Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Anyone looking for a flight to South Africa from US? There's this sub 2.5k fare from MIA to JNB which I think is a great deal! You can route within S.America for even more miles as long MPM allows.

LATAM (JJ) ZEEEV58Q

https://goo.gl/flights/9aFjC
Sherryfl1980 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:25 pm

Solid mileage earning with AS; I didn't play around with routes to add some internal South America flights (i.e. I'd try to avoid GRU-MIA on the angle flat 777's but instead try and build in GRU-SCL-MIA which are served by the 767 and 787s with lie flats), but the MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA gets you about 43K RDM w/o MVP bonus and 24K elite miles.
spartan301 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:17 am

No Alaska credit for JJ flights, I think.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by kodawg9
Solid mileage earning with AS; I didn't play around with routes to add some internal South America flights (i.e. I'd try to avoid GRU-MIA on the angle flat 777's but instead try and build in GRU-SCL-MIA which are served by the 767 and 787s with lie flats), but the MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA gets you about 43K RDM w/o MVP bonus and 24K elite miles.
JJ 777 is a very good hard product, even if i have to choose from the LA 789 i will take the 777. The 767 has the same cabin has the 788 that do offer more leg room. (If you are 6ft or more, you will hit the other seat with your feet on the 789)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by UserMark
you’re right, thanks. LATAM just gets tricky with these things but the former TAM runs the GRU-JNB which won’t credit on AS.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Looks like there are dates for Feb - early June, then mid-August thru Mid-Oct...best prices range from $2100 - $2700 (before shooting back up to $4k+).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:07 am

God I hope someone within the *Alliance will match this fare. I would love to jump on this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by UserMark
How about AA credit?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
How about AA credit?
Of course. LATAM is part of OW. However the tricky part is how the flight is coded. LATAM still markets their flights under the different carrier codes. Thus if it's marketed as LATAM (JJ) it'll earn one way, and if marketed with the older TAM code a different method. Thus be careful how it's coded.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Of course. LATAM is part of OW. However the tricky part is how the flight is coded. LATAM still markets their flights under the different carrier codes. Thus if it's marketed as LATAM (JJ) it'll earn one way, and if marketed with the older TAM code a different method. Thus be careful how it's coded.
On the way to JNB it looks like the MIA-SCL and SCL-GRU segments are LA and the GRU-JNB leg may be legacy JJ. The GRU-JNB flight is LA8162 and with that high a number may be a code share.

On the way back it looks like a code share JNB-GRU and a code share flight to MIA. Both are in the LA8xxx range.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
This fare is also available to CPT, but sadly even at 25M it is at least 150 miles short of the MPM allowance if to be routed via MAD. Maybe there are other cities that are possible to route via Europe. There are 2 similar fares, LA and JJ btw.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM
OW carrier flt operated by non OW carrier credit to AA??

Originally Posted by cheltzel
On the way to JNB it looks like the MIA-SCL and SCL-GRU segments are LA and the GRU-JNB leg may be legacy JJ. The GRU-JNB flight is LA8162 and with that high a number may be a code share.

On the way back it looks like a code share JNB-GRU and a code share flight to MIA. Both are in the LA8xxx range.
Sorry, if not the right place, but the GRU-JNB-GRU segments on this is flown by SA, though carries LATAM flight #s . Do these segments count towards AA EQM and EQDs? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eliteone
Sorry, if not the right place, but the GRU-JNB-GRU segments on this is flown by SA, though carries LATAM flight #s . Do these segments count towards AA EQM and EQDs? Thanks.
No, it needs to be operated/marketed by OW carrier. However, you can get the GRU-JNB on LATAM too.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by eliteone
No SA flights are involved I believe. The GRU-JNB legs I see have flight #'s that match the corresponding JJ flight #'s in the schedule. Like LA8162 (GRU-JNB) and there is a JJ8162 in the schedule operating with the same departure/arrival times. And LA8163/JJ8163 for the return leg to GRU from JNB.

The other LA8xxx flights are within the Americas and these cannot be SA flights..
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.