Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/IB ALG-LAX rt Business $1500-1900

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/IB ALG-LAX rt Business $1500-1900

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
My experience was that the Algerian visa was checked at every point in my journey, as follows:

SFO-JFK AA check-in desk, cursory glance
JFK-LHR BA CCR, forensic examination
LGW-ALG Didn't happen as I only had a single entry granted and had already used that up ...
I am amazed that they weren't bothered by the entry stamp on the visa, given that it is a single entry visa?!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by linz36
I am amazed that they weren't bothered by the entry stamp on the visa, given that it is a single entry visa?!
Well, he did give it a really close examination, but it was only in French and Arabic and he clearly only read English - so missed the fact (thank goodness !) that it was single entry and had already been stamped
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KipKe
Now my question is this: I am a European citizen (needing a visa for ALG). Will I still need that visa when getting off in LHR with no intention at all to fly to ALG? The return leg from the USA (2 flights) are with BA, with a long (23h) layover so I have a good reason to check my bags to LHR and not to ALG.
At what point do they check the visa? Does anyone know? Will BA already check it in the USA and possibly deny me boarding to LHR?
It's not that I cannot get a visa, but maybe all the trouble isn't necessary if I don't actually go there.
Also, if I book another separate one way with BA from LHR (before the ALG flight), will they notice?
You have a connection at LHR, not a layover. Your documents should be checked at the last stopover before your journey to Algeria. BA would be entitled to deny you boarding. Whether your bags are checked through or not is of no consequence.

BA is unlikely to notice your onward flight from LHR.

And what if I tell them "my travel plans changed" and I show them another ticket from LHR? They'll adjust the fare right then and there?
BA would be entitled under the contract of carriage to recalculate the fare. I would not advise bringing that to their attention.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Thanks for your insights. You are right, I have a long 23h connection, not a layover. However, I still don't want my bags checked to ALG ;-).
So your guess is BA will check for the visa in the USA? Showing them a ticket from London to the EU won't help?
Now, I cannot get a visa without a date that I will be departing the country (which I am not planning on entering).
That leaves me 2 options: find a very cheap flight back to the EU within a certain time frame + get a visa for that period or take the risk that they deny me boarding if I cannot convince them that I am not going to ALG (but what would be a good excuse for that?). Am I perhaps missing an option?

Last edited by KipKe; Aug 4, 2018 at 3:30 am Reason: forgot sthing
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:37 am

Am I perhaps missing an option?
Could you not buy a cheap throwaway ticket ALG-EU, departing within 24 hours of arrival in ALG, and therefore tell BA you are doing Transit Without Visa?

Furthermore, I believe the BA flight to ALG departs from LGW so if you are arriving from USA at LHR, you have to collect your bags at LHR and re-check them (or not!) at LGW. Which would solve the checked bags problem.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDFan
Could you not buy a cheap throwaway ticket ALG-EU, departing within 24 hours of arrival in ALG, and therefore tell BA you are doing Transit Without Visa?

Furthermore, I believe the BA flight to ALG departs from LGW so if you are arriving from USA at LHR, you have to collect your bags at LHR and re-check them (or not!) at LGW. Which would solve the checked bags problem.
Does Algeria have TWOV ? I wasn't aware of that...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch
Does Algeria have TWOV ? I wasn't aware of that...
Code:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
- Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a
third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the
international transit area of the airport and have documents
required for the next destination.
- TWOV does not apply to passengers with a travel document
issued by the Palestinian Territory.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Free agent
I’ve got a return booked next year for DFW-MAD-FCO-ALG. I do not know why I did not consider the fact that I’d need a visa even if I had no intention of going to ALG. I’m fine unless they check it in DFW. If I do arrive at DFW without one am I assured to be denied boarding on DFW-MAD?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jmail1
I’ve got a return booked next year for DFW-MAD-FCO-ALG. I do not know why I did not consider the fact that I’d need a visa even if I had no intention of going to ALG. I’m fine unless they check it in DFW. If I do arrive at DFW without one am I assured to be denied boarding on DFW-MAD?
A visa is required for you to board in DFW. Get the visa or buy a separate ticket for ALG-RAK (or something like that) and hope AA will accept it.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
A visa is required for you to board in DFW. Get the visa or buy a separate ticket for ALG-RAK (or something like that) and hope AA will accept it.
Thank you. I don’t like the idea of having to hope it works, would they have grounds for denying me boarding if Algeria had clear TWOV rules? Same thing happened on my outbound when flying from CAI-ALG then ALG-DFW and my onward ticket was enough.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jmail1
Thank you. I don’t like the idea of having to hope it works, would they have grounds for denying me boarding if Algeria had clear TWOV rules? Same thing happened on my outbound when flying from CAI-ALG then ALG-DFW and my onward ticket was enough.
Generally speaking, TWOV only applies to pax in transit (by definition on a single ticket). You're doing an immediate turn around at ALG; that's not a transit, so the TWOV rules don't apply.

As far as the airline is concerned, your final destination is ALG, which requires a visa. They'd be within their rights to deny you boarding at DFW because they have no way of guaranteeing you'll leave ALG. Now, you might get someone to bend the rules for you or you may not. If you want a guarantee, get a visa.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swingaling
Generally speaking, TWOV only applies to pax in transit (by definition on a single ticket).
I am not sure I can agree with you there. I suspect most immigration authorities have no idea what the difference between a “single ticket” connection and two separate tickets is. The wording also usually says “TWOV: Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket to a third country” (standard TIMATIC boiler plate); not “passengers travelling on a through ticket”.

They'd be within their rights to deny you boarding at DFW because they have no way of guaranteeing you'll leave ALG.
From the airlines’ perspective, the IATA rules on refused entry also make provisions for a person holding a separate onward ticket for that ticket to be used immediately for the person’s departure (all restrictions preventing immediate use of that ticket, potentially on a different carrier, should be ignored), and the inbound carrier should take control of that ticket and revalidate it. Although that provision probably doesn’t work so well in the age of electronic ticketing.

What you are right to argue is that some airlines may be reluctant to believe you have onward travel tickets (JL actually likes to look up the other ticket and annotate your current PNR with it), or they may think (wrongly) it only applies to true connecting flights. In my experience BA and AA are totally fine with it, although it may require a bit of time. IB on the other hand may be a bit more annoying, I’ve no experience with them.

So it probably is slightly risky, but it really should not be, and if you have problems, please escalate.

On the issue of going back to the same country, yes, that is not really covered by the TWOV rules, and looks suspicious and confusing.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 5, 2018 at 3:16 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I am not sure I can agree with you there. I suspect most immigration authorities have no idea what the difference between a “single ticket” connection and two separate tickets is. The wording also usually says “TWOV: Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket to a third country” (standard TIMATIC boiler plate); not “passengers travelling on a through ticket”.

From the airlines’ perspective, the IATA rules on refused entry also make provisions for a person holding a separate onward ticket for that ticket to be used immediately for the person’s departure (all restrictions preventing immediate use of that ticket, potentially on a different carrier, should be ignored), and the inbound carrier should take control of that ticket and revalidate it. Although that provision probably doesn’t work so well in the age of electronic ticketing.

What you are right to argue is that some airlines may be reluctant to believe you have onward travel tickets (JL actually likes to look up the other ticket and annotate your current PNR with it), or they may think (wrongly) it only applies to true connecting flights. In my experience BA and AA are totally fine with it, although it may require a bit of time. IB on the other hand may be a bit more annoying, I’ve no experience with them.

So it probably is slightly risky, but it really should not be, and if you have problems, please escalate.

On the issue of going back to the same country, yes, that is not really covered by the TWOV rules, and looks suspicious and confusing.
Thank you, this is the kind of risk I can handle.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Originally Posted by NDFan

Thanks for your answers. You are absolutely right, it is LGW (sorry, too many flights booked), but I have a 23h connection time (overnight) before the LGW-ALG flight. That, to me, seems like a very good reason to check my bags to LGW and not to ALG, or not?
What would happen if I showed them a separate booking for LGW to another European destination on a date preceding the LGW-ALG flight (i.e. the same day I arrive at LGW)? The LGW-ALG flight is the next day.

Also, I see the next OP here has the same problem as me and was advised to get a one way to RAK. Is that an option for me (no visa needed) or would i have to show a return ticket from RAK to the EU?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:32 am

Thanks for your answers. You are absolutely right, it is LGW (sorry, too many flights booked), but I have a 23h connection time (overnight) before the LGW-ALG flight. That, to me, seems like a very good reason to check my bags to LGW and not to ALG, or not?
If you arrive from the USA to LHR, there is no problem as you have to collect your bags at LHR.
If you arrive from USA to LGW, with an onward flight from LGW but with a 23 hr overnight connection, I believe (but cannot confirm) that BA will short check your bags to LGW. You should call and ask them.

What would happen if I showed them a separate booking for LGW to another European destination on a date preceding the LGW-ALG flight (i.e. the same day I arrive at LGW)? The LGW-ALG flight is the next day.
That won't help because they will know that you don't intend to fly the whole ticket to ALG so they will probably re-price your USA-LON ticket.

Also, I see the next OP here has the same problem as me and was advised to get a one way to RAK. Is that an option for me (no visa needed) or would i have to show a return ticket from RAK to the EU?
I'm not quite sure why he suggested RAK. Iberia/Vueling have inexpensive flights from ALG to Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona. I would get one of those.
It would be a good idea also to print out the relevant TWOV rule, in case BA check-in agents in USA are not familiar with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.