Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Any Time Access going?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The key difference however is that it is not possible to enter a terminal without a BP - something possible in Australia.
Don't wish to far ahead. If there is another terror attack, l will assume that BP's will form part of the entry conditions into air-side space one day. Qantas Security have also openly said that this is one area that they would like to see changed.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Taking a major step back here, as I am NOT a WP (and probably will never be) but will always be a paid up lower tier member, just looking at some comparisons between Qantas Club and The Lounge.

DJ offer better barrista arrangements (QF do, but only in selected lounges, and only in the morning)
DJ offer better catering (from my only two visists, MUCH better food, and that is all day)
DJ offer better guest arrangements (extra guets can be paid for)

QF offer priority check-in (hang, on, this has been removed)
QF offer priority seating assignements (hang on, that is AFTER OWE, OWS and OWR have already got in)
QF orffer priority baggage (that is still there, but the last number of times I have used it, it has been worthless!)

Not a lot of difference there between QF Qantas Club and DJ The Lounge.

Why am I bringing it up in this thread?

Because I think it is counterproductive for QF to be devaluing what is on offer to QF elites, when they are already devaluing what is on offer in the QP's, compared to what is on offer elsewhere.

Perhaps they are looking at aligning the QP offering with The Lounge offering - after, all what is the difference, a large number of lounges not available domextically, and a large number of lunges not available internationally?

In short, DJ might have the better lounge offering domestically, but in fewer lounges, and QF is seeing the opportunity to devalue their own product in order to match that.

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Oct 16, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whilst those travelling on business will blindly book Qantas regardless, then QF has no incentive to improve their offerings and can happily cut back .

Dave
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:48 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Whilst those travelling on business will blindly book Qantas regardless, then QF has no incentive to improve their offerings and can happily cut back .

Dave
I guess this sums the changes up quite nicely.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I for one don't agree with the recent changes, however liberal access to domestic terminals probably played the lions share in QF's decision to cut WP access.
I still find it hard to credit that this constitutes much of a burden for Qantas..I seriously doubt that any large number of people are actually doing this; and as has been noted above, how would Qantas know this even if they were? The entry checks at most domestic lounges are pretty cursory, and indeed I have often noted people being granted entry just by flashing a Gold or QC card.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whughes3
I still find it hard to credit that this constitutes much of a burden for Qantas..I seriously doubt that any large number of people are actually doing this; and as has been noted above, how would Qantas know this even if they were? The entry checks at most domestic lounges are pretty cursory, and indeed I have often noted people being granted entry just by flashing a Gold or QC card.
Perhaps they are going to tighten up on admission and properly validate that people entering are entitled access

Dave
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Perhaps they are going to tighten up on admission and properly validate that people entering are entitled access

Dave
An excellent idea, which might well in itself have more effect than denying "anytime" access to Platinums!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by whughes3
An excellent idea, which might well in itself have more effect than denying "anytime" access to Platinums!
I agree. The current arrangement is a joke and easy to circumvent. Sure scanning BP's would slow down entry somewhat, but I would gladly trade this for anytime access.

To make this workable, they could place several of the new NGCI readers at entry and make members use their cards, with a staffy looking for green/red lights on the poles. The lookup & response times of the readers would need to be improved though.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:47 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I think we should also draw attention to while QF is taking away our benefits, they can't ensure the current ones are being upheld.

3 domestic flights in the last week and not once was priority boarding offered. This morning, even leaving the lounge 10 mins early, arrive at the gate to find 50 people in the queue for QF421 including families with children etc. It's tolerable on a A330 or 767 but on a 737 it's a nightmare. Aren't they supposed to enforce this rule?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:57 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I think we should also draw attention to while QF is taking away our benefits, they can't ensure the current ones are being upheld.
I do rather like the new line at BNE security, on the left hand side. Give me that anytime over [anytime] lounge access or priority boarding thanks...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by willyroo
I do rather like the new line at BNE security, on the left hand side. Give me that anytime over [anytime] lounge access or priority boarding thanks...
Give me all three
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by willyroo
That has also been in PER for a while now (few months), and when it's slow, they only have 1 line open, so it doesn't make a difference. Same with SYD T3 last week, the J+SG+WP sign wasn't even put up.
Guess it depends on what time of the day you are departing to use this benefit.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by justin_krusty

To make this workable, they could place several of the new NGCI readers at entry and make members use their cards, with a staffy looking for green/red lights on the poles. The lookup & response times of the readers would need to be improved though.
Given the 3 times I have tried to use the NGCI poles at PER the system told me to go to the service desk, I would see this as a disadvantage!

They could just use a security coded locked door like KGI I guess.... Though printing the code on every boarding pass, and not changing the code makes entry pretty easy.

Like other non WP's this has nil impact on me now, but I can see the frustration for the frequent users of this system
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat

Dave
This may well change when DJ bring 2 class 330's online for domestic runs and again QF has competition for the J product since it appears DJ would probably offer, at least initially, a better product than QF.....
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:44 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
This may well change when DJ bring 2 class 330's online for domestic runs and again QF has competition for the J product since it appears DJ would probably offer, at least initially, a better product than QF.....
x-PER the aircraft arent the only problem, the scheduling and capacity is also fairly ordinary from a business travellers perspective.

To ADL 2 options out (07:45 & 17:10) vs QF 5 (6, 8, 9, 12, 17:00)
To SYD 4 options out (6, 7, 10, 15:00) vs QF 7 (5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13:00, 15:00) and 9 back compared to 5

I am yet to see Virgin as the best option when travelling for business, and our booking tool alsways gives both options, so in the past 5 years have only flown them the once (SYD-MEL when the difference in airfare was about $150).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.