Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:21 pm

Anyone have luck booking this fare? I can find it on the LATAM website, enter passenger details, enter CC info, but when submitting it errors like above poster with "The operation was not completed, please try again later" message.

Tried multiple browsers, multiple cards, same issue when my travel partner tried to book on his end. Called LATAM and after 40 mins on the phone the best the agent could find was ~$4k
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Trevor Moran
Anyone have luck booking this fare? I can find it on the LATAM website, enter passenger details, enter CC info, but when submitting it errors like above poster with "The operation was not completed, please try again later" message.

Tried multiple browsers, multiple cards, same issue when my travel partner tried to book on his end. Called LATAM and after 40 mins on the phone the best the agent could find was ~$4k
I encountered the same issue when trying to book mine several times on the US website. Tried the same procedure once on the Chilean website and the payment went through without a hitch.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:01 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MileTex
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
Wow, that is definitely a mistake I would have made if I jumped on this fare. I assume you had to book another ticket from JFK on your own?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Was this on the same route, MIA-GRU-JNB? Normally, they only ask if you were in transit for more than 12 hours or originating from Brazil.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I believe the problem is avoided if you are same-day transferring flights at GRU, i.e. have a stopover of less than 8 hours iirc..
My wife and I were caught by this rule last year (a different fare), when we checked-in after an overnight stay in downtown Sao Paulo, but were able to partially resolve the issue by arranging an immediate connection at JNB to MRU (Mauritius has no such Yellow Fever requirement). [We were, however, not allowed to board our originally scheduled GRU - JNB flight, went to get Yellow Fever vaccinations, and were reaccommodated the following day. When flying back from MRU to JNB a few days later there were no Yellow Fever issues.]
Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Still trying to book this fare. Can see $2323 on Google Flights. Linking through Google flights to LATAM the price stays the same. When I try and book through LATAM's USA or Chilean site I get an error message at the end of checkout. Orbitz and my travel agent can only get those flights for $2700ish. I've called LATAM and given them the flight numbers and they can't even get close to $2323. Anyone have any luck getting these for $2323 or lower?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swainton
Still trying to book this fare. Can see $2323 on Google Flights. Linking through Google flights to LATAM the price stays the same. When I try and book through LATAM's USA or Chilean site I get an error message at the end of checkout. Orbitz and my travel agent can only get those flights for $2700ish. I've called LATAM and given them the flight numbers and they can't even get close to $2323. Anyone have any luck getting these for $2323 or lower?
Try searching for the same flights on the Chilean website--worked for me a week ago.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Try searching for the same flights on the Chilean website--worked for me a week ago.
I just tried that right now. I can get the fare at $2323 to load on the Chilean website without using the Google flights link. I get all the way to the end and get an error message after checkout. I tried creating an account and holding the reservation as well as inputting my credit card # and get the same result. Bummer.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Originally Posted by swainton
I just tried that right now. I can get the fare at $2323 to load on the Chilean website without using the Google flights link. I get all the way to the end and get an error message after checkout. I tried creating an account and holding the reservation as well as inputting my credit card # and get the same result. Bummer.
Same here. It loads on all their sites but errors out. Every other OTA I'm seeing it reprices it to $2522. Still a good fare but not much in the way of EQD with it booking into Z.

That said, using multi-city directly on LATAM US site, I was able to add SCL for no additional cost. My routing is MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA, on 4/16 - 5/1. SCL-GRU books into J for 25% EQD on AA.

I already have a trip planned to JNB/CPT so this saves me the 150k AA miles I was burning on QR and gets me closer to EXP for 2018. Will miss out on the Q suite though (for now)

Last edited by jaytmoore; Feb 13, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Anyone try booking through AMeX IAP desk?

i may give that a try...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by rollthere
Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?
you shouldn’t but one uninformed gate agent in MIA or JNB could think you do and they have the power to not let you board the plane. All the correct information won’t do you any good if they dig in. Same goes for traveling to JNB through Brazil regarding a yellow fever shot. I got both the visa and yellow fever shot both to avoid any hassles.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:15 pm

OTA for $2500

Could never get these flights to price out at $2300 on the LATAM site and actually go through the purchase process. Always got an error. Ended up booking them through an OTA for $2500. I put the extra SCL leg in there as well. Felt it better to fly from SCL-GRU and earn those miles than just sit in the lounge in GRU earning some high chlosteral. The flight from GRU-JNB I could only get on SAA so won’t be getting any miles there. There was an option for $2300 but it required an 18 hour layover in GRU on the return.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Do fare rules permit stopovers in Brazil on this fare?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Do fare rules permit stopovers in Brazil on this fare?
when i tried adding a stopover on the return, the fare bumped up to the J variant of the fare. I could not get the I or Z fares to allow a stopover.

The fare rules seem to require a HIP check so not surprising.

I seem to recall that there are very cheap fares for Mia-GRU-MIa and GRU-JNB-GRU so the most economical way may be to buy these two separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.