Search

AA connection @ LAX - Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP
AA connection @ LAX - Upgrade?

Hi,

I'm on QF11 to LAX tomorrow with a connection on AA to SFO (booked on AA Number). It's in Q class which is not eligible for QF points but thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade and get F status credits for the trip. Anyone had any luck with upgrading on arrival (and changing flights) or suggestions?

FYI, the AA site the 'instant upgrade' fare for LAX-SFO is currently listed as 171AUD... not bad for 60 status credits!

Cheers
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The actual cost is ~AUD190 after adding the taxes etc.

Do you intend to simply skip the pre-booked LAX-SFO flight in Q class? Is this LAX-SFO on a different PNR to SYD-LAX and are there any other flights scheduled after this on that PNR?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP
Was planning on just upgrading the existing ticket as I have LAX-JFK-SYD on that same itinerary.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
That may not be possible - it depends upon the rules of the fare you are travelling on. Change fees can kill ya!

e.g. You can book LAX-SFO in econamy on fare for USD60 - these come with a USD150 change fee!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmAAn
Hi,

I'm on QF11 to LAX tomorrow with a connection on AA to SFO (booked on AA Number). It's in Q class which is not eligible for QF points but thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade and get F status credits for the trip. Anyone had any luck with upgrading on arrival (and changing flights) or suggestions?

FYI, the AA site the 'instant upgrade' fare for LAX-SFO is currently listed as 171AUD... not bad for 60 status credits!

Cheers
If your international PNR's fare basis is Q, it probably has a fat change fee, but sometimes buried in the fine print it might say the fee gets waived for buying up to higher fare class.

Otherwise the only AA upgrades, of a Q fare, that don't count as fee-triggering "changes" are upgrades to A (using AAdvantage miles or eVIP's, or AsiaMiles) or to X (using stickers as companion of an AA elite).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.