Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

LA: MIA-JNB r/t in J for ~$2,300

Old Feb 9, 18, 6:21 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Anyone have luck booking this fare? I can find it on the LATAM website, enter passenger details, enter CC info, but when submitting it errors like above poster with "The operation was not completed, please try again later" message.

Tried multiple browsers, multiple cards, same issue when my travel partner tried to book on his end. Called LATAM and after 40 mins on the phone the best the agent could find was ~$4k
Trevor Moran is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 8:03 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,679
Originally Posted by Trevor Moran View Post
Anyone have luck booking this fare? I can find it on the LATAM website, enter passenger details, enter CC info, but when submitting it errors like above poster with "The operation was not completed, please try again later" message.

Tried multiple browsers, multiple cards, same issue when my travel partner tried to book on his end. Called LATAM and after 40 mins on the phone the best the agent could find was ~$4k
I encountered the same issue when trying to book mine several times on the US website. Tried the same procedure once on the Chilean website and the payment went through without a hitch.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:01 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Posts: 818
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
aztimm likes this.
MileTex is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:07 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,945
Originally Posted by MileTex View Post
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
Wow, that is definitely a mistake I would have made if I jumped on this fare. I assume you had to book another ticket from JFK on your own?
mcgahat is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:43 pm
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by MileTex View Post
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
Was this on the same route, MIA-GRU-JNB? Normally, they only ask if you were in transit for more than 12 hours or originating from Brazil.
zoqfotpik is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:43 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,546
Originally Posted by MileTex View Post
Just a WARNING for anyone traveling from GRU-JNB. I had a ticket last week to fly on LATAM GRU- JNB and was refused boarding as I did not have an International Yellow Fever certificate. Basically most countries in S. America are on a list that requires the certificate for travel to S. Africa. I asked about running into town and getting a shot but 10 days are required after the inoculation before travel can commence. I tried to rebook via Europe but that wasn't allowed as the reservation would show I originated in GRU. In the end I had to fly back to JFK and then catch S. African Airways nonstop to JNB. Talk about a long day
I believe the problem is avoided if you are same-day transferring flights at GRU, i.e. have a stopover of less than 8 hours iirc..
My wife and I were caught by this rule last year (a different fare), when we checked-in after an overnight stay in downtown Sao Paulo, but were able to partially resolve the issue by arranging an immediate connection at JNB to MRU (Mauritius has no such Yellow Fever requirement). [We were, however, not allowed to board our originally scheduled GRU - JNB flight, went to get Yellow Fever vaccinations, and were reaccommodated the following day. When flying back from MRU to JNB a few days later there were no Yellow Fever issues.]
Forewarned is forearmed.
jbalmuth is offline  
Old Feb 11, 18, 2:32 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7
Still trying to book this fare. Can see $2323 on Google Flights. Linking through Google flights to LATAM the price stays the same. When I try and book through LATAM's USA or Chilean site I get an error message at the end of checkout. Orbitz and my travel agent can only get those flights for $2700ish. I've called LATAM and given them the flight numbers and they can't even get close to $2323. Anyone have any luck getting these for $2323 or lower?
swainton is offline  
Old Feb 11, 18, 8:40 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,679
Originally Posted by swainton View Post
Still trying to book this fare. Can see $2323 on Google Flights. Linking through Google flights to LATAM the price stays the same. When I try and book through LATAM's USA or Chilean site I get an error message at the end of checkout. Orbitz and my travel agent can only get those flights for $2700ish. I've called LATAM and given them the flight numbers and they can't even get close to $2323. Anyone have any luck getting these for $2323 or lower?
Try searching for the same flights on the Chilean website--worked for me a week ago.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:05 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Try searching for the same flights on the Chilean website--worked for me a week ago.
I just tried that right now. I can get the fare at $2323 to load on the Chilean website without using the Google flights link. I get all the way to the end and get an error message after checkout. I tried creating an account and holding the reservation as well as inputting my credit card # and get the same result. Bummer.
swainton is offline  
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:55 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SJC/MRY
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by swainton View Post
I just tried that right now. I can get the fare at $2323 to load on the Chilean website without using the Google flights link. I get all the way to the end and get an error message after checkout. I tried creating an account and holding the reservation as well as inputting my credit card # and get the same result. Bummer.
Same here. It loads on all their sites but errors out. Every other OTA I'm seeing it reprices it to $2522. Still a good fare but not much in the way of EQD with it booking into Z.

That said, using multi-city directly on LATAM US site, I was able to add SCL for no additional cost. My routing is MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB-GRU-MIA, on 4/16 - 5/1. SCL-GRU books into J for 25% EQD on AA.

I already have a trip planned to JNB/CPT so this saves me the 150k AA miles I was burning on QR and gets me closer to EXP for 2018. Will miss out on the Q suite though (for now)

Last edited by jaytmoore; Feb 13, 18 at 10:49 am
jaytmoore is offline  
Old Feb 27, 18, 3:38 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,654
Anyone try booking through AMeX IAP desk?

i may give that a try...
stephem is offline  
Old Feb 27, 18, 4:11 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by rollthere View Post
Probably a stupid question, but does a US citizen need a visa/transit visa to transit GRU on this itinerary?
you shouldn’t but one uninformed gate agent in MIA or JNB could think you do and they have the power to not let you board the plane. All the correct information won’t do you any good if they dig in. Same goes for traveling to JNB through Brazil regarding a yellow fever shot. I got both the visa and yellow fever shot both to avoid any hassles.
swainton is offline  
Old Feb 27, 18, 4:15 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7
OTA for $2500

Could never get these flights to price out at $2300 on the LATAM site and actually go through the purchase process. Always got an error. Ended up booking them through an OTA for $2500. I put the extra SCL leg in there as well. Felt it better to fly from SCL-GRU and earn those miles than just sit in the lounge in GRU earning some high chlosteral. The flight from GRU-JNB I could only get on SAA so won’t be getting any miles there. There was an option for $2300 but it required an 18 hour layover in GRU on the return.
swainton is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 8:58 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Posts: 593
Do fare rules permit stopovers in Brazil on this fare?
kaushik123 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:18 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,654
Originally Posted by kaushik123 View Post
Do fare rules permit stopovers in Brazil on this fare?
when i tried adding a stopover on the return, the fare bumped up to the J variant of the fare. I could not get the I or Z fares to allow a stopover.

The fare rules seem to require a HIP check so not surprising.

I seem to recall that there are very cheap fares for Mia-GRU-MIa and GRU-JNB-GRU so the most economical way may be to buy these two separate tickets.
stephem is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: