FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1887615-la-mia-jnb-r-t-j-2-300-a.html)

zoqfotpik Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Anyone looking for a flight to South Africa from US? There's this sub 2.5k fare from MIA to JNB which I think is a great deal! You can route within S.America for even more miles as long MPM allows.

LATAM (JJ) ZEEEV58Q

https://goo.gl/flights/9aFjC

kodawg9 Jan 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Solid mileage earning with AS; I didn't play around with routes to add some internal South America flights (i.e. I'd try to avoid GRU-MIA on the angle flat 777's but instead try and build in GRU-SCL-MIA which are served by the 767 and 787s with lie flats), but the MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA gets you about 43K RDM w/o MVP bonus and 24K elite miles.

UserMark Jan 11, 2018 7:17 am

No Alaska credit for JJ flights, I think.

PABLOCO Jan 11, 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by kodawg9 (Post 29277477)
Solid mileage earning with AS; I didn't play around with routes to add some internal South America flights (i.e. I'd try to avoid GRU-MIA on the angle flat 777's but instead try and build in GRU-SCL-MIA which are served by the 767 and 787s with lie flats), but the MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA gets you about 43K RDM w/o MVP bonus and 24K elite miles.

JJ 777 is a very good hard product, even if i have to choose from the LA 789 i will take the 777. The 767 has the same cabin has the 788 that do offer more leg room. (If you are 6ft or more, you will hit the other seat with your feet on the 789)

kodawg9 Jan 11, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by UserMark (Post 29278852)

you’re right, thanks. LATAM just gets tricky with these things but the former TAM runs the GRU-JNB which won’t credit on AS.

kbjarvis Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am

Looks like there are dates for Feb - early June, then mid-August thru Mid-Oct...best prices range from $2100 - $2700 (before shooting back up to $4k+).

MIKETWA1 Jan 11, 2018 11:07 am

God I hope someone within the *Alliance will match this fare. I would love to jump on this.

236Dakota Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark (Post 29278852)

How about AA credit?

flyerCO Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 29281543)
How about AA credit?

Of course. LATAM is part of OW. However the tricky part is how the flight is coded. LATAM still markets their flights under the different carrier codes. Thus if it's marketed as LATAM (JJ) it'll earn one way, and if marketed with the older TAM code a different method. Thus be careful how it's coded.

cheltzel Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29281649)
Of course. LATAM is part of OW. However the tricky part is how the flight is coded. LATAM still markets their flights under the different carrier codes. Thus if it's marketed as LATAM (JJ) it'll earn one way, and if marketed with the older TAM code a different method. Thus be careful how it's coded.

On the way to JNB it looks like the MIA-SCL and SCL-GRU segments are LA and the GRU-JNB leg may be legacy JJ. The GRU-JNB flight is LA8162 and with that high a number may be a code share.

On the way back it looks like a code share JNB-GRU and a code share flight to MIA. Both are in the LA8xxx range.

Keter Jan 11, 2018 10:32 pm

This fare is also available to CPT, but sadly even at 25M it is at least 150 miles short of the MPM allowance if to be routed via MAD. Maybe there are other cities that are possible to route via Europe. There are 2 similar fares, LA and JJ btw.

eliteone Jan 13, 2018 12:25 pm

OW carrier flt operated by non OW carrier credit to AA??

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 29281779)
On the way to JNB it looks like the MIA-SCL and SCL-GRU segments are LA and the GRU-JNB leg may be legacy JJ. The GRU-JNB flight is LA8162 and with that high a number may be a code share.

On the way back it looks like a code share JNB-GRU and a code share flight to MIA. Both are in the LA8xxx range.

Sorry, if not the right place, but the GRU-JNB-GRU segments on this is flown by SA, though carries LATAM flight #s . Do these segments count towards AA EQM and EQDs? Thanks.

zoqfotpik Jan 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by eliteone (Post 29288596)
Sorry, if not the right place, but the GRU-JNB-GRU segments on this is flown by SA, though carries LATAM flight #s . Do these segments count towards AA EQM and EQDs? Thanks.

No, it needs to be operated/marketed by OW carrier. However, you can get the GRU-JNB on LATAM too.

cheltzel Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by eliteone (Post 29288596)

No SA flights are involved I believe. The GRU-JNB legs I see have flight #'s that match the corresponding JJ flight #'s in the schedule. Like LA8162 (GRU-JNB) and there is a JJ8162 in the schedule operating with the same departure/arrival times. And LA8163/JJ8163 for the return leg to GRU from JNB.

The other LA8xxx flights are within the Americas and these cannot be SA flights..

rollthere Jan 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?