Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

(JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
fare XLX08DN0
Day/Time restrictions
PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Seasonal restrictions
PERMITTED 01NOV 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 28DEC 19 THROUGH
28JAN 20 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Minimum stay requirements
TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 12 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

Maximum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Stopover restrictions

1 STOPOVER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN AREA 3 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

Transfer restrictions
2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
FREE IN YVR/CONTIGUOUS U.S.A./MEXICO/PUERTO RICO/US VIRGIN ISLANDS IN EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
FREE IN JAPAN IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

Sales restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 31OCT 19.

Penalties

CANCELLATIONS: ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 500.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
CHANGES:
BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 400.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
AFTER DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 400.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
Print Wikipost

(JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:03 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I did the same too! How long did it take you to get to the hotel from the airport? Did you take taxi or Uber? Thanks for your help, funny are plans are almost exactly the same lol
I just arrived to the GH a few hours ago - it took exactly 45 minutes in a car from TPE. The flight from NRT to TPE was delayed an hour due to a passenger not boarding but his/her bags being onboard and needing to be offloaded.

And the Shell Flat Neo seats on the 788 that everyone says are terrible... they truly are bad. I was ready to be a counterpoint to the naysayers, but I also disliked it - little padding, weird angles, etc. The food and service were spectacular, though, even on such a relatively short flight!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
I just arrived to the GH a few hours ago - it took exactly 45 minutes in a car from TPE. The flight from NRT to TPE was delayed an hour due to a passenger not boarding but his/her bags being onboard and needing to be offloaded.

And the Shell Flat Neo seats on the 788 that everyone says are terrible... they truly are bad. I was ready to be a counterpoint to the naysayers, but I also disliked it - little padding, weird angles, etc. The food and service were spectacular, though, even on such a relatively short flight!
Thanks for the update, did you take a cab and pay by credit card or did you exchange currency?

What were your thoughts on the sky suite? That's where I plan to do most of my sleeping.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:05 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Thanks for the update, did you take a cab and pay by credit card or did you exchange currency?

What were your thoughts on the sky suite? That's where I plan to do most of my sleeping.
I set up a limo transfer they the hotel since we needed a van, and I needed it to be incredibly seamless due to having tons of luggage and two exhausted kids in tow. My in-laws say that some cans take credit cards but some don’t. Their info might be a little stale, though...

Funny you ask about the seat. I had typed up this little mini review of the flight, which I’ll paste here despite probably belonging in the JL forum:

So overall, I REALLY liked JAL’s 773 business class. I had previously only ever flown their first class, and obviously F is better and worth 20k extra miles on an award redemption, but it’s not THAT much better that I’d ever even remotely consider paying for it (as opposed to LH, where the difference is worth the money depending on fares. This is not to say that JL’s F is bad, it’s simply that I think they do such a good job with their J. Soft product is superb. Dinner was excellent, and felt like nearly as much food as what you get in F. The abalone was perfect and the beef sukiyaki was shockingly good. The kids meal my daughter got looked quite delicious, was three courses (a ton of food), and was played really cutely. FAs also brought around a basket of toys for the kids to pick from. They got cool A350 models as well as little plush coin bags in the shape of a JAL plane.

I know there are some detractors, but I think the Apex seat is great. I am 6’3”, and it was just about long enough for me. I had a middle seat and still felt it was wide enough. Not having to jam my feet into a little cubby was wonderful, and I didn’t find the lack of storage so bad. Certainly better storage than BA, though that’s an admittedly low bar. The fabric keeps you cooler than the leather in F, and the seat felt more continuously flat than the F seat (i.e., I didn’t feel the transitions/gaps between sections of the seat when in lie flat mode).

Shiseido products in WC were very helpful for keeping my face and hands moisturized.

The one major downside in my mind is cabin temp. It was 25-27 degrees in the cabin for a while and then turned down to 23-24 (I got to see the screen with temperatures throughout the cabin as the FA changed them since I was up by the galley stretching my legs). 23-24 was fine, but temp should really be closer to 21-22. I would highly recommend bringing shorts and a t-shirt To change into in case you get hot.

Bottom line, this is an excellent all around J product, and it’s a pleasure to be spoiled by the fantastic service and delicious food and drink. However, if I really needed to get sleep on a certain flight to/from Tokyo, I might book AA to get the cooler cabin temp as well as no temptation to stay awake as there’s no fabulous service, food, or drink that I’d be missing.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:31 pm

Thank you for this, I get hot rather quickly so will be bringing shorts and a t-shirt for sure
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:41 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Excited for you! I leave on 1/26 and return 1/28, just a quick mileage run bc I need to get back to work, I've done this before on United in economy so this will be much more comfortable!

If crediting to AA pls do advise how your eqms and eqds turn out and how long they take to post please!
See below screenshot for EQM/EQD earnings for the outbound AA codeshares. The EQDs correspond approximately proportionally to the distance of each segment as a % of the entire trip (i.e., segment miles / total trip miles * base fare). EQDs will be better on the pure JL flight numbers on the way home.

Posted for me in one day.

Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up JL flights on 12/28 & 12/29 finally appeared on my AA acount:

JL marketed-flights credited after 4 days:

JFK-NRT: 13,490 EQM, 1687 EQD

NRT-TPE: 2712 EQM, 339 EQD

not bad for a R/T fare of ~1800 USD (booked using Amex preferred rates)

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread

ZBigFam and hp12c like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001
JL marketed-flights credited after 4 days:

JFK-NRT: 13,490 EQM, 1687 EQD

NRT-TPE: 2712 EQM, 339 EQD

not bad for a R/T fare of ~1800 USD (booked using Amex preferred rates)

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread

So would multiply that by 2 for round trip? Otherwise my calcs are waaay off
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
See below screenshot for EQM/EQD earnings for the outbound AA codeshares. The EQDs correspond approximately proportionally to the distance of each segment as a % of the entire trip (i.e., segment miles / total trip miles * base fare). EQDs will be better on the pure JL flight numbers on the way home.

Posted for me in one day.

Ahh you flew on AA while I flew on JAL (at least JAL flight number). My earnings should be closer to zips.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Ahh you flew on AA while I flew on JAL (at least JAL flight number). My earnings should be closer to zips.
Codeshare flights are never operated by the carrier with the codeshare flight number. In this case, AA is code sharing with JL, and the flight is operated by JL. JL also has code sharing flight numbers operated by AA.
hp12c likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:24 am

Thanks for this! I booked and was able to route through LAX and try AA's transcon business class for the same price.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by hur88
Thanks for this! I booked and was able to route through LAX and try AA's transcon business class for the same price.
Can you share a link to Google? Would have wanted to book this route if I had known how.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Codeshare flights are never operated by the carrier with the codeshare flight number. In this case, AA is code sharing with JL, and the flight is operated by JL. JL also has code sharing flight numbers operated by AA.
Admittedly I am so very much a noob when it comes to AA and status on airlines (United 1k while flawed was very easy to understand in terms of how to earn).

What confused me about the post earlier is that it didn't show the eqds or eqms I expected. For jfk > tpe in business I would have expected eqds of 4,040(16160*0.25) and eqms of 32,320 (=16160*2)

Are my calcs off?

​​
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Admittedly I am so very much a noob when it comes to AA and status on airlines (United 1k while flawed was very easy to understand in terms of how to earn).

What confused me about the post earlier is that it didn't show the eqds or eqms I expected. For jfk > tpe in business I would have expected eqds of 4,040(16160*0.25) and eqms of 32,320 (=16160*2)

Are my calcs off?

​​
Every airline codeshares with its partners, including UA. As you are probably aware, UA has updated its earning criteria to something similar as AA/DL when comes to partner flights on partner ticket stock.

When comes to AA earnings on JL flghts/ticket, please refer to its chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

The booking fare basis becomes critical to determine the number of miles (elite + redeemable) you can earn.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
JAL flights

Are my calcs off?
​​
For JAL-marketed flights, my AA account got credited with:

2 * 16202 EQM

2 * 2026 EQD

So your numbers are close enough!
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Are my calcs off?​​
Your calculations are 100% correct for flights booked as JL flight numbers. Flights booked as partner flight numbers are EASY when crediting to AA, it is always a combination of flight distance * fare code multiplier.

16,160 flown miles in booking code X on JL flight numbers will earn $4040 EQD and 32k EQM...no ifs ands or buts about it.

The first earnings post above was for flights booked as AA flight numbers, which will earn EQD based on the actual fare paid for the ticket. So a $2k JFK-TPE roundtrip on JL metal but sold as the AA codeshare flight numbers will earn approximately $1k in EQD each direction.
ZBigFam and hp12c like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.