Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Consider Monterrey for an Overnight (or two) Run

I swore off same-day miles and MQD runs because they are just too exhausting and defeat the whole purpose of traveling, which is to see stuff.

Monterrey (MTY) is a great MQD run from TIJ because you have to fly up and down the length of Mexico to connect in Mexico City. One can stay overnight or two or three, and do interesting things each day.

Day 1 -- After arrival, call for a pick-up to the airport Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn (same van). After settling in and resting up for dinner, walk a block to il Castello di Frabo. I think it is among the best Italian restaurants in North America. You can spend the evening there for a superb meal at a very fair price.

Day 2 -- Take a taxi to the other Crowne Plaza on the south side of Monterrey. The Macroplaza is nearby. On the east side of the Macroplaza are two museums -- a contemporary art museum and a local history museum. Both are excellent. The neighborhood on the east side of Macroplaza is Barrio Antiguo. Old colonial buildings, bars, and restaurants.

Day 3 -- I did not do this, but I understand it should be possible to hire a guide to take you to the waterfalls and forest in the mountains just south of Monterrey.

Monterrey seems safe in the day, but I would stay inside at night. For what it's worth, I did not see any other tourists and I'm OK with simple Spanish.
Boraxo, jfkeze, JetSetDave and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 24, 2022 at 1:30 am
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Planning to fly into SAN and use CBX shuttle from SAN to TIJ for TIJ-MEX-SDJ trip.

1) Just wanted to confirm if Negative Test is required for SAN-TIJ if we are using CBX Shuttle ? As per above comment is not required ?
2) Just wanted to confirm if Negative Test is required for TIJ-SAN if we are using CBX Shuttle ? As per above comment is not required ?
3) Where is the Immigration process (passport control) done and how much time we need to plan with CBX shuttle ? Is it like 2 or 4 hours ?
1. No covid test is required on outbound. Going from SAN to TIJ via CBX via the shuttle is no different than if you just got a ride from a friend, or Uber, or Lyft from the San Diego airport. You may find it quicker and more convenient, but a lot more expensive, to take Uber or Lyft to CBX. On your return *from* CDX, the problem is that CBX is in the middle of nowhere, and drivers don't want to go that far unpaid for a pick-up.

2. No covid test is required for the return from Cabo to TIJ. You are simply doing a domestic Mexico flight. Entering the USA via the CBX land crossing is a separate matter. Americans don't need a covid test to return home by a land crossing. When you arrive back at the TIJ airport, be careful not to exit out to the front of the airport. Look for the CBX entrance towards baggage and to the right.

3. US passport control is on the USA side of the CBX bridge. It might take 15 minutes if not in busy season and you have a Global Entry CARD (not just the global entry OK on a boarding pass). To clarify, to use Global Entry at a land crossing, you need the actual plastic card because our government is too cheap to put the airport kiosks at land crossings like CBX. It took me two hours to cross CBX in early January because I forgot my Global Entry card. That is definitely busy season, but not as bad as Christmas.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
You can't get ff miles from both AM's program and Delta's ff program (Skymiles) for the same trip. If you want Skymiles, then do not use an AeroMexico login when you go to their website to buy the ticket. On AM's website (and not logged in), after you choose your flight, you enter your biographical info. Scroll down and you'll see a blank box for ff program. Click the tiny triangle to open a pick list, and select Delta Skymiles.

When flying, keep all your boarding passes in case miles do not post. If they do not post, you have to follow up with Delta (not AeroMexico). If AeroMexico miles post on the trip, then you are not going to get Delta Skymiles.

Perhaps its just my Delta account but I have flown AM for at least 25-30 flights in the last 3 or 4 years and have NEVER seen my DL Skymiles account show up when I put my skymiles number in the Website. While some of their systems seem to recognize that I am delta Skymiles member (and the status level) they seem to NEVER have my Skymiles number printed on the boarding pass UNLESS my first leg was flown by Delta. So I simply always ensure my SM number is on the boarding pass by asking the checkin or gate agent to look it up and add it if needed and print me out a NEW boarding card that reflects what is in there system. Again, for me, its only when I ensure that, that I have not had an issue with miles posting correctly to Delta. The one set of flights I forgot to do this on the first leg, it resulted in me fighting Delta and AM for months to get it corrected.
YMMV, but this has been my experience for the last 4+ years.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
AM almost always presents issues with Delta , no matter how close they are at times.

Usual Tips:
Insert Delta FFN at time of bookingConfirm Delta FFN at time of check-in
PRINT Boarding Passes that show Delta FFNKeep BPs with the Delta FFN after flight
Prepare to follow up with Delta SkyMiles
Old May 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
booked one of these variants this morning, DFW-ATL-MEX-TIJ-MEX-DFW for $470 r/t. All on AM flight numbers for maximum DL earnings.

google flights showed it booking into business. linked to Justfly.com to purchase, where it also showed "business." confirmation email showed business. Went to the AM website, entered the AM confirmation number, and its all coach. got the PNR on the DL side, and it shows coach as well (basic economy, at that!). SO appears I got a fare mapping error here.

I'll sail past the Gold Medallion threshold this year with the J tickets I have on AF/KL, but this was a nice little 24-hour mileage run for MQM purposes. But its not urgent that I do this.

Is there any point in fighting it with the DOT or should I just take my refund and cut my losses? also how common are these mapping errors on AM? thanks!
Old May 8, 2022, 10:52 am

You can't just delete it within 24 hours?
Old May 8, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
by "cut my losses" i mean just refunding it and not going. Which is the plan, unless FT advises me otherwise
Old May 8, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is one hour enough time for a turnaround in SJD

I know it's a domestic (or national as I've heard locals call it) flight but would I be able to go through security in that short time? The flight arrives at 8:30 and departs at 9:30.
​Any tips from those that have done this before? I'm flying on a Tuesday morning. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks @jfkeze for posting the MR and advice on how to make sure the Delta SkyMiles is shown on AM BP. Also, thanks @infusegm for the tip on CBX - it was helpful and reassuring before my trip.

Finished MR - did a mileage run as well as a mattress run (Hilton). Spent time in MX City (including a day trip to Teotihuacan), Puebla (and Cholula) and Guadalajara. Spent Cinco de Mayo in Puebla, got to try Pulque (like beer but better) and mezcal in addition to Tequila. The trip was very good!

The miles didn't post so requested it through delta's website. No response so called and spoke with an agent. Asked to submit BPs and Receipt (although they were submitted online). E-mailed the requested info and the Skymiles posted within a day.

CBX experience was good, especially because of my Nexus/Global Entry. Otherwise, there was a long line (at least a few hours) for crossing the border on a Friday early morning (around 1am). Stayed inside CBX till 8 am and then took a shuttle to SAN for my return flight home.

The SJD transit time can be an issue if your flight is delayed. My flight left MEX late and arrived in SJD 15 minutes late. I had to go through arrivals, walk outside the building to get back into departure area, and go through security to get back in. It was fine for me since I was one of the first one off the plane and the departure area wasn't too busy. If you have to change flights in MEX, you tell them you have a transfer and they show you the way to get back in the departure area without going through security.

Good luck to those doing this in the future!
jfkeze and JojaFlyer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:09 am

Domestic AM runs for MQD's ex-TIJ

Here are some current lowest rt domestic fares in Clase Premium that are bookable on AeroMexico. The destinations, in order, are Monterrey, Guadalajara, Cabo, Hermosillo, and Ciudad Juarez. CBX crossing ticket is $35 for both directions. I booked a Cabo ticket for July, and noticed the front seating on the MEX-SJD segments is Euro-style (coach seats with the middle seat blocked). The fare code is still "I", which earns 40% of the flown miles as Delta MQD's. In the table below, "Ratio" is MQD divided by price.

Route Miles MQD's Price Ratio

TIJ-MEX-MTY 3,744 1,498 $343 4.37

TIJ-GDL nonstop 2,360 944 $291 3.24

TIJ-MEX-GDL 3,428 1,371 $267 5.14

TIJ-MEX-SJD 4,320 1,728 $331 5.22

TIJ-MEX-HMO 4,860 1,944 $340 5.72

TIJ-MEX-CJS 4,776 1,910 $380 5.03

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 4, 2022 at 1:21 am Reason: I need to add the table.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Good catch, some excellent fares to PVR. Unfortunately they all require a stop in MEX. Seeing even cheaper fares from Volaris and VivaAerobus but no way i would use a ULCC in Mexico as the reviews are awful!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Good catch, some excellent fares to PVR. Unfortunately they all require a stop in MEX. Seeing even cheaper fares from Volaris and VivaAerobus but no way i would use a ULCC in Mexico as the reviews are awful!
The goal is to visit MEX for the MQDs 😉🛫
ebayj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jfkeze
The goal is to visit MEX for the MQDs 😉🛫
LOL. Not everyone visits this forum for mileage runs...I've found many a good fare over the years for vacation travel: )
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:42 pm

LOL. Not everyone visits this forum for mileage runs...I've found many a good fare over the years for vacation travel: )
Weird - given that this is mileage run forum.
CaboRado likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:20 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Seeing even cheaper fares from Volaris and VivaAerobus but no way i would use a ULCC in Mexico as the reviews are awful!
Reviews are awful? Have you seen reviews of U.S.-based airlines lately?

Have flown Viva and Volaris many times; planes have always landed at the intended airports. Biggest annoyance is that they don't include the "airport tax" when first checking fares, at least for domestic Mexico routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.