We have listened to our many customers and decided to introduce these changes to further improve your experience when flying Qantas.

From Feburary, you can take more checked luggage. We have also introduced a world leading check-in process, allowing you to maximise your time to relax at our lounges. When you travel, the number of guests you can take into the lounge remains unchanged. As a Platinum member, you also have more award seatings available to you that is not available to other Frequent Flyer members. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions available on www.qantas.com.au.

We are enhancing our offering in flight, particularly in Business and First class. With new deliveries of the A380's in 2011, we will deliver an ever better service in the future.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to your next flight with Qantas.

Yours sincerely,

Some-guy-who-honestly-doesn't-really-give-a-sh*t
wow. Have you stolen the cut-n-paste response from QF's new "Customer Service Charter" book?

That's about the size of it unfortunately. I was thinking more the letter we all send to to Alan Joyce etc. Action in numbers and all that
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by anat0l
Oh I am not liking this one bit.

If there were another oneworld program where I could get OWE at approximately the same spend amount I use to get QF WP, I would probably jump ship.
If people are serious about disliking changes they change carriers and alliances, not just jump ship to another FF programs within the same alliance, but still flying QF. That is why QF get away with it. They know people won't change, as many people are way to precious to step foot inside a Virgin Blue plane (not saying that you are, just many people I know that are).
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
QF Plat has always been about the perception of feeling valued rather than actually being cared for. Can't say any of these mods to the program make me want to open the wallet any wider

Big to no anytime lounge access
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Yes, there goes the annual FT AGM tradition.....
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
It matters little for me as QF NZ does not have any domestic lounges anymore to use this benefit.
I must say that I have used it in Australia when I had to wait for a colleague arriving on another flight.
All these changes, did they use the word "enhancement", are obviously the result of the surveys we have completed. You know, crowded lounges = removal of WP free loaders without onwards flights on QF, ow or JQ.
I use it to visit the QF international lounge when NZ lounge is slow to open early in the morning. In the brief period until I wander over to NZ lounge, I consume no resources other than space and a computer terminal. Nonetheless I do value the old benefit as it serves well on arrival (for Australia domestic) when waiting for a colleague who is flying in on a different flight.

BTW no email for me.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by mattm199
Yes, there goes the annual FT AGM tradition.....
Bring AGM Forward to Jan 2011 perhaps...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Note to self

Cancel US SC YUP & KUP run.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
If people are serious about disliking changes they change carriers and alliances, not just jump ship to another FF programs within the same alliance, but still flying QF. That is why QF get away with it. They know people won't change, as many people are way to precious to step foot inside a Virgin Blue plane (not saying that you are, just many people I know that are).
You're right. I'm not serious enough per se, but it is possible for one to like the airline but not the FFP, especially since the two are being more and more "separate" units.

FTers are very good at this.

With a bit of reality check, if I were to give up QFF for say AA, I'd get many more tangible benefits with AA but at the cost of being looked after by QF when things go wrong (since QF WP > other OWEs).
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Okay, I've had a crack at an email to Qantas. There are two versions, short and long. Please provide your feedback (what I've missed, what's wrong, what shouldn't be there etc.) with a view to those concerned sending the same (form) email, perhaps at the same time early next week. I'll continue to update the letter and re-post.

Long
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

As a Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum I write to convey my disappointment at the withdrawing of anytime Qantas Club access from 1 February 2011.

I believe this is a further dilution of benefits to the most frequent of Qantas flyers and urge you to reconsider the decision.

The email outlining the changes refers to “exceptional products and services” in the air being “complemented by the rewards and privileges you receive as a Platinum Frequent Flyer”. It goes on to say that there have been “a variety of changes in the last few years to give you a broader, more rewarding program”.

While I do not deny that there have indeed been some enhancements to the program in recent times, it is equally fair to say that the benefits to Platinum Frequent Flyers have been diluted. Indeed, there is little now to distinguish between Gold and Platinum.

* An increase in the checked baggage allowance is welcomed but it is noted that it was only recently that the weight limit was reduced and that the piece system previously applied to domestic travel.
* Greater access to award seats has previously been an unstated benefit for Platinum flyers and, furthermore, has now been extended to Gold and Silver flyers.
* Although the opportunity to extend Partner Gold status to a family member or friend has been introduced, the points required to achieve that level has increased significantly.
* Next Generation check-in is a benefit to all frequent flyers, not just Platinum.

Many Platinum flyers use the anytime access to meet with or farewell clients; to guest family (such as elderly parents) prior to flying; to freshen up after a red-eye flight; or to wait for family or friends to land.

Again, I respectfully request Qantas reinstate this much valued Platinum benefit.
Short
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

As a Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum I write to convey my disappointment at the withdrawing of anytime Qantas Club access from 1 February 2011.

I believe this is a further dilution of benefits to the most frequent of Qantas flyers and urge you to reconsider the decision.

While I do not deny that there have indeed been some enhancements to the program in recent times, it is equally fair to say that the benefits to Platinum Frequent Flyers have been diluted. Indeed, there is little now to distinguish between Gold and Platinum.

Many Platinum flyers use the anytime access to meet with or farewell clients; to guest family (such as elderly parents) prior to flying; to freshen up after a red-eye flight; or to wait for family or friends to land.

Again, I respectfully request Qantas reinstate this much valued Platinum benefit.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:12 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
My partner booked AA awards recently 2 x F awards on QF/CX which cost less than a single equivalent award booked on QF. Overall we tend to attract miles at roughly the same rate.
I'm with you there ^ - I have just spent 517.5K AA points for 3 x mixed J/F BNE/PER/HKG/LHR...CDG/LHR/HKG/MEL/BNE flights versus (what would have been) 1.05M QFF points.

Overall, I'm disappointed that QF have chosen to make these changes. I made good use of them for the 5.5 years I was Plat, now I question the reasons why I woud try and re-obtain Plat (just go for QF Lifetime Gold). Then again, maybe I'd better hurry up before they pull that status level as well
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As I mentioned in the partner gold thread, but particularly applicable here.... I believe the restriction of the anytime benefit contravenes cl 3.2 of the Ts and Cs where QF says it will give 6 months notice of a program change where the benefit is provided within the control of QF. Anytime lounge access if provided only at QF lounges and so is clearly within their control (no limitations by third parties) - so I don't think they can introduce the change until 1 March 2011 at the earliest.

Now there may be something else afoot here - like the next gen check-in now restricting the departures concourse to ticket holders only so unless you are travelling with QF youn wouldn't be able to get to the lounge anyway... however, that doesn't apply in international airports (such as HKG) where you can be airside with any BP and may want to access the lounge.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As I mentioned in the partner gold thread, but particularly applicable here.... I believe the restriction of the anytime benefit contravenes cl 3.2 of the Ts and Cs where QF says it will give 6 months notice of a program change where the benefit is provided within the control of QF. Anytime lounge access if provided only at QF lounges and so is clearly within their control (no limitations by third parties) - so I don't think they can introduce the change until 1 March 2011 at the earliest.
Section 3.2 says they will give 6 months notice of change to the T&C's, not to the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.