FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:05 pm
hp12c

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thanks for the update, did you take a cab and pay by credit card or did you exchange currency?

What were your thoughts on the sky suite? That's where I plan to do most of my sleeping.
I set up a limo transfer they the hotel since we needed a van, and I needed it to be incredibly seamless due to having tons of luggage and two exhausted kids in tow. My in-laws say that some cans take credit cards but some don’t. Their info might be a little stale, though...

Funny you ask about the seat. I had typed up this little mini review of the flight, which I’ll paste here despite probably belonging in the JL forum:

So overall, I REALLY liked JAL’s 773 business class. I had previously only ever flown their first class, and obviously F is better and worth 20k extra miles on an award redemption, but it’s not THAT much better that I’d ever even remotely consider paying for it (as opposed to LH, where the difference is worth the money depending on fares. This is not to say that JL’s F is bad, it’s simply that I think they do such a good job with their J. Soft product is superb. Dinner was excellent, and felt like nearly as much food as what you get in F. The abalone was perfect and the beef sukiyaki was shockingly good. The kids meal my daughter got looked quite delicious, was three courses (a ton of food), and was played really cutely. FAs also brought around a basket of toys for the kids to pick from. They got cool A350 models as well as little plush coin bags in the shape of a JAL plane.

I know there are some detractors, but I think the Apex seat is great. I am 6’3”, and it was just about long enough for me. I had a middle seat and still felt it was wide enough. Not having to jam my feet into a little cubby was wonderful, and I didn’t find the lack of storage so bad. Certainly better storage than BA, though that’s an admittedly low bar. The fabric keeps you cooler than the leather in F, and the seat felt more continuously flat than the F seat (i.e., I didn’t feel the transitions/gaps between sections of the seat when in lie flat mode).

Shiseido products in WC were very helpful for keeping my face and hands moisturized.

The one major downside in my mind is cabin temp. It was 25-27 degrees in the cabin for a while and then turned down to 23-24 (I got to see the screen with temperatures throughout the cabin as the FA changed them since I was up by the galley stretching my legs). 23-24 was fine, but temp should really be closer to 21-22. I would highly recommend bringing shorts and a t-shirt To change into in case you get hot.

Bottom line, this is an excellent all around J product, and it’s a pleasure to be spoiled by the fantastic service and delicious food and drink. However, if I really needed to get sleep on a certain flight to/from Tokyo, I might book AA to get the cooler cabin temp as well as no temptation to stay awake as there’s no fabulous service, food, or drink that I’d be missing.