Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by azepine00
and for that particular itinerary you better find time in between flights to do binaxnow test to enable your return at 1 am
9hr layover in GDL seems perfect for that
As of last summer AM was not accepting the Binaxnow test, they did not allow for the remote proctoring. Just a heads up for anyone taking one of these itineraries that goes into the US. Not sure if that is still the case but suggest looking into it.

Very nice fares to pick up some MQDs, thanks OP!
jfkeze likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Hey question for all those who have had layover in MEX. What would be a safe minimum amount of time to transfer planes when flying AM with a layover in MEX? I've never flown on AM but I see its a great way to accumulate MQDs. Thanks All
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Another one, this time from CLT, (if when you click it reprices to a massively higher number, try other days)

CLT-ATL-GDL-TIJ-MEX-MTY-ATL-CLT

CLT-TIJ would earn 9089 MQMs 2424 MQDs 4.69 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 19389 RDMs, Platinum 16965 RDMs, Gold 15753 RDMs, Silver 14542 RDMs, Base 12118 RDMs
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nupey10
Hey question for all those who have had layover in MEX. What would be a safe minimum amount of time to transfer planes when flying AM with a layover in MEX? I've never flown on AM but I see its a great way to accumulate MQDs. Thanks All
I am sure you will hear other opinions, but I personally would not risk anything less than 90mins. And better to have closer to 120mins. Been thru MEX (connections) probably at least 25 times in the last 4 years or so. And always been lucky. But have also been there stuck in passport control (which as I am sure others have said here, you have to go thru each time you come into MEX, weather your "transiting" or not. Same area, as folks that are TERMINATING in MEX, so have seen it where the hall is full and I have waited over an hour. Then you go back out and need to come into Security. Its do-able. Just folks need to be aware. Don't just assume hey, I can make a short connection.
Also keep in mind, AM is not one for being "on time" that often. And have had it were we are parked not at a gate, so then you have to deal with Bus waiting, etc.
MEX (Terminal 2 specifically) is not what I think anyone would call a "well run airport" 😃😀
Pocatello likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks OP. Going to try to combine a TIJ-SJD run with a trip to MEX. Obviously, will have to reposition to TIJ for the run. I'm flying back to Canada from SAN and the flight leaves at 5pm. However, the flight into TIJ arrives just past midnight. First of all, not sure if it's safe at that time so should I look for a flight arriving after 6am? Or are there any places to wait it out till 6am if I arrive at midnight? I see that the shuttle does not start till 8:30. I see that you have to cross arrive at CBX within 2 hours of flying into TIJ. FWIW, I have NEXUS/Global entry. Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I tried searching (here and the greater internet) and couldn't find a clear answer. I a a diamond in SAN and want to fly TIJ-MEX-CUN on AM (booking through AM). I created an AM account, but can't find anywhere to put my SkyMiles number. Called AM and they were no help. I don't think the agent understood what I was asking. How do I get these accounts to talk to each other so I can get my miles and upgrade benefits? Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:53 am

I never created an AM account, just put in my skymiles number into traveler information when booking a ticket
DeltaGoldLass and gnatgirl like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Thanks OP. I have read thru post and wanted to check few things/point if somebody already has done this. Planning to fly into SAN and use CBX shuttle from SAN to TIJ for TIJ-MEX-SDJ trip.

1) Just wanted to confirm if Negative Test is required for SAN-TIJ if we are using CBX Shuttle ? As per above comment is not required ?
2) Just wanted to confirm if Negative Test is required for TIJ-SAN if we are using CBX Shuttle ? As per above comment is not required ?
3) Where is the Immigration process (passport control) done and how much time we need to plan with CBX shuttle ? Is it like 2 or 4 hours ?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Emirates Silver
I live in San Diego and I have used the CBX many times flying out of TIJ. You do not need a test to return through CBX. They consider CBX as a land crossing and no test is required. No test to fly into Mexico from TIJ and no test is required to fly back and cross through CBX at TIJ from Mexico. You will check in with AeroMexico on the US side of CBX, they will tag your luggage. You will go across the CBX bridge with your luggage and than go through Mexican Immigration and security scanner for your bag after that. You will give your luggage to the AeroMexico rep after that and then you will go through security. After security, you will be inside the TIJ airport to go to your gate.
On the way back, you will grab your bag, cross CBX into the US and then go through Immigration on the US side. If you have Global Entry, you must only use your Global Entry Card. This line is the one on the far right. They do not have machines to check Global Entry with a passport or retina scan because they are a "land crossing." As to your CBX Shuttle? It takes approximately, 45 mins from SAN to TIJ CBX. The crossing can all depend on how busy the CBX is. I have seen the line wrap around the luggage carrousel and I have seen it where there is no line. If you give 1 to 1.5 hours from landing to being on the US side would be safe. It is the luggage that takes a while.
JojaFlyer and Pocatello like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by gnatgirl
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I tried searching (here and the greater internet) and couldn't find a clear answer. I a a diamond in SAN and want to fly TIJ-MEX-CUN on AM (booking through AM). I created an AM account, but can't find anywhere to put my SkyMiles number. Called AM and they were no help. I don't think the agent understood what I was asking. How do I get these accounts to talk to each other so I can get my miles and upgrade benefits? Thank you!
Don't use the AM account that you had created. When checking in at the CBX side of the airport, give your Skymiles number to the check-in agent. Make sure to keep ALL your boarding passes because I have had issues where AeroMexico didn't credit my account and I had to upload my boarding passes to the Delta site to get my miles credited. Sometimes, it took me over 30 days after the flight.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by curlingfan
Thanks OP. Going to try to combine a TIJ-SJD run with a trip to MEX. Obviously, will have to reposition to TIJ for the run. I'm flying back to Canada from SAN and the flight leaves at 5pm. However, the flight into TIJ arrives just past midnight. First of all, not sure if it's safe at that time so should I look for a flight arriving after 6am? Or are there any places to wait it out till 6am if I arrive at midnight? I see that the shuttle does not start till 8:30. I see that you have to cross arrive at CBX within 2 hours of flying into TIJ. FWIW, I have NEXUS/Global entry. Thanks!
Since you arrive past midnight, you will need to uber yourself from CBX to SAN airport. SAN Airport is open but the check-in doesn't open till 4 am or so. The first flight out of San Diego is at 6:30 am due to the noise rules of the airport. There are limited seats on the US CBX side and it is safe there. I wouldn't walk around San Ysidro though . On the Global Entry, CBX is a "Land Crossing" so you have to use your Global Entry Card and not your passport to scan at the machine. They dont have machines for retina or passport scanning and if you ask the CBP officer, he will tell you that they are not an airport but a "Land Crossing". Global Entry with the card is the far right side at the immigration line.
Pocatello and curlingfan like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IggySD
As of last summer AM was not accepting the Binaxnow test, they did not allow for the remote proctoring. Just a heads up for anyone taking one of these itineraries that goes into the US. Not sure if that is still the case but suggest looking into it.

Very nice fares to pick up some MQDs, thanks OP!
I flew to MEX a few months back, no issues with the Binax test coming back, they didn't even really care that I had a test as they just glanced at it.
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rob191288
I flew to MEX a few months back, no issues with the Binax test coming back, they didn't even really care that I had a test as they just glanced at it.
Agree. As long as it is the proctored version you are good. In fact you will get a PDF report you can use to present. it also depend where flying to.. Some countries don't except,, so if connecting in US you might need a PCR test..
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by infusegm
Since you arrive past midnight, you will need to uber yourself from CBX to SAN airport. SAN Airport is open but the check-in doesn't open till 4 am or so. The first flight out of San Diego is at 6:30 am due to the noise rules of the airport. There are limited seats on the US CBX side and it is safe there. I wouldn't walk around San Ysidro though . On the Global Entry, CBX is a "Land Crossing" so you have to use your Global Entry Card and not your passport to scan at the machine. They dont have machines for retina or passport scanning and if you ask the CBP officer, he will tell you that they are not an airport but a "Land Crossing". Global Entry with the card is the far right side at the immigration line.
Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Do Not Log In as an AM ff Member to Enter a Skymile ff number

Originally Posted by gnatgirl
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I tried searching (here and the greater internet) and couldn't find a clear answer. I a a diamond in SAN and want to fly TIJ-MEX-CUN on AM (booking through AM). I created an AM account, but can't find anywhere to put my SkyMiles number. Called AM and they were no help. I don't think the agent understood what I was asking. How do I get these accounts to talk to each other so I can get my miles and upgrade benefits?
You can't get ff miles from both AM's program and Delta's ff program (Skymiles) for the same trip. If you want Skymiles, then do not use an AeroMexico login when you go to their website to buy the ticket. On AM's website (and not logged in), after you choose your flight, you enter your biographical info. Scroll down and you'll see a blank box for ff program. Click the tiny triangle to open a pick list, and select Delta Skymiles.

When flying, keep all your boarding passes in case miles do not post. If they do not post, you have to follow up with Delta (not AeroMexico). If AeroMexico miles post on the trip, then you are not going to get Delta Skymiles.
Pocatello and gnatgirl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.